Capercaillie

Staying on topic but offering a rabbit trail to this classic thread with pictures...

If you go to Finland, the rural parts at least, the best part about the country is that there are saunas everywhere. Staying at a campground or cabin - there is a sauna you can use. Filling up at the gas station - there is a sauna you can use there, too. Stopping at the general store for some snacks - feel free to use their sauna. I love a good sauna.

I didn't see anyone answered you. I hope this isn't mansplaining.

JR =.318" JRS = .323" I don't know what the "J" is for, you sometimes see it as "I" as well. "R" for rimmed.
I think it is prudent to slug the bore on any vintage rifle marked 8mm.

It was the old Germanic I, that comes across as a J to anglicized viewers. It stood for Infantrie to distinguish the original loading from other applications, IIRC.

R is for rimmed.

S is the designation for the reamed out chambers to accept the new /323 diameter bbl. Most break action rifles will be in JR, so you'll want woodliegh's for premium bullets. I use a 200 grain woodliegh roundnose for my drilling and I get about 1/5" groups at 100 yards with the original sight.

Staying on topic but offering a rabbit trail to this classic thread with pictures...

thanks for posting this !! It works perfectly for the rifle part of this thread

If you go to Finland, the rural parts at least, the best part about the country is that there are saunas everywhere. Staying at a campground or cabin - there is a sauna you can use. Filling up at the gas station - there is a sauna you can use there, too. Stopping at the general store for some snacks - feel free to use their sauna. I love a good sauna.
Once my husband found out the Swedish Bikini Team was not from Sweden, he was more open to going to Finland. Seriously, Finland works if we do not go to Spain for Ibex after the Capercaillie hunt, as Finlands season for these birds end in November . April has us going to Sweden early Dec and Spain mid Dec, but we have not yet made that decision. Time, money, work, dogs, much to consider. But, yes Finland is being considered and thank you for the information.

It was the old Germanic I, that comes across as a J to anglicized viewers. It stood for Infantrie to distinguish the original loading from other applications, IIRC.

R is for rimmed.

S is the designation for the reamed out chambers to accept the new /323 diameter bbl. Most break action rifles will be in JR, so you'll want woodliegh's for premium bullets. I use a 200 grain woodliegh roundnose for my drilling and I get about 1/5" groups at 100 yards with the original sight.
Ben, thank you for the information here and privately, much appreciated. My husband ( and for sure my grandfather when he returns from vacation ) will be pushing me for that double 8 x 57 over shotgun, but I currently am a bit enthralled with the combo 6.5 x 55 /shotgun. We will see how much money we make from trapping this year as fur prices are way down .

thanks to all who contributed

Yes, because introducing non-native species into an ecosystem, in direct competition with native species, has always worked out Super Duper Amazing in the past.
We borrowed some of their Tamarisk and we all know how that worked out.

I've never had an 8x57, but it is a fine cartridge and will kill most anything, though perhaps not as fast as somethings to which you are accustomed.

But back to Capercaillie. These are "big birds" but really not huge. No where near a turkey. Google tells me 6.5 lbs. I would have guessed 10. But suffice it to say, killing it will not require a lot of gun.

As with turkeys, you will be going for head/neck area when shotgunning a roosted bird or bird on the ground. So, lots of shot - but not lots of power/penetration are needed. A heavy load of 6s will git'er done for sure as that is my preference for turkeys every time (and grouse as well).

As for the rifle, I'm not sure what sort of ranges you will be looking at and whether a headshot is the rule or if you would take body shots. But a .22 rimfire will get it done for sure. The only questions with regards to rifle cartridge are really ammo availability and what else might you hunt with this gun? The Capercaillie won't care if it is shot with an 8x57 or a .22 rimfire. BTW, Savage made/make(?) a .22 LR over 20 gauge. It would trouble your husband because it would be very affordable without really impacting your other "wants"? It would make a nice North American Grouse/snowshoe hair gun. :)

Is there a second adventure or part 2 to this trip? I may have missed something that would have more bearing on the firearm selection.
Wikipedia says up to fifteen pounds. That's pretty huge for a grouse.

Back