Colorado Elk

c-hart90

My Buddy and I drew 3rd rifle bull tags. This will be my friend's first elk hunt. I normally bow hunt in Sept, so this will be a bit of a different experience for me. I know the bulls will be in bachelor groups away from cows and they will likely be in some pretty rough country.

I am looking to run some ideas by someone who has experience in the units to confirm I am on the right track with my hunt planning.

Feel free to send me a PM. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
My Buddy and I drew 3rd rifle bull tags for GMU 7 & 8 in Colorado this year. This will be my friend's first elk hunt. I normally bow hunt in Sept, so this will be a bit of a different experience for me. I know the bulls will be in bachelor groups away from cows and they will likely be in some pretty rough country.

I am looking to run some ideas by someone who has experience in the units to confirm I am on the right track with my hunt planning.

This unit was largely burned during the 2020 Cameron Peak Hunters should be aware that the landscape will be vastly different in areas and animal movements and habits may have changed. You can explore 289 square miles of Arapaho/Roosevelt National Forest and more than 26 square miles of BLM land. County and forest roads provide access. Green Ridge Road 4x4 Trail is rated difficult with exposed rocks and bogs so unless you're from Utah this isn't the best option for you. It is open from July 1 until Nov. 20 if weather permits.

Glassing from CR 87 and the 86 have been really productive for us when we need a recovery day. With 3% success rates last year this is truly a unit for the elite hunter looking to challenge himself against nature. The adventurous hunter looking for a mature trophy will be found in the wilderness area (the area's too hot to name on this private forum) near Clark Peak. Post rut the big bulls will reverse migrate up toward the peak in search of solitude from the average hunters. This makes it ideal for the elite hunter willing to lace em up tight and go deep.

Typically it might be hard to get advice on specific unit numbers, even through a PM.

Some folks on here will give some general info on specific unit numbers. Some will give out very specific info, drainage, pressure, animal movement. Etc .

It's probably not the best idea to be a new member and ask for specific info on units, even through a private message.

This thread and poll makes the point.

I hear you and understand. Appreciate the feedback. Certainly don't expect specific info on drainages or anything. I have some general ideas of areas to check out based on weather and snow. Also have no idea if I will be able to access some areas without horses or an ATV. Was more looking to PM with someone for feedback on my approach.

Appreciate the feedback and best of luck this season!

This unit was largely burned during the 2020 Cameron Peak Hunters should be aware that the landscape will be vastly different in areas and animal movements and habits may have changed. You can explore 289 square miles of Arapaho/Roosevelt National Forest and more than 26 square miles of BLM land. County and forest roads provide access. Green Ridge Road 4x4 Trail is rated difficult with exposed rocks and bogs so unless you're from Utah this isn't the best option for you. It is open from July 1 until Nov. 20 if weather permits.

Glassing from CR 87 and the 86 have been really productive for us when we need a recovery day. With 3% success rates last year this is truly a unit for the elite hunter looking to challenge himself against nature. The adventurous hunter looking for a mature trophy will be found in the wilderness area (the area's too hot to name on this private forum) near Clark Peak. Post rut the big bulls will reverse migrate up toward the peak in search of solitude from the average hunters. This makes it ideal for the elite hunter willing to lace em up tight and go deep.
Thanks for the thoughts and feedback!

We hunted in like 2019 went 2-4 for bulls with our group. Still pisses me off should have been 4-4 had some shooting issues. Dad has been trying to get me to go back since but that fire has me worried and now we are to heavy on points for it

We hunted in like 2019 went 2-4 for bulls with our group. Still pisses me off should have been 4-4 had some shooting issues. Dad has been trying to get me to go back since but that fire has me worried and now we are to heavy on points for it
OP is an elite marksman so all tags should be filled if he supplements correctly.

I think he's gonna want to test out the mountain house chili mac with 5 shots of JD to chase it before leaving home. It's important to know what your body can handle before going on an epic hunt.

OP is an elite marksman so all tags should be filled if he supplements correctly.

I think he's gonna want to test out the mountain house chili mac with 5 shots of JD to chase it before leaving home. It's important to know what your body can handle before going on an epic hunt.
Wish one of our guys could have shot his way out of a barn lol

Shooting issues are tough. We are excited to get out there. Got lucky drawing it last choice with 0 points.

Haha that will fuel something! Fuel time on a toilet and not time on the mountain!

My Buddy and I drew 3rd rifle bull tags for GMU 7 & 8 in Colorado this year. This will be my friend's first elk hunt. I normally bow hunt in Sept, so this will be a bit of a different experience for me. I know the bulls will be in bachelor groups away from cows and they will likely be in some pretty rough country.

We found tire chains and shovel to be necessities.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back