Bozeman: is it really that bad anymore?

So you are staying in a Bozeman

So you are skiing 30 days at Big Sky but staying in a Bozeman hotel?
Sometimes. I move around. Sometimes I stay with friends in Big Sky. Sometimes I stay in West Yellowstone. And I mean 30 days over the course of a season. So 15 nights...somewhere. I used to stay at the Whitewater Inn on 191, which was great, but that is all employee housing now. Bucks T4 is workforce housing...the Corral hotel is workforce housing...and 1/3 of the Huntley Lodge is employee housing. So basically there is nowhere affordable to stay near the mountain anymore.

Sometimes. I move around. Sometimes I stay with friends in Big Sky. Sometimes I stay in West Yellowstone. And I mean 30 days over the course of a season. So 15 nights...somewhere. I used to stay at the Whitewater Inn on 191, which was great, but that is all employee housing now. Bucks T4 is workforce housing...the Corral hotel is workforce housing...and 1/3 of the Huntley Lodge is employee housing. So basically there is nowhere affordable to stay near the mountain anymore.
Quintessential thirty-day Big Sky ski bum nuevo part-time Bozemanite. You have it dialed in to a tee! (y)

I can recommend a killer 5 star VRBO.

Interesting article about the Hyundai R&D center moving to Bozeman. The opening line seems contrary to the general consensus of this thread:

“The state of Montana has a wealth of riches to draw in newcomers, including four full seasons offering a wide range of outdoors activities, no traffic, a low cost of living, and friendly people, to name just a few.”

Not sure I understand. Where are the workers going to live? Is Hyundai going to pay them enough to buy million dollar homes in Bozeman? Is Hyundai totally unaware of what's going on? Mind boggling. Somebody please explain.

Not sure I understand. Where are the workers going to live? Is Hyundai going to pay them enough to buy million dollar homes in Bozeman? Is Hyundai totally unaware of what's going on? Mind boggling. Somebody please explain.
Here’s how it’s gonna work; some couple from Silicon Valley will sell their 1.8M dollar 2 bed 1 bath condo, move to BozAngles and buy a 3 bed 2 back house for 1.1 and she’ll work from home making 100k as a data scientist, he’ll work as a systems engineer making 110k for Hyundai (20k cut from his SV job). They’ll be “living the dream” because they have pretty views of the mountains and no traffic. They may not be able to get a coffee at the local coffee shop but we’ll figure that out later…

I've boycotted AirBnb and VRBO. Cleaning fees, damage deposits, minimum three night stays, yada yada yada, no thanks. Give me a nice hotel, I'm in and out for a night, and the cleaning fee is included! Lol
Pretty sure those hotels have the cleaning and damage deposit built into the high nightly price, but could be wrong. 🙂

Have you thought about skiing Colorado?
I’ve got a nice little place I could give you a members only discount on!
😆

$130 is high to you? Lol. Priced any Airbnb's lately? And I'm talking about the real price, not the price they show you at first, before all the fees.
If you’re solo in Bozeman $130 for a hotel is a screaming deal. If you want an entire home with 3 bedrooms, 2 baths to sleep 6 with room to spare with a nice kitchen, garage, yard, BBQ, etc you’ll pay double that. Do the math. 🙂

I’ve stayed in hotels and VRBOs in many western states and Hawaii. VRBOs trump EVERY time if your not just looking for a bed and shower for you and somebody you want in your room.

Bozeman’s disdain for short term rental is way worse than its traffic, snobbery and high prices. A room tonight here in Motel 6 is $152. An off-season Priceline steal.

I realize I made a post about moving out of here a while back but as I contemplate it it's not horrible by any means. Those of us who have housing secured are in a whole different place than the others. My 2 married kids are here and frankly I don't see how they will ever get enough for a down payment with their current employment. It's a tough spot to be in. I'll stay awhile longer but there's a reason people are flocking here and it's because it's way better than somewhere else.

If you’re solo in Bozeman $130 for a hotel is a screaming deal. If you want an entire home with 3 bedrooms, 2 baths to sleep 6 with room to spare with a nice kitchen, garage, yard, BBQ, etc you’ll pay double that. Do the math. 🙂
Thank you Captain Obvious. Apparently you did not read my original posts about skiing Big Sky solo from Helena. Kind of feel like I'm banging my head against a wall talking to you.

But let me guess, you're one of those "genius" entrepreneurs who bought a property so you can VRBO it and make money, conveniently forgetting about the fact that you're screwing over regular Montanans by helping send real estate prices sky high, while also screwing over people in the workforce who need long-term rentals. Give yourself a pat on the back, you're doing your part to advance the ruination of Montana.

you're screwing over regular Montanans by helping send real estate prices sky high, while also screwing over people in the workforce who need long-term rentals. Give yourself a pat on the back, you're doing your part to advance the ruination of Montana.
Elaborate on this part.
Yours truly,
Captain Obvious.

And no - I own zero short term rentals but know a tiny bit about short, and long term rentals in Bozeman.

Last edited:
Today, my doc appointment was one of those reminders of a benefit that Bozeman does have that we might take for granted - top notch medical talent that practices here. I'd put the docs at Bridger Ortho in charge of most any issue I have. My GP is a star. He could live anywhere and probably make lots more money. With my liver, I am a complicated case. Yet, the medical care I can find in Bozeman is hard to find in other cities this size. A benefit to anyone within a few hours drive.

@Big Fin Is your arm guy the same extra young guy that did my shoulder a few years ago? Schwartzenberger? Alpine is also great - kelleher is the guy.

Hope you heal up soon!

Back