Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Budget Rifle

Cabellas has the Thompon Center Compass (original, not II) on sale for $239 in 7mm Rem Mag and 30-06.

I'm looking at a Compass II as a cheap venture into my first 300 Win Mag. Like @stealthy_bowman , I'll just make it my backup rifle when I upgrade. I'd rather spend $300 to see what I think of the 300 Win Mag before dropping $1300-1500 on a higher quality rig. It was weaver bases so I already have rings and a Vortex Diamondback I can mount for plinking. I would go with Venture but Compass has a 3 position safety which I want.

The accuracy of an off the shelf $350 rifle in 2020 is pretty amazing for the price point, but if you can afford an extra $200-$300 for a rifle you do get your money's worth in my opinion. I have never known a hunter who actually used both a Ruger American (or Savage Axis) and a Tikka (or bergara, weatherby vanguard or howa) that still preferred the Ruger/Axis. I love Ruger, I love what those rifles can do for the price, but for my 2 cents I think it is worth moving up a few hundred dollars and getting stiffer stock, better trigger and better overall fit/finish. YMMV.
You definitely have a good point. The more you spend the more you get. I have an american as well as 2 howa's as well as other rifles. I really like the american. Its accurate and light. Mine has a nice trigger. Bought the compact stock so my kids could use it as well. Its just a pleasant gun to use. Fancy? Nope. I wish the bolt locked but other than that its been great. If something happened to it i wouldn't be that upset. There are a lot of good budget guns on the market today for those who can't afford the more expensive stuff and they shoot really well. My 15 year old son shot a half inch groups over the weekend with his thompson compass with federal 140 gr fusions. I got a little less than half inch, can't let him best me just yet. Its a good time to be a rifleman. Or riflewoman.

Cabellas has the Thompon Center Compass (original, not II) on sale for $239 in 7mm Rem Mag and 30-06.

I'm looking at a Compass II as a cheap venture into my first 300 Win Mag. Like @stealthy_bowman , I'll just make it my backup rifle when I upgrade. I'd rather spend $300 to see what I think of the 300 Win Mag before dropping $1300-1500 on a higher quality rig. It was weaver bases so I already have rings and a Vortex Diamondback I can mount for plinking. I would go with Venture but Compass has a 3 position safety which I want.
I have two that i got for my boys a 6.5 creed and a 308. Both shoot half inch groups. Get the mcarbo trigger spring kit. Factory trigger sucks.

Trigger is what I'm worried about. Compass II is easy to find now or Venture II. They have an upgraded trigger but not adjustable and no aftermarket spring so I wonder if I should look for version 1 and just upgrade the spring.

Trigger is what I'm worried about. Compass II is easy to find now or Venture II. They have an upgraded trigger but not adjustable and no aftermarket spring so I wonder if I should look for version 1 and just upgrade the spring.
The mcarbo spring helps but i wouldn't call it a great trigger with the spring kit. It's ok. I would try the new one at the store to see how it is. No doubt spring kits will be coming.

Other rifles no one has mentioned that are definitely worth consideration is the Marlin X7 and the Mossberg Patriot. The Sauer Classic 100 XT is a shooter as well. I picked on up for $400 in 7 Rem Mag and that rifle is worth every penny. It reminds me of a Tikka...but its only $400.

Last edited:
The mcarbo spring helps but i wouldn't call it a great trigger with the spring kit. It's ok. I would try the new one at the store to see how it is. No doubt spring kits will be coming.

I ordered the original Compass today. Will be here by Friday. It was $100 less than Compass II so I can make it work for what it will be - a range gun to get time shooting a 300 Win Mag before I drop real coin on a nice rifle. It will become a backup at that point.

I ordered the original Compass today. Will be here by Friday. It was $100 less than Compass II so I can make it work for what it will be - a range gun to get time shooting a 300 Win Mag before I drop real coin on a nice rifle. It will become a backup at that point.

The two we have are real shooters so I suspect you will be pretty happy with the accuracy.

The two we have are real shooters so I suspect you will be pretty happy with the accuracy.

I watched as many youtube videos as I could on several budget rifle and repeatedly the Compass was easy to get 1 MOA and better with reloads. MCarbo is on its way. Rifle arrived at FFL today but wasn't available for pickup so I'll get it Monday. I planned on mounting the scope this weekend but I have a long list of projects so I wouldn't have shot it this weekend anyway.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back