Yeti GOBOX Collection

Blue Lives Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually click on threads like this or follow them because I find it interesting to see what people outside the media actually feel about hot topic issues. To view things from a perspective of people who aren’t getting paid to talk. Lately though it seems more and more of the same people just going back and forth and neither one is changing the others opinions. That’s when they become a waste of time to me. This thread was very interesting at first.

I usually click on threads like this or follow them because I find it interesting to see what people outside the media actually feel about hot topic issues. To view things from a perspective of people who aren’t getting paid to talk. Lately though it seems more and more of the same people just going back and forth and neither one is changing the others opinions. That’s when they become a waste of time to me. This thread was very interesting at first.
Some do spiral to pointless, undoubtedly. But I don't view the point of discussion to change minds. It is to share perspectives, that later upon reflection or further experience may help shape a reader's viewpoint a bit. Plus, remember, for every guy/gal engaged in the debate there are probably 10x-15x passive readers - they too may gain something from the exchange even if the active posters remain entrenched.

Also, pointless spiral is not just a political thread problem on HT - the Utah bonus point system thread comes to mind.

@JLS @VikingsGuy I respect what you guys are saying and I get it. But everything stated by you guys and others on this thread the country has been doing for close to 100 years in some way shape or form. It's a constant struggle that will never end. I'm not saying stop doing these things but dont act like the country hasn't been doing these things all along. One of the biggest gifts but also burdens we as humans and society have is that we think we can fix EVERYTHING. But sometimes society needs to concede that we can not fix everything and in fact we are not in control to begin with. His will is gonna be done regardless so as single human beings every problem starts with one person and that's yourself. The solution to that problem is to be a better human and fix your own inadequacies which in turn reflects on the society around you in Hope's they will also work on their own inadequacies and so on down the line. Nobody can make you be a good or bad person or a good or bad cop. Good and bad comes from within yourself and where your heart resides and spends it's time.

Talk does nothing our actions shape everything.

As someone who's been known to open carry, I fully understand this statement. I've never been put under a knee though.
This is a really good example of what I was referencing. The mere act of carrying a firearm where it is legal to do so does not open up reasonable suspicion for an officer to detain and ID someone. Too often officers get locked into a "I'm the 5-0 and you'll do what I say", even though they have no legal authority to do so, or they are unsure of where their legal authority starts and where it ends. Then, we get to witness pissing matches and sometimes wrongful arrests, and sometimes a citizen who gambled on the wrong tidbit of internet knowledge.

I am always reluctant to take videos at face value, because they don't always show the full context of the contact. However, I just recently watched one (body cam video) where a college student was semi-detained and threatened with a Taser by a cop who didn't know his legal limitations. It was painful to watch. The cop resigned in lieu of termination. Fortunately, it didn't evolve into a use of force situation, so I commend the officer for that. Regardless, the bar needs to be raised.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a couple buddies from HS that are San Diego PD, 2 years out till retirement and they can't wait to make that last call and move out of CA. Ones headed to SD, well deserved retirement after working homicide for 20+ years.

I'm curious to hear the detractors side of this, there seems to be more than a few.
He will be more than welcome in SD!!!!

@JLS @VikingsGuy I respect what you guys are saying and I get it. But everything stated by you guys and others on this thread the country has been doing for close to 100 years in some way shape or form. It's a constant struggle that will never end. I'm not saying stop doing these things but dont act like the country hasn't been doing these things all along. One of the biggest gifts but also burdens we as humans and society have is that we think we can fix EVERYTHING. But sometimes society needs to concede that we can not fix everything and in fact we are not in control to begin with. His will is gonna be done regardless so as single human beings every problem starts with one person and that's yourself. The solution to that problem is to be a better human and fix your own inadequacies which in turn reflects on the society around you in Hope's they will also work on their own inadequacies and so on down the line. Nobody can make you be a good or bad person or a good or bad cop. Good and bad comes from within yourself and where your heart resides and spends it's time.

Talk does nothing our actions shape everything.
I do not expect perfection - it is unattainable. But I do expect us to be able to chip away at some entrenched problems. Minneapolis has had a string of mayors and police chiefs who have promised reform. Essentially zero progress has been made because in each case the police union blocked any meaningful change. So, how about we try a round or two of reform without a union in the way. Would that lead to perfection - hell no. Might we make some progress - hell yes. Might it cause new problems we would have to respond to - likely. Humans are imperfect, human institutions are imperfect - but I do not accept that this fundamental truth means we stop trying to improve. Maybe not in your instance, but in general I feel that "always been the case" logic is just a weak excuse to do nothing. We have developed a police system that works fairly well for Caucasians and that really works well for the rich - it is worth some additional effort to see if we can make it work better for the poor and people of color.

