Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Colorado Elk

Alexvd

Hello all,

I am fairly certain I will be trying to kill an elk with a bow in Colorado for two weeks in September. This will be not only my first time hunting elk, but visiting a western state period. I am 24, in good shape, and will be hunting with a buddy. I also have experience chasing whitetails on public land with a bow. I’m really not seeking advice on particular units or spots but rather looking for general tips that some of you may have used to be successful on previous hunts. So if there is anything you feel like you wish you would’ve known as a beginner, I would appreciate if you’d share.

Other than seeking general information, my research has led me to more specific questions that I would appreciate your opinion on:

1) How much of a difference in hunting pressure would you expect to see between an OTC unit vs a unit that has had high draw success for people with no points in previous years? I have been studying units on Toprut but am curious to see what people with experience have actually seen in the field.

2) With backcountry camping being such a common thing, how much of a benefit do you see in carrying camp on your back while hunting?

3) While it would be awesome to kill a bull, I have realistic expectations about the challenge of bow hunting these animals on public land. However, if you were to pick two weeks in September that would give you the best shot at seeing and hearing elk, which two weeks would you choose? And why?

I realize that this is a lot, but I would be super appreciative of any information that you guys are willing to share.

Thanks in advance,

Alex

1) How much of a difference in hunting pressure would you expect to see between an OTC unit vs a unit that has had high draw success for people with no points in previous years? I have been studying units on Toprut but am curious to see what people with experience have actually seen in the field.

depends on things like how many tags are in the unit and how many units are available on the tag. there are tags you can draw year over year with zero points that have high quotas and relatively small quotas.

2) With backcountry camping being such a common thing, how much of a benefit do you see in carrying camp on your back while hunting?

depends on the unit, depends on the hunter. getting off of roads and trails to hunt is probably more important than camping far away from a road in general.

3) While it would be awesome to kill a bull, I have realistic expectations about the challenge of bow hunting these animals on public land. However, if you were to pick two weeks in September that would give you the best shot at seeing and hearing elk, which two weeks would you choose? And why?

can't answer. don't bow hunt. but unless it's a fairly limited unit don't expect to hear much. seeing elk probably has more to do with understanding the hunter pressure than anything else; that's the dominant driver of where they'll be and not be in otc and high quota units.

Welcome Alex,

Hunting elk in September can be addicting with that said its no easy task, and a harder one for someone coming from out of state logistically.

Good shape in a state at sea level is a lot different than packing gear at 11K feet so make sure you train for that. Personally I have killed elk in OTC and draw units, I would say draw units are better since they take a little planning vs. the guys that decide last minute and show up on the mountain.

I like to set a basecamp with the option of packing in a few days if needed but the days of going deep and getting away from people is pretty much over. Sure you still can but its not a secret anymore.

Its a toss up of what kind of hunt you want on when you go. later in September the bulls may be more vocal but its also after muzzle loader and they could be silent. Opening weekend will be hard to bugle a bull in but less pressure easier spot and stock.

There truly isnt a right answer. Just go have fun and enjoy the mountain.

Go otc, the flexability to shift areas could be a significant benefit plus if you or friend back out its easier. If some unit is easy to draw its for a reason and every single tag holder has to hunt there! There is nothing easy in elk hunting including choosing a tag/unit.

I have seen little difference in pressure on the otc vs 0 point units. I’ve seen both be desolate and both swarming with guys.

Unless you plan on packing deep and I wouldn’t bother carrying camp on your back. If a spot is 2-3 miles from your truck that’s a good day hunt. Setting up your tent in the prime elk area is likely to result in you ending up on a HT thread with people saying how you blew the elk out of the canyon on your “camping” trip. Don’t ruin good spots to avoid walking.

I personally opt for the middle 2 weeks. I’ve hunted various parts of the whole season and always heard bugles and the hunting pressure really didn’t change. A bit of increase in pressure when muzzleloader starts but was never enough to discourage me. Just have to adapt with your plans.

depends on things like how many tags are in the unit and how many units are available on the tag. there are tags you can draw year over year with zero points that have high quotas and relatively small quotas.

depends on the unit, depends on the hunter. getting off of roads and trails to hunt is probably more important than camping far away from a road in general.

can't answer. don't bow hunt. but unless it's a fairly limited unit don't expect to hear much. seeing elk probably has more to do with understanding the hunter pressure than anything else; that's the dominant driver of where they'll be and not be in otc and high quota units.
Thank you!

I have seen little difference in pressure on the otc vs 0 point units. I’ve seen both be desolate and both swarming with guys.

Unless you plan on packing deep and I wouldn’t bother carrying camp on your back. If a spot is 2-3 miles from your truck that’s a good day hunt. Setting up your tent in the prime elk area is likely to result in you ending up on a HT thread with people saying how you blew the elk out of the canyon on your “camping” trip. Don’t ruin good spots to avoid walking.

I personally opt for the middle 2 weeks. I’ve hunted various parts of the whole season and always heard bugles and the hunting pressure really didn’t change. A bit of increase in pressure when muzzleloader starts but was never enough to discourage me. Just have to adapt with your plans.
Thank you! I’m not opposed to going back deep if it means more encounters with elk and less with humans. But I’m sure I will not be the only one with that bright idea. So I think we’ll just have to count on being flexible and hunting smart.

Welcome Alex,

Hunting elk in September can be addicting with that said its no easy task, and a harder one for someone coming from out of state logistically.

