Bozeman: is it really that bad anymore?

This thread got weird. Saw the part about the neo nazis. Amazing how many people live in this country that are just pure trash. Really bums me out.

As @Big Fin stated, the amenities that Bozeman can offer you are quite valuable. No argument there. But here is my rub....

I spent 53 years living and working in and around cities. Everyone is stressed, in a rush and just plain rude. I moved to a rural area because I was sick of it. And quite frankly, I want to be with like minded people with similar values to mine. I'm done.

Bozeman is no different then the cities where I spent most of my life. And I can see the change in just the past twelve months. It's not good.

Fortunately I have to drive through the pass to get there. Life in my neck of the woods is still fairly quiet. But I also live in a very blue collar, older neighborhood. Work hard, raise your family, and mind your business. Great community though because if you need help someone is always there for you. And it rubs off on you. It's wonderful. Plus there is something special about a place where some of the best food is at the local truck stop. That is what life should be like everywhere in this incredible state.

Bozeman lost its soul. It has become like every other place, white suburban driving soccer moms that ride your ass while talking on the cell phone with their besty. I can't imagine what the place will be like in five years.

At least they added a new economy parking lot at the west end toward Dry Creek. Got my cardio in walking to the terminal.
Referring to L.A. airport.
Thats as close as I will ever get to the city, though I wouldn't mind going to Dodger Stadium.

LOT of great things about Bozeman, which is why people keep coming. There are a TON of great things about Bozeman. Some of the things that bother people a lot - don't bother me at all. Bozeman is no longer a "small town". Most of the things people complain about regarding Bozeman, can be complained about anywhere in growing cities of similar size. It's gonna get worse, even faster.

I'm bummed about the prices of everything, the abundance of entitled absolute assholes (not just only move-ins, but some long-timers), the distance you have to go to shoot a rifle, hunt, get away from people. The hunting is a pathetic shell of what it used to be around here. And so damn hard to find anybody that will "do a good job" at anything.

I was born in Bozeman, raised west of it, visited all the time growing up because my grandparents and some aunts and uncles still live there. I still dream of the day I can afford to live there. That said, my dad grew up there and his dad was a professor at MSU. When I go to Bozeman with my dad now it's always strange. He points things out that are still there, things that are gone, usually goes quiet and seems sad and distant. Friends that went to school there and wanted to live there permanently realized they couldn't cut it and had to leave, those that stayed complain constantly about the cost of living, the traffic, the change in culture, and more than anything: the cost of housing. It's a difficult place for middle-class millennials to build a career and life.

It's a beautiful place, in one of the best parts of Montana, located so close to many amazing things. It is both sunnier and snowier in the winter than Missoula, has an endless amount of things to do, and there's a youthful joy in that college town that just won't quit. Those that are there are there for a reason.

Every Montana city has a flavor: Butte has its rich mining history and fierce pride in what was once great, Helena seats the government and has its sleepy once-filled-with-gold gulch, Missoula has Griz Nation and hippies, Great Falls has the air base and the mighty Mo', Billings is gritty, industrial, and sprawling, Kalispell has "God's Ten Commandments" posted everywhere beneath dramatic peaks. Bozeman's flavor has changed between old and new, but it's definitely still got something for some.

The good news is, as long as you have wheels and Montana residency, a general deer or elk tag can take you pretty much anywhere you want to go to get away.

Just got back into town from a visit to the rural NW MT area I lived in for 18 years. It’s still a pretty place but it feels stuck in twenty years ago, more depressed and judging from the amount of political messaging even more polarized than when I left. I thought the guy from Alabama I sold my place to was just a good ole boy at the time. It sure was disappointing to see a Confederate flag waving from the garage I built. My memories of the place are of my kids riding their bikes barefoot down the driveway and terrorizing the local pine squirrels with their BB guns. Universal consensus among the family was we are all glad to live in Bozeman even with all its problems.