Last edited:
Some do spiral to pointless, undoubtedly. But I don't view the point of discussion to change minds. It is to share perspectives, that later upon reflection or further experience may help shape a reader's viewpoint a bit. Plus, remember, for every guy/gal engaged in the debate there are probably 10x-15x passive readers - they too may gain something from the exchange even if the active posters remain entrenched.

Also, pointless spiral is not just a political thread problem on HT - the Utah bonus point system thread comes to mind.
Haha you have a point. Most bonus point threads derail and definitely that one derailed.

He will be more than welcome in SD!!!!
He was just back there for the 4th. Went to a nice little party. Fished the stream running through his property, caught a few browns. Fished his way back to CA with his wife and son. He can probably tell you down to the exact second when his retirement will be.

This is a really good example of what I was referencing. The mere act of carrying a firearm where it is legal to do so does not open up reasonable suspicion for an officer to detain and ID someone. Too often officers get locked into a "I'm the 5-0 and you'll do what I say", even though they have no legal authority to do so, or they are unsure of where their legal authority starts and where it ends. Then, we get to witness pissing matches and sometimes wrongful arrests, and sometimes a citizen who gambled on the wrong tidbit of internet knowledge.

I am always reluctant to take videos at face value, because they don't always show the full context of the contact. However, I just recently watched one (body cam video) where a college student was semi-detained and threatened with a Taser by a cop who didn't know his legal limitations. It was painful to watch. The cop resigned in lieu of termination. Fortunately, it didn't evolve into a use of force situation, so I commend the officer for that. Regardless, the bar needs to be raised.
Regardless of how much I know I'm within my right, if it comes to wrestling with a LEO, I'll submit to the officer and live to fight another day in the proper channels. It's seems all to often these days it's fight first, then cry the victimhood.

Agreed but like I stated it all starts from within by people individually no matter what position your in of power. And you nor me can make anyone do the right things. To make it worse we both know the right things are rarely agreed upon. Lol

If people on this forum havent noticed when it comes to these topics I despise the word "we" as in "we" as a society need to do better. NO!!!!
YOU as an individual in society needs to do better.
Stop blaming society for an individuals shortcomings.

Regardless of how much I know I'm within my right, if it comes to wrestling with a LEO, I'll submit to the officer and live to fight another day in the proper channels. It's seems all to often these days it's fight first, then cry the victimhood.
True, but I can also see it from the standpoint of someone not wanting to submit too unlawful detention/orders. Me, I'd follow commands and then build up a nice retirement fund through civil court.

The best argument I've read/heard is that for many non-white Americans that submission is effectively a guilty plea.

I saw someone mentioned the Chicago PD stats. Last time I checked you could have a criminal record and work at the PD. That should tell you something. Standards at each PD/SO are different across the US. You will find that the farther west you go the higher the standards and pay are. I am not saying that the east is corrupt and the west is not. It is a different culture. If you go to the east coast many police officers are given free meals and perks. You can show your badge and get out of a traffic stop and get into sporting events. On the west coast that will get you fired or written up for doing those things. The standards or behavior is based upon the culture of policing in that area. There are bad cops everywhere. There is a presenter that is nationally known and presents to police officers and he has a saying that rings so true. if it is predictable, its preventable. If you think the crisis is bad now, wait 10 years, because no one in their right mind would start a career as a law enforcement officer.

The union issue that is mentioned is also alive and real. If you are a police chief/Sheriff you have a employment relationship with our officers. You can't arbitrarily fire them without giving them due process, even for egregious behavior. They officers have a right to employment and you have to follow the same processes if you are dismissing any other union employee. I have seen where a police chief has fired an officer for lying on an affidavit for a search warrant and then a arbitrator gave the officer his job back with back pay. The arbitrator said there were different kind of lies and this wasn't a bad one.