Good shape in a state at sea level is a lot different than packing gear at 11K feet so make sure you train for that. Personally I have killed elk in OTC and draw units, I would say draw units are better since they take a little planning vs. the guys that decide last minute and show up on the mountain.

I like to set a basecamp with the option of packing in a few days if needed but the days of going deep and getting away from people is pretty much over. Sure you still can but its not a secret anymore.

Its a toss up of what kind of hunt you want on when you go. later in September the bulls may be more vocal but its also after muzzle loader and they could be silent. Opening weekend will be hard to bugle a bull in but less pressure easier spot and stock.

There truly isnt a right answer. Just go have fun and enjoy the mountain.
the idea of having a base camp with the ability to stay in the backcountry for 2-3 days at a time if need be is along the lines of what we were thinking. But thank you! Very helpful info!

For most hunts I have gone on, it has been a complete waste of time to carry a camp on my back until I have found and know the game I'm after is in that area. There are so many areas that are a couple miles from a road that are just not what you were thinking when you e-scouted and I have found the 1/2 day I spent huffing a fully loaded 50-60lb pack in there to be a waste of a time and energy.

So with that said, the best advice I can give is do not plan on packing a camp in unless you have some good knowledge of the area or happen to know somehow that elk will be in there. You are better off hiking in that half day with a light pack, confirm there are elk there, heading out and then back in with camp and hunt.

I’ll give a good piece of advice. You need to be flexible if you pack way in. We used to pack in 4 miles, now there are 18 people there. We now hunt off of parking lot, where in bulls almost daily. No joke.
If you do decide to hunt on a big mountain, go to a mountain that’s not named. Names get around. I would go for a draw unit. A big one, which you can enter from different areas of its No good you can to a different spot. Good luck

I was in the same boat a few years back. My first elk hunting trip was to unit 62 in colorado. Some things I learned is its nothing like watching elk hunting on tv so get that out of your head. We saw a few elk and had a couple close calls but there was an ungodly amount of hunters and the bulls were all but silent. Unit 61 is the adjoining unit to 62 and is limited entry. In 10 days of hunting we heard maybe 5 bugles in 62 but you could stand on the road and hear bulls screaming in 61 all day long so the difference between limited entry and otc is pretty big. Elk hunting on otc public land is tough and it takes most guys, especially nonresidents several years to kill their first one. I would recommend picking a unit that offers the terrain youre looking for and stick with it for several years to learn everything you can about it and youll start seeing success. Stay mobile and dont get locked into one specific drainage or area, if youre not seeing elk or fresh sign then move. Its a learning experience and no amount of reading will be as valuable as time spent on the mountain. Good luck and shoot straight.

If you plan on backpack hunting and being mobile go the minimalist route. By this I mean your camp is a sleeping bag, pad, and tarp. Keep moving until you get into elk. No need to waste time and energy going to a big base camp every night and hiking back in early in the morning. Shoot the first legal elk that gives you a good ethical shot. Use your head and don't sleep where the elk will be moving through or where your scent will carry to them. No need for a camp fire during archery season and if you are putting in the miles you will be ready for bed when you get your tarp put up anyway.
I have hunted OTC and draw units have had OTC units pretty much to myself and have had to move out to a different area because it was over run with hunters. Draw units the same but you are more limited to where you can move with a draw unit.
Best time to go.... check the moon phase and stay away from a full moon.

In my limited elk hunting experience I’ve realized it does do any good to go miles in your first time with camp on your back if you are not certain that there will be water source near by. You will only be able to carry so much in with you.

Everyone is different and looks for different things while researching and deciding where to hunt. I am a rifle hunter, but I'll give you my experience and a few what I look for.

Have a good pack, good boots, be willing to cover ground. I love backpack hunting and I think it can be very beneficial. If you are backpacking you do not need a ton of stuff. Less is more. If you are archery hunting you should be able to go really light.

I have zero desire to hunt otc in colorado. Some guys love it and there is nothing wrong with that. I have a ton of respect for those guys, but I like knowing how many people I'm competing against. If I lived in CO I'm sure I would hunt OTC or If I had horses it might be a bit different because I'd be going in 10-15 miles in.

Look for areas that other people don't want to go. If you look at the map and think that looks brutal I don't want to go there. That's where the elk are, lol. Just realize when you kill that bull you have to carry him to the truck and they are heavy. Also, do yourself a favor and climb alot of stairs to train. That is what I do and it works. Its not fun, but it works. The more stairs the better.

First 2 weeks of September is when I'd go for archery. Maybe push back a few days like the 4-18ish.

The elk are going to be where they are, use the opening weekend to get used to the altitude, (coming from sea level it WILL kick your ass) navigate the weekend warriors, crowded trail heads and get the area figured out. Don’t be afraid of OTC areas.

This year our group scouted for three weekends getting some elk figured out, and opening weekend two knuckleheads moved in and camped right in the middle of the ‘refuge’ area. We found the camp by smelling the food they were cooking, side note don’t bring curry chicken to the woods, it smells up the area) So as said before, don’t camp in the middle of the area you are hunting.

The last few years the elk have moved all over the hills. And leave the bugle pipe at home. The elk have been dead quiet until after sunset. Last year we had a few guys calling very near to our camp, at sunset they left. Their vehicle was just out of hearing range and all hell broke loose, bulls screaming all around us trying to ‘one up’ each other, even a juvenile with his voice cracking. And under a full moon we had 20 to 30 elk walking around our camp, cows chirping like crazy while the fire crackled.

Now of course the only reason we had elk surrounding us is because we had September bear tags

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back