Blue Lives Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Until he was questioned about it and he had no idea thin blue line was for Police. He just thought it looked cool and it covered his face. Can't say he was necessarily looking to make a statement.
Really? Lol that bubble must be under a giant rock if he was oblivious to what the thin blue line is for.
I just got the pic sent to me.

I agree that in a well-run system deference to a sworn officer is the right and only answer. And even in a poorly run system I personally will choose to comply blindly and live to fight another day, but at some point the number of petty crime and non-crime reasons for police to take this approach has to be addressed. An active burglary or hot on the heels of a rape or shooting are one thing, but I would guess the majority of non-arrest detentions and searches involve issues like unpaid fines, vagrancy, loitering, petty theft, being loud, moving violations or being in a neighborhood where you are not recognized, none of which are worth the escalation to prone on the ground pat-down for the person or the officer. And the only reason it is allowed in the current manner now is because of who the primary targets of these actions are. I guarantee you that if a bunch of suburban white business owners and housewives in my town got the prone pat-down this year the training and policies of that suburban police force would changed on a dime. But because it rarely happens to the folks with real power to make the changes it carries on.

I'm with you on a lot, and I know that this will be controversial. But if those you noted above routinely fit the description of the perpetrator of the crimes in their areas, I honestly think they would get that pat down. But I'm willing to bet that the Bolo going out doesn't generally describe Karen and Kevin from the HOA.

I'm with you on a lot, and I know that this will be controversial. But if those you noted above routinely fit the description of the perpetrator of the crimes in their areas, I honestly think they would get that pat down. But I'm willing to bet that the Bolo going out doesn't generally describe Karen and Kevin from the HOA.

I hear you, and I am sure a nice polite pat-down happens from time to time in the burbs. And again, I am PRO good officer. They have a tough job and it's getting tougher.

But from my experience, the way it works in the suburbs I live in/around is that if I was a person of interest, I would be politely invited to talk to the police and my lawyer would negotiate a mutually acceptable time for me to come in and talk. No prone pat-down.

I've seen drunk white businessmen be total pricks to cops at a bar and not get shoved up against the wall or prone on the pavement. I have no doubt the type of steps laid out by Sytes are proper policy and procedure, and I understand why they are such, but I do not for a minute believe that they are equally applied. I believe that if they were, they would be dramatically toned down. White suburbanites - guilty or not - would not tolerate the type of aggressive policing we see too often from body cams.

Here is an actual experience in my suburb that I shared a while back on another thread:

"A big eye opener for me was a number of years ago when in the same week two events occurred in the same general neighborhood (a largely white suburb). Me, a middle aged white guy, does a “slow and go” right hand turn through a stop sign. A cop was right there and flipped his lights. When he asks for license and insurance I realized I had forgotten to print my latest version out. After running my license the cop gives me a friendly verbal warning. No ticket for the moving violation or the lack of evidence of insurance. A couple of days later a black friend (who was a cop in another local community) gets pulled over for no declared reason. The officer does not tell him why he was pulled over and does not seem to care that he his a fellow cop. He makes my friend get out of his car and lay on the ground. He calls in two other cars for backup and makes my friend lay there at gun point until they arrive. After the now 5 cops run his license and decide he has violated no laws they let him go without even an apology. So much for Minnesota nice."

The system actually works quite well for many of us upper middle income white guys - but that shouldn't be the only standard I apply. I should demand that the system work for every citizen, not just for me. It's time for us middle-aged white guys to put our priniciples into action and quit looking for easy excuses to justify the status quo. I (we) need to stand up and demand better for our neighbors of all backgrounds. We may not have the bully pulpit of the social media and we may not be able to rally a bunch of professional protesters at a moments notice, but we in fact sit in positions of influence and power that have much more sway after the noise of the moment goes away and we should quietly and effectively demand that our systems begin to change to serve more than just ourselves. 20 years of protests and drumbeats didn't cause the dropping of "Redskins" from the DC football team - that was done by Snyder's businessmen peers who said enough. White men disproportionately sit on local councils, school boards, police advisory boards, community planning commissions, etc, etc, - time to put the teachings of Christ into action.

Last edited:
Excessive Force isn’t the real story, it’s just an awesome excuse for a Marxist uprising.

A good healthy discussion about the importance of supporting the good law enforcement folks, something I think we all support. I guess five pages is longer than most can resist to take a turn into the ditch and make some statement they know will, 100% of the time, derail the discussion.

Not sure what it is with some of you. Having a worthwhile discussion is just too much temptation for your to bear. And you wonder why I close the non-hunting related threads when I see them going off the rails.