Rich

Agreed but like I stated it all starts from within by people individually no matter what position your in of power. And you nor me can make anyone do the right things. To make it worse we both know the right things are rarely agreed upon. Lol

If people on this forum havent noticed when it comes to these topics I despise the word "we" as in "we" as a society need to do better. NO!!!!
YOU as an individual in society needs to do better.
Stop blaming society for an individuals shortcomings.

When addressing 20-100 readers, none of whom I know personally, who collectively likely cover the gamut of perspectives, "we" makes more sense than, "you". But I agree, that in the end, "we" is just the aggregation of all the individual choices made. And one individual's choice can have a huge impact for good or for bad. Officer Chauvin made a bad choice, but a good choice by either of the other two officers could have saved a life. Their choices added to the choices of many other officers both good and bad have aggregated to the divide we have been discussing on this thread.

As far as "blaming society" - I don't agree with your premise. Individuality done right is a great strength, but extended to an extreme, like most things, breaks down. A planet with 8 billion people with intertwined lives, economies and environment can not be explained, understood or managed from a solely individualistic lens. There are undoubtedly societal level forces at play that shape the reality of the individuals. For example, I blame southern society in the 1950s for maintaining segregation - the actions of a single individual could not just rewrite the laws and reset the moral compass - the whole social and legal framework worked to maintain the status quo. In addition to each individual, and the aggregation of those individuals to "we", there are undoubtedly overarching social frameworks that have a huge impact on individual choices - and I call that "society" - and societies need a change sometimes too.

Last edited:
True, but I can also see it from the standpoint of someone not wanting to submit too unlawful detention/orders.
Disagree with that statement. I cannot see it from the standpoint of someone not wanting to submit to what they believe is an unlawful detention or order.

That individual has no clue whether there is a bolo that matches that person's description… An NCIC welfare check on that specific person... etc, Countless reasons to conduct an FI. Reasonable detention and Officer safety on one who may be completely uninvolved is not an illegal act, as you know.

For those not aware, picture an armed rapist / robber runs out of an apartment building, calls come in to 911, Officers dispatched, person in reasonable proximity, fitting the description pissed about some argument with a buddy walking along minding his/her own business...

Reasonable suspicion may exist to conduct a stop and determine if the person is/is not the suspect. Due to the circumstances as properly articulated for the detention, (armed, other extenuating circumstances) it may be at gun point, person may be proned and cuffed...

The perpetuated mentality that a person holds some authority to refuse a lawful order is what causes issues. Media advertising $$$... fickle mob amplified... "He's our neighborhood pastor and that white cop had him spread out right on the dirty street!"

*This is my personal opinion.

Disagree with that statement. I cannot see it from the standpoint of someone not wanting to submit to what they believe is an unlawful detention or order.

That individual has no clue whether there is a bolo that matches that person's description… An NCIC welfare check on that specific person... etc, Countless reasons to conduct an FI. Reasonable detention and Officer safety on one who may be completely uninvolved is not an illegal act, as you know.

For those not aware, picture an armed rapist / robber runs out of an apartment building, calls come in to 911, Officers dispatched, person in reasonable proximity, fitting the description pissed about some argument with a buddy walking along minding his/her own business...

Reasonable suspicion may exist to conduct a stop and determine if the person is/is not the suspect. Due to the circumstances as properly articulated for the detention, (armed, other extenuating circumstances) it may be at gun point, person may be proned and cuffed...

The perpetuated mentality that a person holds some authority to refuse a lawful order is what causes issues. Media advertising $$$... fickle mob amplified... "He's our neighborhood pastor and that white cop had him spread out right on the dirty street!"

*This is my personal opinion.
I agree that in a well-run system deference to a sworn officer is the right and only answer. And even in a poorly run system I personally will choose to comply blindly and live to fight another day, but at some point the number of petty crime and non-crime reasons for police to take this approach has to be addressed. An active burglary or hot on the heels of a rape or shooting are one thing, but I would guess the majority of non-arrest detentions and searches involve issues like unpaid fines, vagrancy, loitering, petty theft, being loud, moving violations or being in a neighborhood where you are not recognized, none of which are worth the escalation to prone on the ground pat-down for the person or the officer. And the only reason it is allowed in the current manner now is because of who the primary targets of these actions are. I guarantee you that if a bunch of suburban white business owners and housewives in my town got the prone pat-down this year the training and policies of that suburban police force would changed on a dime. But because it rarely happens to the folks with real power to make the changes it carries on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YellowCreek
Back