MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Budget Rifle

Savage axis ii if you take time to doctor up the stock. No specialty tools required except an epoxy mixer. https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/junk-stock-build.296979/
My least favorite part of the rifle is the barrel is not crowned, and I don’t know if there’s anything I can do to change that (electrical tape, I guess)
I second the savage axis they are cheap but seem to be well built haven’t had issues with them and own a couple

Reactions: LCH
I am not aware of any factory rifle now made in 6mm Remington, let alone "budget"? Are you saying she will use a similar round or are you looking for a rebarrel donor? A Tikka in 6.5 Creedmoor will give her many options, plenty of lightweight 100-120 gr ammo , adjustable trigger, not that heavy. Look at Gunbroker or guns International for second hand rifles (of other makes) in .243-6.5 Creedmoor for her. Good luck.

For cheap guns, Thompson Center is really hard to beat. I bring a TC Venture in .308 as my back-up rifle on all out of state hunts just in case something happens with my main rifle, which is a Tikka super lite also in .308. The TC shoots very well and if I had to use it, I would be 100% confident in its capabilities. It's also less than half of the cost of my Tikka. Definitively worth a look if you want something cheap, but good.

If you go with Axis, make sure it is the Axis II - as the trigger on the base is very poor IMO.
That’s true the triggers suck on the axis I bought a new savage axis on clearance for $249 plus tax spent the 20 bucks and upgraded the trigger with the mcarbo savage axis pro trigger upgrade and it made a world of difference.

Guess I didn't see that price set as budget but I see Cabelas still has a few Browning rifles for a decent price. There is an Xbolt Western Stainless in 270 with a brake so that should tame a little recoil and for $750 (plus 8% rebate) that's a deal to me. There are even a couple less fancy Brownings for less than $600.

Same problem every time it seem's. Somebody want's to buy a rifle for a mom, spouse or kid and ask everyone's opinion of which to buy. My opinion is that all the inexpensive rifle's are well worth the money. Doesn't mean I'd buy them all though. I'm sure the Ruger American is a good rifle but I also think it's about as ugly as ugly get's! But believe it or not there are those that disagree with me,,,lot of those's it seem's. Why don't you take your Mom out to look for something she like's? Doesn't make a diddly what the rest of us like, it's going to be her's! Get her one she like's. We have the best selection of inexpensive firearms in history I'm thinking. Get something she like's!

Alas, more important than what she likes is what fits her properly.
Along with bolt throw effort, does the grip allow her proper fit for her finger on the trigger?
Can she easily operate the safety?
Put a magazine in, or cartridges in the blind magazine, all with gloves on?

The only 2 guns that i know of with such items & stocks specifically made for weman are the Weatherby Lady Camilla, and Savage Lady Hunter.
Either chambered in 7mm-08, or 243 Win would be good choices.

The other option is a budget whatever with the adjustable Boyds AT-One aftermarket stock.

Note, if it fits HER properly, it will help mitigate felt recoil.

I’d grab a cheap ruger American. Never seen one that won’t shoot good. Have a 22-250 in one right now that shoots like a custom. Tough to beat for $350

Sounds like a minuscule thing, but when I bought my girlfriend her .243, I ended up getting her a Savage because of the fact that the thumb safety is simple to operate even with gloves on, and that it requires less effort to operate the bolt (easier bolt lift) than other similar priced rifles.
A lot of new shooters struggle operating a bolt and I'm not sure how old your mother is or what her familiarity with bolt rifles is. Just a thought.
You got lucky.

I've heard nothing but good things about the Ruger American, but the only one I ever had was terrible. It was a .308 and I went through lots of ammo and couldn't get it to shoot better than 3" groups at 100yds. I realize that's not the experience of most.

Also, I thought the trigger was garbage.

The accuracy of an off the shelf $350 rifle in 2020 is pretty amazing for the price point, but if you can afford an extra $200-$300 for a rifle you do get your money's worth in my opinion. I have never known a hunter who actually used both a Ruger American (or Savage Axis) and a Tikka (or bergara, weatherby vanguard or howa) that still preferred the Ruger/Axis. I love Ruger, I love what those rifles can do for the price, but for my 2 cents I think it is worth moving up a few hundred dollars and getting stiffer stock, better trigger and better overall fit/finish. YMMV.

Alas, more important than what she likes is what fits her properly.
Along with bolt throw effort, does the grip allow her proper fit for her finger on the trigger?
Can she easily operate the safety?
Put a magazine in, or cartridges in the blind magazine, all with gloves on?

The only 2 guns that i know of with such items & stocks specifically made for weman are the Weatherby Lady Camilla, and Savage Lady Hunter.
Either chambered in 7mm-08, or 243 Win would be good choices.

The other option is a budget whatever with the adjustable Boyds AT-One aftermarket stock.

Note, if it fits HER properly, it will help mitigate felt recoil.

I would guess the overwhelming population, by a huge amount, don't have rifles that fit them. rather they have the gun industry's figure of what average is for everything and an unbelievable amount of people learn to shoot them well. I've never had one fit and don't know the first person that has! But the rifle's still shoot. Don't know what the lady's models have for length of pull but wouldn't take someone long to adjust that to the shooter better than the factory version.

According to Boyds well over 50% of shooters are shooting guns that don't properly fit them.

Wonder what percentage of men vs weman is in that.
As in "X" percent of men.
"X" percent of weman.

I agree the Ruger American in 6.5 Creed not only fits the bill but also allows for a wide variety of ammo options if you are not hand loading. Practice with a rifle is far more important than the caliber selection and with the availability of 6.5 ammo options out there you can practice economically & efficiently! If she likes your 6mm the other straight forward choice would be a Ruger american in 243, fantastic caliber and i think underrated!

Back