Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Calibres you'd like to own

22 creed for shooting heavies
30-06 for a backup on hunts
338 win mag for da moose I wanna go after
20 gauge for birds

Those 4 would about cover me with what I already have.

Curious if guys here have any calibres or guns they would love to own one day.

For me it's a double in either 9.3x74r or 450-400 NE. The latter is my preference but really don't think I'd have more than one or two opportunities in my life to use it.

A 404 Jeffery would be the other (bolt version of a 450-400NE).

A Rigby rifle is at the top of the list for me but I'm unlikely to have a spare $10-20k anytime soon. A Brno ZG47 in original condition would be my second choice.

What about other folks?
50BMG
338 Lapua
300 WM
6.5 PRC
6.5 CM
17 HMR
22-250
30-06
Even more

Curious if guys here have any calibres or guns they would love to own one day.

For me it's a double in either 9.3x74r or 450-400 NE. The latter is my preference but really don't think I'd have more than one or two opportunities in my life to use it.

A 404 Jeffery would be the other (bolt version of a 450-400NE).

A Rigby rifle is at the top of the list for me but I'm unlikely to have a spare $10-20k anytime soon. A Brno ZG47 in original condition would be my second choice.

What about other folks?
The next dream gun on my list is a 12.5 in 8.6 Blackout rifle. Ultralight, ultra small, 300 yards and in. What are your thoughts?

What's stopping you? They are everywhere. We could find you one today! :)

Self-control, that's what's stopping me, too much self control. I just picked up an unfired CZ455 Lux .22lr, going to have my wife give it to me for Christmas. The .45-70 will likely be next year's gun :)

Self-control, that's what's stopping me, too much self control. I just picked up an unfired CZ455 Lux .22lr, going to have my wife give it to me for Christmas. The .45-70 will likely be next year's gun :)
Keeping in mind that next year is 12 days away. I think we should start shopping for you.

Rolling block, falling block, tilting block, trapdoor?
Intended application?
Preferred historical application?
Vintage vs. recreation?
English vs. American?

We should put together a checklist of questions to focus, laser like, on the group of guns that might be best suited to your desires. This would be the easy way. We can do it the hard way and just wade willynilly into the morass of all .45-70s singleshots ever, but that's your call.

I'm ready :) :) :)

Keeping in mind that next year is 12 days away. I think we should start shopping for you.

Rolling block, falling block, tilting block, trapdoor?
Intended application?
Preferred historical application?
Vintage vs. recreation?
English vs. American?

We should put together a checklist of questions to focus, laser like, on the group of guns that might be best suited to your desires. This would be the easy way. We can do it the hard way and just wade willynilly into the morass of all .45-70s singleshots ever, but that's your call.

I'm ready :) :) :)

Well @BrentD, we will have to revisit this discussion at a later date, I just spent my fun money on a go kart for my daughters for Xmas, the green light from the wife was easier than for a new rifle too...can't wait to see them rip around in this thing.

50944A9B-DA2B-41F9-B4D0-B2BCDA2F55F1.jpeg

Last edited:
Well, we will have to revisit this discussion at a later date, I just spent my fun money on a go kart for my daughters for Xmas, the green light from the wife was easier than for a new rifle too...can't wait to see them rip around in this thing.

View attachment 307059
Luke,

You are aware that this gets you a nomination for Father of the Year, right? :)

KW

Shiloh Sharps in either 45-90 or 45-110.
If anyone is interested in owning a Meacham custom Winchester 1885 (High Wall) in .45-110 AND .38-55 with brass and dies for both barrels, contact me asap. Also has Montana Vintage Arms Tang and front sights. Immaculate condition.

Well... here's my 2cp:

Caliber with platform
=============

45-70 - Marlin (ruger) 1895 SBL or Henry All Weather Picatinny
360 Buckhammer - Henry Big Boy X
22 ARC - Bolt and AR-15
5.7x28mm - CMMG Resolute MK57 16.1"
.30-30 - Lever Action

I'd love to have a BLR in .308 or 7mm08. I've yet to own either caliber. Tried to buy one last week in .308 but the local gun shop had already sold it.

Back