Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Capercaillie

Combination rifle sounds perfect.

Personally, I would go to Norway - I lived there for a year and might be able to call on one or two folks for assistance. A grand adventure for certain.
thank you,

BookYourHunt.com has some great deals on these hunts.
thank you,

You know April would say to use a drilling....
as a matter of fact----;)--- she did in fact tell me where I could buy a

6.55 x 55 --20 gauge combo--- a double 20 over a 243. double 12 gauge over a 222. She was really pushing me to consider the 20 gauge, 270, 22 hornet by telling me that it would not only be a classic firearm to take to Scandinavia for this hunt , but it would be a nice gun to use when tending the trap lines. She also sent me a lead on a double rifle, with a single shot shotgun that truly did interest me, although the rifle would be a bit large for the Scandinavian hunt, I would love it on some treks into the forest here. But her taste in firearms dont quite fit into my financial capabilities

A read about them one time years ago. No desire to hunt them myself, never have had. But seems to me where they were being hunted was in Nevada! Most people in Nevada speak English! :)

A read about them one time years ago. No desire to hunt them myself, never have had. But seems to me where they were being hunted was in Nevada! Most people in Nevada speak English! :)
I "think" but nor sure, that you might be thinking about the Himalayan Snowcock . I had never even heard of them until April suggested that instead of going from "Snow" to "Snow", I consider going to Nevada to hunt them. I guess they are a very tough hunt. She also pushed me toward Argentina dove hunting;) But I really want to hunt the Capercaillie

I think you're confusing them with the Himalayan pheasant they planted in the mountains. Last I heard those were just barely holding their own.

And chukars. There's another exotic species that has done well without upsetting the North American "natural" balance. And Hungarian partridge.

It seems the only North American exotic chicken species that's become an "invasive" failure is the native turkey. If the National Park Service scientists can be believed, Merriams turkeys planted in California have caused havoc in the local environment. In particular, they are displacing California valley quail. The head of resources at Yosemite assured me turkeys are destroying quail eggs. The gal was a Class A nincompoop so we should keep that in mind. However, turkeys, like pheasants, are walking garbage disposals that will eat just about anything (not sure about turkeys but pheasants even eat each other), so it wouldn't surprise me if they went after quail eggs. Still, at one point in my career when I was a ranger at San Juan Island between Vancouver Island and Washington I observed an abundance of turkeys and quail living together just fine, although I seem to recall turkeys were a relatively recent arrival. Both are exotic to that environment.

Last edited:
I "think" but nor sure, that you might be thinking about the Himalayan Snowcock . I had never even heard of them until April suggested that instead of going from "Snow" to "Snow", I consider going to Nevada to hunt them. I guess they are a very tough hunt. She also pushed me toward Argentina dove hunting;) But I really want to hunt the Capercaillie
While I would pick Norway because of my history there, Finland is mighty darn awesome place to visit too. That country is just off the charts in so many ways. I visited one time. Would love to go back.

Somewhere I recently saw a shotgun with a capercaillie engraved on it. Was a Scottish gun i think. Do they have them there too?

Well, wherever you go, lots of pictures, please. We will all be hunting them through you.

While I would pick Norway because of my history there, Finland is mighty darn awesome place to visit too. That country is just off the charts in so many ways. I visited one time. Would love to go back.

thank you, will research all but Russia
Somewhere I recently saw a shotgun with a capercaillie engraved on it. Was a Scottish gun i think. Do they have them there too?
??? I am not that knowledgable but maybe . I was really intrigued by the double barrel rifle and single barrel shotgun, but my husband just smiles and says nothing as he knows tomorrow I will also see a new dog advertised that I want. My "wants" far exceed my needs or financial ability to obtain :(

Well, wherever you go, lots of pictures, please. We will all be hunting them through you.
Capercaillie have been reintroduced to Britain. They were native but went extinct when old growth oak forests were cut down to make sailing ships. The birds have struggled since reintroduction. I doubt there is any hunting for them available in Britain.

I think you're confusing them with the Himalayan pheasant they planted in the mountains. Last I heard those were just barely holding their own.

And chukars. There's another exotic species that has done well without upsetting the North American "natural" balance. And Hungarian partridge.

It seems the only North American exotic chicken species that's become an "invasive" failure is the native turkey. If the National Park Service scientists can be believed, Merriams turkeys planted in California have caused havoc in the local environment. In particular, they are displacing California valley quail. The head of resources at Yosemite assured me turkeys are destroying quail eggs. The gal was a Class A nincompoop so we should keep that in mind. However, turkeys, like pheasants, are walking garbage disposals that will eat just about anything (not sure about turkeys but pheasants even eat each other), so it wouldn't surprise me if they went after quail eggs. Still, at one point in my career when I was a ranger at San Juan Island between Vancouver Island and Washington I observed an abundance of turkeys and quail living together just fine, although I seem to recall turkeys were a relatively recent arrival. Both are exotic to that environment.
You may be right. Been quite a while back I read of it. supposed to be a huge bird.

I have a friend in Scandinavia that does it. The preferred method is shooting them out of trees, not hunting behind pointing or flushing dogs with shotguns. They ski around looking at treetops.

Shot turkeys when I was a kid with my grandfather’s Savage combo .222 on top n 20ga mag on the bottom. Had an old scope; can’t remember what kind, w an old style post upright n fine crosshair. Loved that combo. Maybe be more along your price point.

Shot turkeys when I was a kid with my grandfather’s Savage combo .222 on top n 20ga mag on the bottom. Had an old scope; can’t remember what kind, w an old style post upright n fine crosshair. Loved that combo. Maybe be more along your price point.
This really has my attention, but I won't spend that kind of money for it. A CZ Bobwhite which has been tubed and chambered for .327 Federal in one barrel.

