Caribou Gear Tarp

Capercaillie

Panda Bear

I want to hunt these birds and have received some guidance from April

She hunted them in ( and recommends ) Sweden. She enjoyed hunting them in the winter months so that she could hunt them while skiing or on ski's anyway.

However; she suggested that I start a thread and ask the members here for their guidance.

Which country you would or did choose ?
What caliber of rifle you would or did use ?
Season preference ? Fall or Winter.?

Any other information that might be helpful

Thank you

* I will of course converse with the outfitter, but would also appreciate any information or guidance that you are willing to share.

Sweden or Russia, so long as it's native birds in native habitat. Nice they are a grouse, I'd say a Husqvarna 12 gauge, so as to keep the Nordic theme going.

Sweden or Russia, so long as it's native birds in native habitat. Nice they are a grouse, I'd say a Husqvarna 12 gauge, so as to keep the Nordic theme going.
Ben that seems like a motorcycle I used to ride in my teens... ;) 💥

I can't understand why these birds haven't been planted here in North American boreal forest. Same environment, same predators, similar other grouse species cohabitate with them.

In the winter they are usually hunted with skis, high powered rifle, and elkhound dogs. The dog ranges far out of sight, chases the bird up into leafless birch/poplar trees, dog barks under the tree, and hunter in white camo stalks to within range, and shoots the bird off the limb. By the time hunter gets to bird the elkhound typically has torn it to pieces which seems to matter little. Apparently this is all about sport. Lots of videos online.

Before snow is on the ground the birds are typically hunted with "normal" bird dogs and shotgun. I doubt pointing dogs work very well in that brushy country. Probably mostly flushing dogs that work close.

I can't understand why these birds haven't been planted here in North American boreal forest. Same environment, same predators, similar other grouse species cohabitate with them.
Yes, because introducing non-native species into an ecosystem, in direct competition with native species, has always worked out Super Duper Amazing in the past.

Yes, because introducing non-native species into an ecosystem, in direct competition with native species, has always worked out Super Duper Amazing in the past.
Worked out great with introduction of pheasants. Exotics aren't always invasive. If siberian grouse (almost identical to N Am spruce grouse) and hazel grouse (very similar to ruff grouse) coexist well with cappercaille in Europe and Siberia, I don't see why spruce grouse and ruff grouse couldn't coexist with them here, just like sharptail and sage hens coexist well with introduced pheasants. Not like there'll ever be a shortage of boreal habitat for all three species to share. One of the few habitats that humans haven't significantly altered ... yet.

Last edited:
Which country you would or did choose ?
What caliber of rifle you would or did use ?
Season preference ? Fall or Winter.?

The outfitter I talked to about them a decade or so ago was in Finland (Not chosen for any hunting related reason, I happened to be working on some things with our European team that was based in Tampere so I was there anyway), but through light internet research at the time on Norway and Sweden, seems like anywhere in the Nordics would be good.

Personally, I wanted to hunt them (and the 3-4 other grouse species around there) with a shotgun in the fall behind dogs. My Nordic skiing skills are marginal at best and hunting grouse with dogs is one of my favorite things (my wife might say 'obsession') to do so it was largely personal preference. His, very obvious, preferred method was a centerfire rifle (but still on foot - the season in Finland ends quite a bit earlier than in Norway and Sweden, iirc). I think his go-to was some flavor of 6.5.

I need to email him...I haven't thought about that trip for years and just reading this makes me antsy to go do it.

@Panda Bear I’m curious what you’ll learn from folks here, and about your experience if/when you go. I’ve always admired those birds.
The outfitter I talked to about them a decade or so ago was in Finland (Not chosen for any hunting related reason, I happened to be working on some things with our European team that was based in Tampere so I was there anyway), but through light internet research at the time on Norway and Sweden, seems like anywhere in the Nordics would be good.

Personally, I wanted to hunt them (and the 3-4 other grouse species around there) with a shotgun in the fall behind dogs. My Nordic skiing skills are marginal at best and hunting grouse with dogs is one of my favorite things (my wife might say 'obsession') to do so it was largely personal preference. His, very obvious, preferred method was a centerfire rifle (but still on foot - the season in Finland ends quite a bit earlier than in Norway and Sweden, iirc). I think his go-to was some flavor of 6.5.

I need to email him...I haven't thought about that trip for years and just reading this makes me antsy to go do it.

Thank you,

Ben, probably not Russia at this time, but we will see.

Huntingwife, thank you

Cedahm: Looking at Finland, Norway as well as Sweden. Sweden definitely offers the hunts on ski"s, but no country decided upon yet. If you email him, please share what you find out

Last edited:
If you take the 348, we all want video of what that looks like on impact w/a grouse.
:ROFLMAO:

After the country and guide has been determined I am going to ask them about the problems, if any, with bringing a "combination" ( rifle/shotun) into their country.

I think April said she used her 6.5 Swede, but that something around the 22-250 is all one would need.

Back