LOT of great things about Bozeman, which is why people keep coming. There are a TON of great things about Bozeman. Some of the things that bother people a lot - don't bother me at all. Bozeman is no longer a "small town". Most of the things people complain about regarding Bozeman, can be complained about anywhere in growing cities of similar size. It's gonna get worse, even faster.

I'm bummed about the prices of everything, the abundance of entitled absolute assholes (not just only move-ins, but some long-timers), the distance you have to go to shoot a rifle, hunt, get away from people. The hunting is a pathetic shell of what it used to be around here. And so damn hard to find anybody that will "do a good job" at anything.
Kurt I’m surprised to see a small town farm kid outdoorsman like yourself stick up so much for what Bozeman has become and what it is as the downfall of Montana. Your passion for defending it and making the best of a bad situation is admirable and is shedding a different light on the place than I’ve been giving it credit for. I’ve been glad to hear your perspective on things around there.

Always get a chuckle when people call it Bozangeles. Gotta wonder how many saying that have spent time in Los Angeles. Try it.

Traffic, assholes, crowded? Haha.

As you know, the term is nothing new for Bozeman. Your YMMV for the root and current relation to the use of Boz-Angeles. It's not related to "Traffic, assholes, crowded?"

The reference originated in Bozeman back 2006, ( https://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/21/magazine/the-face-of-bozeman.html?sec=travel&pagewanted=all ) from what I gather. New York Times article and another relate to the Bozeman area residents naming the wealthy / glitz 'n glam from California making Bozeman their posh spot for getaway fun - eventually led to the wonderous creation of the 2009, "Yellowstone Club"... $400k to become a member and some 10% annually.

Income statistics for Bozeman during this time:

1678793379452.png

As of recent - the surge has really enhanced the common themed usage of "Boz-Angeles" within various Insider, WSJ, even Montana Standard and other Montana (and Bozeman) News publications.
Montana Standard:
1678796953838.png

"It has not only been ranked the fastest-growing city of its size in the nation, but it's also becoming a tech hub that's attracting pioneering millennials from around the country. In fact, it's often somewhat disparagingly called "Boz Angeles" for the many Californians and celebrities that have come to town, as well as its perceived "fanciness" in relation to the rest of the state."

Forbes MSU mention of Boz Angeles refers to the following highlight:
"With a vibrant downtown and plentiful nearby outdoor recreation, Bozeman’s recent swanky transformation led to the Wall Street Journal dubbing the city “Boz Angeles.” Bridger Bowl and Big Sky Resort, two major ski
destinations, are within an hour of campus, while Yellowstone National Park is 90 miles away."

Meh, interesting morning coffee googling.

As you know, the term is nothing new for Bozeman. Your YMMV for the root and current relation to the use of Boz-Angeles. It's not related to "Traffic, assholes, crowded?"

The reference originated in Bozeman back 2006, ( https://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/21/magazine/the-face-of-bozeman.html?sec=travel&pagewanted=all ) from what I gather. New York Times article and another relate to the Bozeman area residents naming the wealthy / glitz 'n glam from California making Bozeman their posh spot for getaway fun - eventually led to the wonderous creation of the 2009, "Yellowstone Club"... $400k to become a member and some 10% annually.

Income statistics for Bozeman during this time:

View attachment 268411

As of recent - the surge has really enhanced the common themed usage of "Boz-Angeles" within various Insider, WSJ, even Montana Standard and other Montana (and Bozeman) News publications.
Montana Standard:
View attachment 268417

"It has not only been ranked the fastest-growing city of its size in the nation, but it's also becoming a tech hub that's attracting pioneering millennials from around the country. In fact, it's often somewhat disparagingly called "Boz Angeles" for the many Californians and celebrities that have come to town, as well as its perceived "fanciness" in relation to the rest of the state."

Forbes MSU mention of Boz Angeles refers to the following highlight:
"With a vibrant downtown and plentiful nearby outdoor recreation, Bozeman’s recent swanky transformation led to the Wall Street Journal dubbing the city “Boz Angeles.” Bridger Bowl and Big Sky Resort, two major ski
destinations, are within an hour of campus, while Yellowstone National Park is 90 miles away."

