Caribou Gear Tarp

New FWP Commissioners

What do folks have to say about the new FWP Commissioners appointed today by Governor Gianforte?

As per the link below:

Jeff Burrows, Hamilton: A Hamilton native, Burrows has served as a Ravalli County Commissioner since 2012, working with partners to advocate for the responsible management and protection of our public lands. His term will run through January 1, 2027.

Susan Kirby Brooke, Bozeman: Brooke owns and operates campgrounds near Glacier National Park and Three Forks, and brings to the commission years of experience working in collaborative roles on federal land exchanges. Her term will run through January 1, 2027.

Lesley Robinson, Dodson: A fourth generation rancher participating in the Block Management program, Robinson is the First Vice President of the Montana Stockgrowers Association. Her term will run through January 1, 2027.

The Gianforte announcement said that Brooke owns and operates the St. Mary KOA campground and Rising Sun Pizza near Glacier National Park and one near Three Forks, and has participated in collaborative efforts involving federal land exchanges.

There is no mention of wildlife experience.
Only the best, most qualified people.

Here's a slight mention...

Glacier National Park Conservancy:

Susan Brooke

Susan Brooke​

Board Member | St. Mary, MT
Susan Kirby Brooke was raised on a cattle ranch in the upper Madison Valley near Yellowstone National Park but shortly after obtaining her driver’s license began driving north to hike and enjoy her favorite park, Glacier National Park. She and her husband Will, purchased the St. Mary – Glacier Park KOA campground in St. Mary in 1996 and raised their 3 children there. They both continue to manage and develop the business just 1 mile from the entrance to the Going-to-the-Sun Road. Susan worked for Congress in Washington DC and also served as a natural resource advisor to a US Senator in Montana. Prior to purchasing the campground, she lobbied the Montana Legislature for the Montana Stockgrowers and Woolgrowers. She was appointed to the Montana Board of Environmental Review by Governor Racicot and the Montana Water Compact Commission by Governor Stan Stephens and has fundraised and campaigned for federal, state and local candidates.

I truly believe an elected commission would better serve Montana.
I believe there is a bill forthcoming that would do just that. It’s from Molnar so probably also includes crossbow language in it (jk…hopefully)…but if it does make it to committee and there’s no red herring in it we will all have to voice our support.

Are we sure an elected commission would be better? I agree that it would be nice for the commission not to be hand picked by one person. I like to think the best candidate would win, but maybe it would end up just like our other elections in Montana and the people with money and name recognition would end up winning every time. Tim Fox vs Gianforte is a good example. Both are Republicans and there was no reason for people not to like Fox, but the one from the east coast with more money won over the native Montanan. Maybe since the position is strictly about fish and wildlife it would be different though, I don't know.

Look at the legislature that gets elected, would people vote for better fwp commissioners or would it be even worse?
We’ve seen what the commission has done when they have been selected by democratic and Republican Governors. MTFWP needs a complete reboot. The people in the region need to pick who represents them as a commissioner.

I think an elected commission would be better. It’s not apples to apples to compare other elected politicians to what an elected commission would be. No one would be talking about the border wall, or taxes, or any other manner of bullshit that politicians focus on.

Most Montanans value the ability of blue-collar hunters to continue doing what they have done - to protect Montana’s hunting legacy- and I think it would be imperfect but no worse and likely better.

It really kind of depends on what you think the biggest threats to hunting are right now. To me, it is the skinning of opportunity by the well connected and well-to-do to the detriment of the average Montanan that will be the undoing of that which has been most virtuous.

When I talk to hunting Montanans of any political stripe in the real world, the majority seem to recognize this threat and distain it.

Look at the legislature that gets elected, would people vote for better fwp commissioners or would it be even worse?
^ I agree. It would get even worse, lots worse. I know some may not see how "get even worse" is possible when compared to the frustrations they feel now.

We need to get more involved in appointments and hold more accountability to the elected leaders that make appointments, both before and after the election. I made my share of phone calls on the Region 3 nominees that were being kicked around. Though my preferences were not appointed, I do think some of us being involved helped keep a really bad candidate from getting the position. Sometimes one has to measure success by what you prevented as much as by what you got.

Having an election for the commission would require a constitutional amendment, and you still won't like the outcome. It's a red herring.

These appointments have to go before the Senate for approval. That's where you make your support and opposition known.

These appointments have to go before the Senate for approval. That's where you make your support and opposition known.
How has that panned out for us? It becomes a politicized flip flop based on politicized agendas, IMO. Politics are pendulum swinging wankers who want to correct the f-ups of the "other side", again, IMO.

We do not allow our political biased Senate approve Governor appointed District Judges. They are voted by the people of that specific district. I prefer this much more-so than Governor/Senate. Seems Regional based commissioners would fulfill the same capacity.
1672859080811.png

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back