Caribou Gear Tarp

Cabela's donates to Montana FWP

Cabela's to change ranch sales
By The Associated Press

HELENA - Outdoor equipment retailer Cabela's is trying to improve its image in Montana, where some sportsmen are concerned the company's real estate operations spur ranch sales and cost them opportunities to hunt.

An executive for Nebraska-based Cabela's told Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife and Parks commissioners Thursday that the company will change how it markets Montana ranches and will give the state agency $110,000 for land access programs.

Cabela's markets properties, but sales are handled by independent real estate agents with whom Cabela's has agreements. Sportsmen say the company's advertising has touted ranches as offering exclusive hunting opportunities that could involve denying access to nearby public land used for hunting.

Cabela's Vice President Mike Callahan said ensuring that people have opportunities to hunt is essential to the future of the company, which sells merchandise through 130 million catalogs distributed nationwide and through a Web site that receives 40 million hits a month. The company operates about two dozen stores in the United States and is preparing to open one in Billings. Under new policies, Cabela's will not advertise the prospect of subdividing land in Montana, Callahan said. He also said the company will not list property if a state land access program called block management covers it and terms of the sale preclude transferring the block management contract to the new owner. The block management program pays landowners to allow public hunting and covers about 8 million acres in the state.

Commissioner Shane Colton said there was no way to require that new owners of land renew block management contracts once they expire. "While we appreciate the gesture, there's no substance to it," Colton said.

Callahan acknowledged that long-term participation in the program cannot be demanded, but said Cabela's requirement that it applies to existing contracts is meaningful.

As for the $110,000, Callahan handed over a $50,000 check at Thursday's commission meeting and promised annual payments of $12,000 over the next five years.

Commissioner Willie Doll said he had concerns about accepting the money, but did not elaborate. He said public comment about using it should be obtained.

Commission Chairman Steve said he expected the money will be spent and suggested funding block management contracts as a possibility.

Commissioner Shane Colton said there was no way to require that new owners of land renew block management contracts once they expire. "While we appreciate the gesture, there's no substance to it," Colton said.

Hmmm.

Looks like $110K of substance? Plus, this looks like a lot of substance to me,

"He also said the company will not list property if a state land access program called block management covers it..."

So, why the statement of no substance, ignorance, or arrogance or greed or what?

He also said the company will not list property if a state land access program called block management covers it and terms of the sale preclude transferring the block management contract to the new owner.

No substance in requiring new land owners to continue in the BMP

Public Relations appeasement? Wonder how the 6 year payout of the 110K ratios against thier RE arm revenues?

So are they going to carry this to other states where they are doing the same thing? Some of there Idaho properties look pretty sweet for hunting.

280, I think that preclude phrase means. If Cabela's can't transfer the BMP to the new owner, they are not going to list the land. You want them to add a new clause, I guess?

No new owner can buy land, if they don't continue the BMP, is that what you wish they did? Montana's BMP doesn't work that way for anybody, does it? Why should it work that way for Cabelas? Does any landowner, anywhere in Montana, or anywhere else, require that in land sales?

In Texas, if land has the ag. tax exemption, it can go to the wildlife exemption. I'm not sure it can go back to ag. exemption, but I think a new landowner can drop the wildlife exemption. If they do, then they pay way more county taxes on the land. The state of Texas (created wildlife management land tax exemption) and the county (set the county tax rates) actually encourage the landowners to manage for wildlife habitat and hunting that way.

Montana offers the landowner BMP, right? But if the landowner doesn't want it, they don't get it, right? Once they get it, they are not required to have it forever and ever, are they? How does that work? I'm imagining its a year by year agreement between landowner and some MT state agency, is it?

They just wash the MT turd off and keep walking, that's what I think. What about my questions though?

The main one is whether or not once a BMP ranch, does and landowner have to keep it that way? If not, which is probably the way it is, does MT tax structure for the land do anything to encourage BMP stay BMP? The landowners get paid for an animal shot or something, right? That's what BMP does, right?

Tom, don't know about Montana, but here in illinois, if the land is in CRP, it stays as long as the contract is on it. after that, they can either renew it or not. doesn't matter if its sold or not.

Tom, don't know about Montana, but here in illinois, if the land is in CRP, it stays as long as the contract is on it. after that, they can either renew it or not. doesn't matter if its sold or not.

They're not talking about CRP.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheWolf
Back