Meh, interesting morning coffee googling.
What really makes me laugh is all the criticism and unwarranted ridicule of Bozeman and the Gallatin Valley by those who merely web-surf for their info and have never really spent any time here.

For me it's not that I necessarily mind the California/tech influence. We've gotten a lot of nice amenities and really good restaurants out of the deal. I just hate to see many good friends that lived here for the outdoor opportunities get displaced by people that don't necessarily value or live here for those things. My BIL and his wife were an engineer/nurse and couldn't find a place to buy so they left for Missoula. Another hunting buddy was a vet tech but left due to the cost of housing. I'd hunt/fish with those guys many times in a season and we still do but it's more of an effort for everyone. My wife and I know many more that are only here due to longstanding landlords that have treated them well, but that could change in a hurry and if they had to leave, I'd leave more big holes in our friend circles. We had our neighbors over for dinner the other night and she's a teacher at one of the Bozeman schools. She said kids were making fun of other kids if their parents shopped at WinCO because "that's where the poor people shop." I know that stuff exists everywhere, but I don't think that kind of stuff was a thing in Bozeman 5-10 years ago. BTW, corn beef if on sale right now at WinCO 3.98/lb...

What really makes me laugh is all the criticism and unwarranted ridicule of Bozeman and the Gallatin Valley by those who merely web-surf for their info and have never really spent any time here.
SA, I knew the info though if I don't back it up... Well, certain people who criticize others for doing due diligence research, are laughable in their own right.

Hah! Amazing... Been there, done that ,worked there, know the deal.

We had our neighbors over for dinner the other night and she's a teacher at one of the Bozeman schools. She said kids were making fun of other kids if their parents shopped at WinCO because "that's where the poor people shop." I know that stuff exists everywhere, but I don't think that kind of stuff was a thing in Bozeman 5-10 years ago. BTW, corn beef if on sale right now at WinCO 3.98/lb...
That's the saddest thing I've heard in a while in a world not lacking in sad things.

Kurt nailed it in his last post. There is a lot of good in Bozeman and Gallatin Valley. There are some issue, but way more positive than negative in our eyes. Both my wife and I came from poor rural areas to attend MSU. We are alumni and will not leave until the kids are done with school.
Im not envious of what neighbors own, who does what, where you come from or what you drive. All the transplants I have meet and interact with are good people.
Bozeman still has a lot to offer for family life in sports, education and recreational.
The problems of growth we are experiencing are the same through out the inter mountain west. Add to it we have a top tier university, two ski resorts, and a huge ass valley with blue ribbon rivers surrounded by mountains, it’s not hard to see why we became a growth explosion.
It’s the same old story but with a modern twist of internet warriors sitting some where else bashing our town. There is more than plenty of work here for educated, non educated and tradesmen.
I do feel for the kids who grew up here to see housing go from 100k to 900k in two decades. My kids might not be able to afford to live here, but I’m selfish and want one in Alaska and the other on the Gulf of Mexico 😉

SA, I knew the info though if I don't back it up... Well, certain people who criticize others for doing due diligence research, are laughable in their own right.

Hah! Amazing... Been there, done that ,worked there, know the deal.
Some are pretty familiar with NW Montana and when it's pointed out some get butthurt.

you montana/bozeman folks better learn the practice of contentedness.

that pendulum ain't swinging back.

i have to check myself pretty often and remember the grass is indeed still green, because at the end of it, boy i'm still grateful to live in colorado, and what a chithole this place is. but grateful none the less. it's a damn fine place at the end of the day. massively better than the majority of places available in this country.

if you think a little bit of traffic, home prices, and a few transplants has ruined it up there in bozeman you have no idea what's sliding down the pike in the coming decade(s)

Some are pretty familiar with NW Montana and when it's pointed out some get butthurt.
You speak from experience... You assume too much - more often than a reasonable person. Then again, that's your game Buzz... You want to derail this thread further? Have at it. We can go back and forth all week long. Give me a minute so I may sip my coffee though. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back