Yeti GOBOX Collection

Budget Rifle

RyeGuy74

My mother has recently gotten into Hunting and she absolutely loves it but she's always used my 6mm Remington. We are looking for her first rifle so I'm here to get any advice on a budget Rifle that anyone recommends. Thanks for any and all help

Sounds like a minuscule thing, but when I bought my girlfriend her .243, I ended up getting her a Savage because of the fact that the thumb safety is simple to operate even with gloves on, and that it requires less effort to operate the bolt (easier bolt lift) than other similar priced rifles.
A lot of new shooters struggle operating a bolt and I'm not sure how old your mother is or what her familiarity with bolt rifles is. Just a thought.

For the $ I think it's pretty hard to beat a Remington 700 SPS.

But the term "budget rifle" can mean something different for everyone. How budget are you looking?

+1 on the sps, it’s as good of a platform to start with as anything. They will generally shoot fine for hunting purposes with no work and if you decide to, there’s plenty of custom options too. Plus they seem to hold value a little better than some of the other base rifles

Sounds like a minuscule thing, but when I bought my girlfriend her .243, I ended up getting her a Savage because of the fact that the thumb safety is simple to operate even with gloves on, and that it requires less effort to operate the bolt (easier bolt lift) than other similar priced rifles.
A lot of new shooters struggle operating a bolt and I'm not sure how old your mother is or what her familiarity with bolt rifles is. Just a thought.
I am not disagreeing with your experience, but in my experience savage rifles have oft reported challenges with sticky bolt slides if the user isn't attentive to the angle they are directing pressure while opening and closing. In my experience, the Tikka, Bergara and Howa have the smoothest bolt function of the "budget class".

Last edited:
I’ve been super impressed with my son’s youth model Ruger American in 7mm-08. It is just as accurate as my $2500 custom rifle, and only cost $299 brand new. Certainly the fit and finish is cheap and the Tupperware stock is nothing to take pictures of, but in the end it’s a deadly, light, accurate rifle.

It's a tad on the heavy side for my tastes, but my sons have a TC Venture and it's pretty impressive for the 300 dollars I paid for it. The bolt is very slick, it's solid, doesn't feel like crap and it's probably the most accurate rifle in the family...

Bargain for you. 6mm for your Mom.

It's a tad on the heavy side for my tastes, but my sons have a TC Venture and it's pretty impressive for the 300 dollars I paid for it. The bolt is very slick, it's solid, doesn't feel like crap and it's probably the most accurate rifle in the family...

Agree. We only have one, but that rifle is crazy accurate. Every time I take it to the range, it will stack em on top of each other.

I have been very surprised by the performance of the 2 Ruger American rifles we have. I bought a .243 Compact a few years ago when my son was 9 and started hunting. This year, the compact model was too small for him and I got him a Ruger American 7mm-08 in the standard length. Both rifles, with handloads, consistently shoot 1/2" groups at 100 yards. My, now 12yo, son killed 4 deer and 4 hogs with it this year. Very impressive guns for little money.

If it's in her price range, might want to have her look at the Savage Lady hunter. The stock is designed to fit women better than the traditional, classic style stock.

I've been happy with the Ruger American that my sons use. They shoot LH so their options are quite limited. If she shoot's RH, there are a lot of options in the same price range that have been mentioned. Have her handle a bunch of them and go with the one that fit's the best. Unless you get a lemon, I'd would be more than adequate.

Do you have siblings who could help you buy it? Might be a great time for y’all to get mom a nice gift. Weatherby has a line made for women. Camilla or something like that. Take care of mom if you can. I understand money is tight for many these days.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back