Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Camp vs Hotel

JRam

Seams like when in colorado specifically hunting Elk in unit 55, Randy would stay in a hotel vs setting up camp.
How close would you be have to be to forgo the camp and stay in a hotel?

My group will be out there second rifle season ELK OTC and found a great deal on a condo right smack in between Gunnison and Crested Butte and we are trying to convice ourselves that we dont need to pack a camp on our 19 hour drive.
Disclaimer we are newbies.

For that hunt, I am usually about 30-40 minutes from the trailhead. By November, I have already done 50-60 tent nights, so the idea of a hotel is pretty appealing. Also, the sun comes up late and it sets early, so spending a bit of time behind the wheel is not a big issue, given how much darkness there is in a day.

Good luck.

You are going to some very high country. Make sure you go a few days early to get your body somewhat acclimated and reduce the likelihood of altitude sickness. I know too many people who show up from lower elevations, hit the hill, and within a day they feel like the end is near.

In 2014 our group hunted elk in WY in early October. We decided to stay in town. It was about 40 minutes from the hunting grounds. But then, once we were there and found where we wanted to pursue elk, we ended up having an hour+ drive both morning and evening. I tell you what, that got OLD after 10 days. We had to get up that much earlier, we were getting back and eating supper after 9pm. It took it's toll. The few antelope/deer hunts prior to that elk hunt were the same story. Though not as bad with antelope, since you can hunt them all hours of the day. I know our 9 day hunt last year was far more pleasant when we only had to run to town a few times to drop off dead animals and grab a few things.

Obviously my experience is far different than Randy's given I spend 10-12 days a year in a tent. Since my hunting at home is spent sitting in a tree, I welcome the wall tent.

I have a tent and overhead camper, I spend about 45 days every bow/rifle season in the mountains, I always pack one of the 2, I am cheap and I also prefer too sleep than get up at O'dark thirty too make the drive too where i'm hunting, closer the better, now is a 20 min. or less 4 wheeler ride, there are many ways too make your camp just as comfortable at a hotel or in your case a condo, blow up mattress, hot water showers you can buy that are propane heated or electric, generators for power, etc., good luck on your decision,
Matt

I have done both. Of course creature comforts are great. No matter how cold and wet you get, you know that in three or four hours, you will be in a nice warm motel room, taking a hot shower and sleeping in a dry warm bed. The camps I was in were remote, and no matter how much wood you put in the stove, someone had to get up to put more in a few hours later. Walking out in the snow to P or Poo at 0300 isn't much fun in 28*. Putting on cold damp clothes in the morning isn't as much fun as it used to be either, not to mention cold boots.
Call me an old softy, but I am spoiled, and a Motel is the way to go for us. Even extending the drive time to the hunt area by 20 or 30 minutes is no problem, considering getting a good restful nights sleep in a warm dry bed makes up for a toss and turn night in a tent. Just sayin'

I always camp it. I have a 10x14 Kodiak and a tow behind pop up camper. I usually end up taking the Kodiak, though. I have a porta potty with a cabana shelter and a Zodi hot water shower that runs off of batteries. I usually take a camp bath with hot water, but every few days a shower is nice. I have the BPS Big Outdoorsman cot, so I sleep comfortably. I have a radiant heater that runs off of a propane tank, so heat isn't an issue. I have a small roll around hanging clothes rack so if my clothes get damp I can hang them up. So, all in all, I'm not missing anything from a hotel stay except the extra expense of a room and more fuel.

We used to tent it all the time when I was young and hunting with my dad. The last time my brother and I tented it the wind opened the tent flap and deposited snow inside out tent and sleeping bags. The following year we bought a trailer and have never looked back.
I did upgrade to a much newer and bigger trailer with all the comforts of home like and indoor toilet, hot and cold running water with shower, a furnace, indoor cooking and soft, warm beds. It's like our motel on wheels. It's always nice to be hunting just a few minutes from camp.DSCN0171.jpgDSCN0360.jpg

Camp it. Closer to the animals. Can hear em. Suck it up. Tough it out and enjoy it. Can't beat the Kodiak tents for the money. I've got the one with the screened in awning. Keep the living space heated and keep your gear dry in the awning. The poles are accessible in the awning you can dry your clothes out if you need to. Messed with the cheap synthetic fabric tents. Bought the Kodiak... Money well spent!

A quality tent with a heat source and a good cot is incredibly comfortable after a long day of hunting. The only reason I occasionally check into a hotel is to get a hot shower after several days in the backcountry.

Plans are to soon upgrade my camp with a hot shower unit and some kind of luggable loo setup. I just don't want to acquire so much gear that I have to pull a trailer to bring it all.

A quality tent with a heat source and a good cot is incredibly comfortable after a long day of hunting. The only reason I occasionally check into a hotel is to get a hot shower after several days in the backcountry.

Plans are to soon upgrade my camp with a hot shower unit and some kind of luggable loo setup. I just don't want to acquire so much gear that I have to pull a trailer to bring it all.

This is how we hunt as well. We usually come to town mid way through the hunt and get a hot meal and a hotel room and shower. Helps to recharge your batteries.

For me 'deer camp' is part of the experience. Besides, motels get pissed when you make a campfire in the middle of the room :W:
We do have a small "camp" where we park the truck, before we head out on four wheelers. We do the campfire "bonding" thing there. Nothing like sitting around a campfire solving all the world's problems.

I am really digging this thread as I have the same issue. Drive 2000 miles with all of your camping gear or just stay in a hotel and make it easier....Also, one question..How do you guys transport a head back for a shoulder mount over a long distance? I am looking at 3 days of driving by myself and am not sure of the best way to preserve/deal with a bull Elk head for 3 days.

I am really digging this thread as I have the same issue. Drive 2000 miles with all of your camping gear or just stay in a hotel and make it easier....Also, one question..How do you guys transport a head back for a shoulder mount over a long distance? I am looking at 3 days of driving by myself and am not sure of the best way to preserve/deal with a bull Elk head for 3 days.
I think you'd have to cape the head out. Then just keep the cape cold and dry. Then cut off the skull plate so you don't have the whole head being a stinky mess.

Salt that cape out after and keep the skull plate cool. The taxidermist will be boiling out the skull so keeping it from rotting before he gets it is key. Buy the salt on your way out if you have to and salt that cape asap. Fine solar salt from a rancher supply is all you need.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Djulson
Back