Caribou Gear

chat room

well-said121.jpg

We have a chat room...it's disguised as Sportmen Issues....password is woof or GOP.:D

...flatlanders are persona non grata.

Big Fin, It seems like a few years back there used to be one somewhere. Some how, Moosies hunt club or some such name was a part of it. Have been off the computer system for quite awhile and cannot remember the details. Age is part of the memory thing also.

Chat rooms would be fun but it ends up taking alot away from the forum. People generally dont post much since its easier to just talk amongst the people in the chat room. Most good informative forums wont do a chat room for this reason.

Big Fin, It seems like a few years back there used to be one somewhere. Some how, Moosies hunt club or some such name was a part of it. Have been off the computer system for quite awhile and cannot remember the details. Age is part of the memory thing also.
Yes there was a chat room way back in the day. It's use was sporadic at best, though I did get hit on once while participating... :eek:

Chat rooms would be fun but it ends up taking alot away from the forum. People generally dont post much since its easier to just talk amongst the people in the chat room. Most good informative forums wont do a chat room for this reason.

^^^ That.

Plus, the software interface between chat rooms and forums is never smooth. Lots of maintenance issues, plus cost. Given the forum, as is, loses about $8K-10K per year, odds are a chat room won't be added.

The forum is a chat room/Green light - go chatting!

Losing too much $$$ - enuf smart guys on here to figure out a solution to break even!?

This won't hold true for long at 8k-10k per year.

"Hunt when you can. You're gonna run outta health before you run outta money."

The forum is a chat room/Green light - go chatting!

Losing too much $$$ - enuf smart guys on here to figure out a solution to break even!?

Some things that could easily be done to change that, but I elect not to.

Revenue side:

• More "intrusive" advertising.
  • Remove the show sponsor ads and replace them with net revenue ads.
  • Work with other ad serving groups who will pay more, but we would have some ads that are completely disconnected to what we are about.

Expense side:

• Archive older threads. Storage is the biggest cost to this site. The data base is huge, due to me not archieving.
  • Limit attachments. Require pics to be hosted on some other platform, such as Photobucket and let them incur the storage costs.
  • Try to do more of the maintenance myself. But, given the number of hours I spend on the TV show, volunteer work, and the site, not sure any maintenance would get done.

The good news is, the site is no longer losing $20K per year, as a result of the ads we have placed in the upper right and the right side skyscraper. Our DVD sales have helped offset more costs, though my work to provide more of this on a web-based platform is reducing DVD sales. As traffic increases, as it does each quarter, so does ad revenue. In two years, I think the forum will be at break-even, possibly sooner. Not sure what my wife will say when it actually gets "above water."

All of this is a mix of wanting to have a site people like, that attracts the kind of people I think have a passion for the things we hold dear, and balanced with not having it cost too much money and take any more time than it already does.

Trust me, if I was out to make money, the last thing I would be doing is a self-guided public-land TV show and a website focused on such. In six years of doing the TV show, I have never taken a single dime from it. I have signed the front of lots of checks, but never signed the back of a check.

I do it with full understanding of what the potential returns, or lack thereof, are for a show and site with this format and focus. Just comes with the territory of a brand based on a concept, rather than a brand of retail products or services. And, a consequence of not pimping low-quality products and not jumping to the sponsor who pays you the most that year, only to move on to the next checkbook the following year.

This message of the show is my passion in life and the power this forum platform provides helps make that more effective. Reality is, if we don't do this show and site, I am not aware of anyone else who would. The other TV shows think I have lost my marbles, and a very good case could be made for that. I think when we speak on a topic or we use a product (many of whom do not pay us to use it) it carries a lot more weight, as all in the industry understand the economics of a show such as ours.

Our TV show is a very high cost model. Probably one of the highest costs out there. We have to apply in many states to get enough tags, resulting in sunk costs in some states where we don't draw. We have the cost of public land filming permits on every hunt, a cost of $1,500-$2,000 per hunt. We need a week to get an episode, while shows on exclusive lands can get them done in a day or two. We use a high-end production company, as I don't want a show that looks like it was produced by in my basement. We turn down a lot of sponsorship opportunities that are junk. All of that is done deliberately, so I accept the financial outcomes that are part of the decisions I make.

So long as I have the health, funds, and spousal permission, I will keep doing it. If any of those disappear, I guess I will have to find something else to occupy my time.

Further and longer explanation of why there will not be a chat room.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back