Blue Lives Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Guys . Never heard of it but I am sure my grandfather will remember it. He recently had me watch another movie about world war II called, Patton. He ( Patton ) gave a motivational speech of sorts in it.

;)

Ben Lamb, Vikingsguy o_O----:) I actually have a class where this speech might fit perfectly, especially since the Prof is a bit of an uptight &&^$%;)

Thanks Guys . Never heard of it but I am sure my grandfather will remember it. He recently had me watch another movie about world war II called, Patton. He ( Patton ) gave a motivational speech of sorts in it.

;)

Ben Lamb, Vikingsguy o_O----:) I actually have a class where this speech might fit perfectly, especially since the Prof is a bit of an uptight &&^$%;)
A very important editorial note - I am not yet a Grandpa!!

;)

Suddenly, I feel less young & vibrant.

1595525232285.png

That is a good thought. I have no concern with collective negotiation of salaries, benefits, and workplace conditions, but discipline and termination must be in the sole discretion of leadership (subject to the normal workplace discrimination laws) - mediation and arbitration have proven to prevent progress and I don't believe can be merely tweaked.

I will have to disagree with this one. It may be that my time as the Union Chairman for the wage employees at a Montana facility for a large corporation is coming to the fore, but so be it.

My experience is that supervisors are as flawed as any group of employees they supervise. Far too often, the solution reached by management is that if they terminate the employee,,, they get to keep the facade they like to show the public. ALL the union does in discipline cases is make the company,, city, whoever,, prove that their discipline is warranted and is proportionate to the infraction. I'd offer that the reason the Unions succeed so often at arbitrations is that the penalty imposed was not justified by the misdeed.

Slight off topic, though for humor sake.

Had a young man ask who Robin Williams was while a few of us discussed his passing. I tried to think of a recent movie w/ Williams. I replied, "You know, Ms. Doubtfire?" He gave us that oblivious look...

Later, I looked up the date for that movie...
1993! He wasn't a twinkle in mom and pop's mind. I felt my time on earth ticked a few notches.

Thank God, I didn't say, "You know, Mork & Mindy"...

I do believe that in some communities, M-Raps, armored personnel carriers, etc should be available to PD's, especially in major municipalities where the scale and scope of the mission could require that kind of heavy machinery.
Agreed. It’s unfortunate and it’s not pretty, but having the right tools can certainly make things safer for the officers responding.

Agreed. It’s unfortunate and it’s not pretty, but having the right tools can certainly make things safer for the officers responding.
Reminds me of riot gear and anti-law enforcement throwing a tissie over such excess rough looking LEO'S. Restrictive hard helmets, large Plexiglas screens, more bulk attire is a hindering use however, beats the heck out of a brick slamming into the skull of an Officer while protecting life and property...

@Sytes - I am sincerely interested if there are any (and if so which) of the bullets on my long reform post that you some value in, even it tweaked a bit?

My experience is that supervisors are as flawed as any group of employees they supervise. Far too often, the solution reached by management is that if they terminate the employee,,, they get to keep the facade they like to show the public. ALL the union does in discipline cases is make the company,, city, whoever,, prove that their discipline is warranted and is proportionate to the infraction. I'd offer that the reason the Unions succeed so often at arbitrations is that the penalty imposed was not justified by the misdeed.
I couldn't agree more. Too often people fault the unions, when in reality it's the fact there are a lot of very shitty supervisors who don't follow just cause in disciplinary actions

I couldn't agree more. Too often people fault the unions, when in reality it's the fact there are a lot of very shitty supervisors who don't follow just cause in disciplinary actions
Yet somehow the rest of the 89% of American employees get by. I have been on both sides of this and I don't buy that unions need to protect bad cops from discipline because of bad supervisors.

Yet somehow the rest of the 89% of American employees get by. I have been on both sides of this and I don't buy that unions need to protect bad cops from discipline because of bad supervisors.
Maybe you don't, but I've seen enough instances where unions did what they were supposed to do, from contractual violations to wrongful terminations that I don't buy for a second they aren't warranted. I have a very close friend who is battling a host of issues, from hostile work environment to eventually a wrongful termination suit. He doesn't have union representation, and I guarantee this would be much easier for him to work through were he to have that representation.

A couple simple ways to show support for Police, Sheriff's Deputies, Highway Patrol and others is to walk up to them if they are out in public, shake their hands, and tell them thank you for the extremely difficult job that they do. I go to a drive through Florence Coffee shop here in town. When I see a detective, or patrol officer on duty going though periodically I will tell the person at the window that I will pay for their drinks also and give them a $10.00 bill or something and tell the server to keep the change as a tip. I saw 4 officers going into a Gyro place in town the other day and I called up the business and paid for their order on the phone and told her that someone driving past just wanted to do something nice for these fine people. The lady who took my order stated that the officers were extremely honored and felt appreciated. It might make someones day, and goodness knows they need to have a few good days about now.

Sorry, they are not protecting them from discipline, they are protecting them from discipline that is not defensible to a third party.

By almost any measure, a large share of the 89% you cite work for miserable wages and the fear if they rock the boat,, they're gone. I think it is safe to assume that very few in the bottom half of the socio-economic ladder belong to a union.

Sorry, they are not protecting them from discipline, they are protecting them from discipline that is not defensible to a third party.

By almost any measure, a large share of the 89% you cite work for miserable wages and the fear if they rock the boat,, they're gone. I think it is safe to assume that very few in the bottom half of the socio-economic ladder belong to a union.
This is going to become even more pertinent with the advent of "duty to intervene" policies that are coming out of the woodwork. There is/will be a drastic paradigm shift within law enforcement culture, and it won't come easy. Union representation will be vital to effect the shift that should and must take place. Anyone who thinks this shift can and would happen without fear of reprisal and retaliation is on crack.

A couple simple ways to show support for Police, Sheriff's Deputies, Highway Patrol and others is to walk up to them if they are out in public, shake their hands, and tell them thank you for the extremely difficult job that they do. I go to a drive through Florence Coffee shop here in town. When I see a detective, or patrol officer on duty going though periodically I will tell the person at the window that I will pay for their drinks also and give them a $10.00 bill or something and tell the server to keep the change as a tip. I saw 4 officers going into a Gyro place in town the other day and I called up the business and paid for their order on the phone and told her that someone driving past just wanted to do something nice for these fine people. The lady who took my order stated that the officers were extremely honored and felt appreciated. It might make someones day, and goodness knows they need to have a few good days about now.
I've done that with military in uniform for years, but good reminder I need to add LEOs to my radar as well.

Last edited:

I think that is a huge overstatement. Basis compensation, facility safety, and employee engagement surveys in union vs non-union plants have consistently favored non-union for two large employers I have had worked for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Failure2Adapt
Back