Yeti GOBOX Collection

Camo for out west (western Montana/Idaho)

C17loadclear

Hey guys,

Cabelas has rain gear on sale and I am wondering what camo pattern you guys like the best for Elk archery season in western Montana or the panhandle of Idaho.

Thanks!!

Todd

As a fellow eastern tenderfoot, I think about camo too. Most of the guys from the west say it doesn't matter. My advise is always don't get something too dark and that you can get some use out of in the east. I like cabelas outfitter and both zonz patterns. I thing they are the right colors and shades to do a good job. Realtree ap brown looks to be ok too. Most importantly though is quality. With the distances and stress put on clothing, the west will expose any flaws in the clothing. Tons of guys hunt in solid colors out west and go strictly by quality not color. Thats blasphemy here in the east. But what do I know I'm just a tenderfoot. Lmao

. . .and depending on the season and the state you may be required to cover it all up by a whole lot of blaze orange anyway.

I am looking at the Zonz western pattern rain suede for packable rain gear.

It seems to have good reviews and is suppose to be quiet which something my Air Force issue Goretex is not...:)

I am looking at the Zonz western pattern rain suede for packable rain gear.

It seems to have good reviews and is suppose to be quiet which something my Air Force issue Goretex is not...:)

Make sure you get your hands on it before you buy it, I've got quite a few pieces of clothing that are sold as "silent" but are no were near silent enough for me.

The rain suede is nice and quiet but it soaks up water and gets heavy if you are getting dumped on. Are you on a backpack type hunt where weight matters or hunting out of a truck/basecamp?

That country is fairly thick. I'd probably pick realtree or the zonz woodland if I were trying to match it.

Some of the patterns are a bit dark, I prefer a more open pattern with more whites or light colors. I think the zonz pattern meets that requirement. I'm never afraid to throw on non-camo like a nice tan pair of first lite pants. Just got a pair of Prana Zions in the mud color, and so far like them. I really like that they are a third the cost of some of the other stuff. Looking forward to trying them during warm weather archery deer here in SD.

I agree with the lighter colors of camo or solids. I like dry earth, greens, grey in solids or asat, kuiu or fusion for camo. You can get outfitter camo from cabelas in their light weight space rain gear. It is pretty thin and probably won't hold up in heavy brush though.

ASAT is the best pattern for breaking up your outline, hands down. The old Cabela's Rain Suede was really quiet and great for bow hunting. The new stuff they have since going to the "Zonz" patterns is way noisy. I think the best camo pattern Cabela's has now is Outfitter. Most of the stuff that looks like trees and brush just looks like a solid from 20 yards and farther.

When it comes to rain gear I worry way more about it's ability to keep me dry than any type of camo that might be on it.

That said, I'd like to try some Kuiu or Sitka Gear. I'd even buy it in camo at the right price, but wouldn't pay more for it over a solid color.

A fabric I've heard good reviews on is NeoShell by Polartec. Though I've not seen them, this is a pretty good price for a Neoshell rain jacket, especially considering it's custom made:
http://foxwear.net/store/rain-gear/

Last edited:
Who's done the old pair of Khaki's and a couple different colors of Dollar store spray paint ? AHHH, the good ol' days of being a rarely-sober, yet creative, hunting addicted college numb-nut on the GI bill......

Seemed to work just fine though.

Back