Asking April about combos or drillings is like asking her about Linda Ronstadt or a Ferrari ;)

Brent, your name was also included, as, " Brent will know about this or that " :) She was pushing me to consider a double rifle on top 8 x 57 JRS ( Brent will know it ) and a 12 gauge on the bottom . Telling me where to get the bullets and which weight.

And speaking about weight, when I ask her how much does it weight, she said "what do you care, your young, a rifle weighing 7 to 8 pounds means nothing at your age !" Then she was off on a combo ( 12 gauge and 6.5 x 55 ) that was available, which would be perfect for me when Crane hunting and a Wolf shows up and it would be perfect in Scandinavia. She also laughed when I ask about taking a combo to Scandinavia . Not to worry Europe has seen a combination and drilling before..

I appreciate everyones contribution, thanks, but was hoping someone had hunted them recently, but no problem. When rwc101 and I return we will give you a report
Take me with you.

I'm pretty sure @Ben Lamb has the perfect gun for this outing. Yes indeed. ;)
which one ? or both ?

If you take the 348, we all want video of what that looks like on impact w/a grouse.
Sweden or Russia, so long as it's native birds in native habitat. Nice they are a grouse, I'd say a Husqvarna 12 gauge, so as to keep the Nordic theme going.

Thanks for the information and responses, appreciated

If you're looking for a Bockbuchesflinte, I'd suggest this lovely pre-war number: Bockbuchesflinte

I think the 16 would work, but you may want some bespoke loads that are heavier than typical 2 5/8"s 16 gauge offerings.

I've got a Drilling in 16 over 8x57JR. it's a lovely gun, if a tad heavy at about 7.5 pounds. That would do the trick as well.

If you're looking for a Bockbuchesflinte, I'd suggest this lovely pre-war number: Bockbuchesflinte

I think the 16 would work, but you may want some bespoke loads that are heavier than typical 2 5/8"s 16 gauge offerings.

I've got a Drilling in 16 over 8x57JR. it's a lovely gun, if a tad heavy at about 7.5 pounds. That would do the trick as well.
NICE !!

Ben, what is the difference between the JR and JRS ? And do you also get your bullets from Woodleigh or ??? Although the 8 x 57 Double over 12 gauge is out of my price range, others have shown a willingness to help me acquire it. However this would not be for the Capercaillie hunt but for here. However I also like the 6.5 x 55 x 12 gauge for here, and it would work there as well

Also do you think the 22 Hornet would work on the Capercaillie ? It should, but it does not show up in calibers recommended ?

Asking April about combos or drillings is like asking her about Linda Ronstadt or a Ferrari ;)

Brent, your name was also included, as, " Brent will know about this or that " :) She was pushing me to consider a double rifle on top 8 x 57 JRS ( Brent will know it ) and a 12 gauge on the bottom . Telling me where to get the bullets and which weight.

I've never had an 8x57, but it is a fine cartridge and will kill most anything, though perhaps not as fast as somethings to which you are accustomed.

But back to Capercaillie. These are "big birds" but really not huge. No where near a turkey. Google tells me 6.5 lbs. I would have guessed 10. But suffice it to say, killing it will not require a lot of gun.

As with turkeys, you will be going for head/neck area when shotgunning a roosted bird or bird on the ground. So, lots of shot - but not lots of power/penetration are needed. A heavy load of 6s will git'er done for sure as that is my preference for turkeys every time (and grouse as well).

As for the rifle, I'm not sure what sort of ranges you will be looking at and whether a headshot is the rule or if you would take body shots. But a .22 rimfire will get it done for sure. The only questions with regards to rifle cartridge are really ammo availability and what else might you hunt with this gun? The Capercaillie won't care if it is shot with an 8x57 or a .22 rimfire. BTW, Savage made/make(?) a .22 LR over 20 gauge. It would trouble your husband because it would be very affordable without really impacting your other "wants"? It would make a nice North American Grouse/snowshoe hair gun. :)

Is there a second adventure or part 2 to this trip? I may have missed something that would have more bearing on the firearm selection.

Brent, thank you, appreciated. And, maybe ? April pushes hunting Ibex in Spain like John pushes midget strippers ;) She also said the same thing about shooting the bird, but was also selling the Dec Ibex hunts and that if in the future I went on a plains game hunt in Africa, it would work there as well. She also spells Drilling different than we do, but maybe she is just spelling it wrong, or spell check or ? That 6.5 x55 /12 gauge is looking more interesting to me each day.

Anyway, Brent, Ben, thanks we got a bit, off subject, but that is o.k., it is my thread

ps I was wrong, she spells Drilling the same, it was vierling that was different, when she was explaining multi barrels to me

Last edited:
I didn't see anyone answered you. I hope this isn't mansplaining.

JR =.318" JRS = .323" I don't know what the "J" is for, you sometimes see it as "I" as well. "R" for rimmed.
I think it is prudent to slug the bore on any vintage rifle marked 8mm.

I didn't see anyone answered you. I hope this isn't mansplaining.

JR =.318" JRS = .323" I don't know what the "J" is for, you sometimes see it as "I" as well. "R" for rimmed.
I think it is prudent to slug the bore on any vintage rifle marked 8mm.
Not at all, I appreciate the information. Ben, Brent, thank you for your posts today also

I need to get ready to fly out, back to work unfortunately, so will not be able to respond,, but if anyone has any more information on the hunt, and rifles being discussed, please share them. Thanks

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back