Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Carry bugle mid/late october rifle?

Bob-WY

Well archery elk is closed for me. Didn't get out as much as I'd like, but then again it was HOT. 5 trips, worked bulls on 3 of them, well played "try to catch the bugling elk" once,

Now we have a 2 week dead period, and rifle opens Oct 15, given it's a general unit I expect LOTS of people so I won't be out til later in October. Is it worth carrying the bugle tube? Cow Calls?

Personally I am hoping for tracking snow!

Definitely cow calls and might as well bring a bugle tube. Odds are most people in the woods then won't have either.

Same here Bob - except I'll try to put an antelope or two in the freezer before the 15th. For late season elk, I'd for sure have a cow call to stop them for a shot. Have heard bulls bugling late in to November, but not sure if I'd carry a tube - if you get into a situation where think you'd need one, cut the ends off a water/gatorade bottle for a light weight alternative.

Wife already put a goat and whitetail doe in freezer. Hoping to fill my antelope buck Sunday, then 2 doe tags near home before I elk hunt.

I will have cow call, so might as well stick tube on backpack strap

Take your callS… I didn’t last year (ID rifle) and the bugling drove me bat shit crazy the first week we were there. Like being in a fresh sandbox with no Tonkas! This year it will be calls, plus rifles AND bow!

Cow call for sure. I've stopped bulls I busted if they hadn't winded me. Doubt a bugle would help much that late. mtmuley
Although you might crack off a “bad” bugle to let two legged predators know you are in the woods.

In late October I'd think you're more likely to bugle in hunters than elk. I have not tried it, though. I have used cow and calf calls in rifle season before, but generally it would just be to get them to stop and hold still while my crosshairs settle on the shoulder.

The only elk that I’ve ever shot came into a cow call in mid-October. They were still bugling a bit at that point

I am a pretty inexperienced elk hunter but I did kill my first elk last year calling in mid October. I called one in two days before the season opener and another one on opening day that I took. They were both very young barely legal bulls and came in completely silent. I also never heard a bugle the entire trip.

Cow calls,several types. I use open reed & bite calls mostly now. Mix them up. Don't even use cow calls that much anymore except to stop them or slow them.

I have not used the bugle in years,except middle of night for locator if it is silent in area. Which it hasn't been...they do shut up at daylight tho.

Not to derail this but what cow calls do you recommend?
This^ I bought my first cow call the other day after an hour of drooling, spitting, and blowing wrong I was sure I was doing it wrong :ROFLMAO: . Anyone know the inexperienced/idiot proof model?

I used a cow call to cover up my stumbling through deadfall last year. No idea if it was convincing.
This^ I bought my first cow call the other day after an hour of drooling, spitting, and blowing wrong I was sure I was doing it wrong :ROFLMAO: . Anyone know the inexperienced/idiot proof model?

Here in Southcentral Colorado, I've heard many a bugling Bull in October. I know it wasn't a hunter, as the season wasn't even open at the time, and nobody was around.

My rule of thumb was that the main rut was about the third week of September. The cows that didn't get bred at that time come into heat thirty days later or about the third week in October. I've never seen a big bull in the second rut but the little boys can't seem to pass it up. Cow call for sure.

Bite and blow type seem the easiest, although about fool proof is hoochie mama, you just can't really vary it

Diaphragm is the best if ya can use it

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back