@3855WIN - Take your unrelated political diversion to Facebook. Adults were having an intelligent discussion before that post. Anyone interested in putting it back on track to the original topic?

I would like to thank the LEO's that are friends with----mnelknut, zach, and diamond hitch ---for their service

I also would like to thank 6mmrem, SFC B for their service and even thou Guy and Don did not respond on this thread I know they are also retired LEO's and I thank them.

There are a couple others on this forum and you know who you are and I thank you as well.

Some of these fellows are not allowed to express their opinion on any social media outlet or forum or they could lose their job. And/or be harassed

. And speaking of harassment , they dont just get harassed when on the job, They try to keep their chosen profession hidden from people in their own neighbor hood, as their family can also be harassed . There is one gentlemen on this forum whom I respect and thank, who has to be careful who he tells that he is a LEO, because of his concern for this family, and his job.

I thank Cheyenne for her assistance to the RCMP when needed and requested.

I know many will say this is out of step with the times and "simplistic " and your probably right. But I support, thank and respect those who risk their life everyday for us.

When a bad cop surface's he must be removed form the force and tried before a jury of his peers, but I just dont understand eliminating and harassing the entire police force because of one bad cop, or maybe even a good cop who in a split second, which is all the time they have sometimes to make a decision, make a wrong assessment of a situation and is now out of a job and possibly standing before a judge and possibly jail time.

How many of you would want to go to work everyday knowing you might get shot that day and not come home. Or make a mistake that day that could put you behind bars ----but---your expected to be there when we call, to protect and help us! And if that isn't enough, now , nobody respects you, thanks you, and wants to cut your pay as will as your right to protect yourself, dont want to serve you in restaurants, throw things at you, yell at you, threaten you-------for doing your job. But, BUT--if these same people need help and are threaten they expect LEO to help them.

My hats off to you fellows, I could not do it ! Thank you

And thanks to all you ladies and gentlemen who responded to this thread as there was a lot of good information and thoughts shared.

My friend does not live in the community that he works in. Funny story:

He is interviewing some criminal and the criminal says he is from the same town my friend lives in. All of a sudden, my friend realizes he has a hat on that can identify where he lives. He casually reaches up, but quickly, and flips the hat around backwards. Never wore that hat again on the job!

when we were in Texas, I had friends who worked in ICE and the crap they put up with is unbelievable .

I do not believe I have the disposition to be an officer. And April, you made me stop and think

I just never thought about the officer and his wife, thinking every morning when he leaves he may not be back that night. Or his children asking him why is everybody mad at you daddy ?

A side to this I had just never given much thought to-

Cops in Chicago could sure use a hand. Angry mob puts on a coordinated assault detailed in this video. I feel for those guys and wish they had more support.

I’m concerned about the next generation of recruitment to LE. HS kids see what is going on now and I wonder how many of them might be dissuaded from going into public safety careers due to all the social upheaval and erosion of public support for LE agencies.

I think one helpful thing we can do as communities is support the profession itself, the institution of LE. This is sorely lacking in many other countries, and we can look and see the result you get from that: severe corruption, and a safety void filled by organized criminal gangs.

As others have pointed out, we can support the institution of LE, and also question union practices, lack of accountability, scope of policing, need for alternative resources to address mental health and homelessness, etc.

What I see are city council members across the country deriding the LE institution in what appears to be frustration, and a desire for a quick radical change that gets funneled towards the current faces of the police force.

I’m concerned about the next generation of recruitment to LE. HS kids see what is going on now and I wonder how many of them might be dissuaded from going into public safety careers due to all the social upheaval and erosion of public support for LE agencies.

Who knows, maybe it will draw a higher percentage of young folks more interested in community engagement and less with the chance to be an authority figure. More old school neighborhood beat cop and less TV flashy SWAT. Of my high school colleagues 3 went into police - 1 did it for all the right reasons and rose up in the ranks - an impressive career of service and one hell of a guy who I respect greatly. The other 2 just wanted to carry a big gun and hassle the “little people”. They both eventually washed out, but feel sorry for the young, poor or minorities they crossed in their days in blue/brown (sheriff’s office).

Are you referring to different sentence for equal crimes or sentencing in general?
Here‘s a fairly lengthy read on the topic if you’re interested. I can’t vouch for the source, which obviously has a certain political leaning, but the numbers seem to be in-line with generally accepted notions, principally, that black defendants get longer sentences than white defendants for the same crimes. The article also points out that there’s a separate factor at work that transcends race, and that is, as so many in this thread have already mentioned, money. There’s a different criminal justice system in this county for those who can afford good representation, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back