Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Cedars and Bulls

• Thread starter Deleted member 20812
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 20812

My middle daughter and I decided to take a short but well needed sabbatical to the wild lands of northern Idaho. Simply being a 13 year old girl presents parenting issues, but one thing I've grown to appreciate immensely is her willingness to just go off the grid. There is no complaining about wanting to get back home, needing wi-fi, checking Snapchat or Instagram, yada, yada, yada. So, we charted our course and got lost.

We found the trailhead without issue, thanks to a VERY kind lady with the St. Joe National Forest. A sincere shout out to Ginger at the St. Maries Ranger District office who saved me several hours of heartache had I taken my original route. She gave me a much better alternative that was easy peasy. The Dodge Ram at our launch pad.

008.jpg

009.jpg

The trail was relatively easy going, with (believe it or not) NO mosquitos.

011.jpg

We arrived at destination unknown after a couple of hours. My daughter's biggest concern was that we didn't see anyone else. That made pops VERY proud.

Here is the view from the back porch.

013.jpg

We were in the land of giant cedars and granite. Much of this country is beyond comprehension in terms of how steep and rugged it is.

015.jpg

And I do mean giant cedars.

016.jpg

The fishing was really surprisingly poor, but late in the evening we finally found a deep run where Krista was able to catch her desired quarry, the bull trout. It was fun watching her land this fish on a 5' ultralight spinning rod.

018.jpg

This cutty followed. Both were the biggest fish of the trip.

019.jpg

The final bushwhack. Getting to some of these holes was quite the adventure and we brought home a few battle scars.

020.jpg

I managed to yard out a decent number of 10-14 inch cuts on parachute patterns. The water was VERY cold, to the point of being painful to stand in. I can't think this helped the fishing. This was the last fish of the trip, courtesy of a Panther Martin.

044.jpg

Some random scenery and Henry shots.

024.jpg

026.jpg

046.jpg

It's fun to watch a young adolescent girl be content in the woods. She's okay just being there. She doesn't have to catch a lot of fish. It's just the experience and the presence, and I pray she always holds on to that.

It was an exercise in patience for me. I don't typically stop every 5 minutes for a rest break. However, the world didn't end either. It was a great opportunity to simply enjoy life together. In light of what has happened in our nation this week, culminating the Dallas shootings, that isn't to be taken lightly.

Our trip home was cool and rainy. We took the road less travelled and stopped for burgers and milkshakes in Montana. Henry got a piece of bacon at the drive through. Don't overlook the small moments in life, sometimes they are priceless.

Great trip and thanks for sharing!! Sounds like an awesome time. Your dog is pretty sweet looking. Appears that he is just full of personality too!

Great stuff. My fondest memories are my first backpack trips with my dad on the St. Joe when I was your daughter's age. I bet she remembers that trip all her life. Your post made my day.

Nice trip with the daughter. I miss the cedars and bull trout at my dad's place, but not the overcast winters.

Kids and dogs, not a whole lot to not like on a trip with those two! Well done and thanks for sharing.

Fantastic story Jason.

It really is amazing how easy it is to be swallowed by the mountains and forest in that part of the country. Get 100 yards off a trail and you're in a forgotten world.

Great adventure Jason!

As the father of a teenage girl, the receptiveness for your daughter to "unplug" is definitely a rare commodity today.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SubSpider
Back