Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Bitterroot Bull

tjones

I just can't seem to resist jumping aboard the rag horn express. All though as tough as things are now in the Bitterroot I am damn glad to have him. Big thanks to shoots straight for helping pack out and butcher. He gave up and excellent evening of whitetail hunting to be a pack mule.

P9110002.jpg

It is a bit of a crazy story how this went down. I had a tree stand up on a wallow I have hunted for years with some success. The plan was to slip in before first light, do a little cow calling and spend the morning at the wallow.

All was going according to plan until I get to me tree. Its still dark and I shine my light up the tree and the stand is gone. Some SOB stole the stand and all my steps. Now its not like the wallow is near a road, it is a bit of a hump to get to. Guess they needed it worse then I did. Bummer is it was my favorite stand. It was custom built as a light weight stand for just these places, when it takes a hike to get to the spot.

Now completly pissed off I set up by the wallow and did some calling for about a half hour and nothing. So moving uo the canyon, on a perfect September day, I cross a finger ridge that opens up to a real clean, yet thick lodgepole hillside. Let out a bugle and a couple of cow calls, and this bull answer below me about 150 yards.

Now not wanting him to get down wind, I hustle back over the finger ridge and head down to pinch him off between the creek bottom so he can't get down wind without coming to me.

I set up bugle once and he comes back right on top of my bugle, a couple of cow calls and I can hear him coming, he boils in on me at 28 yards, slight quarteing to me. On his way in he went behind a tree and I drew. I tuck the 30 yard pin tight behind the shoulder and let drive. He wheels and runs off and I can see the arrow buried to the fletch right there.

I give him the longest 2 hours I have ever set, thinking that at the angle the arrow probably angled to one lung and liver. Probably should have waited for more broadside and will next time.

I go to where he was standing and its easy to find the jump marks, I find a bed and a broken arrow about 70 yards, go another 70 yards and jump him,,,damnit, I circle way around and head out. I will come back in the afternoon. Get back to town load up shoots straight and pack frames and head back in the late afternoon. A little searching and anxious moments shoots straight finds him bedded in a depression, stone dead and stiff.

Had I spent the day in my stand I would not have gotten him. Crazy how things work out.

P9120006.jpg

Good job on a nice bull, he'll dang sure fill some freezer space.

Back to your missing treestand, what is with people these damn days. My buddy went to set up at his wallow over in North Idaho this past weekend and his game camera was stolen, same as you not easy to get to or find. WTF is wrong with these people? Sorry to hear about your stand, but at least you still filled the freezer.

Bummer about the stand. Here is MN it's not legal to leave a stand on "regular" public land at all. I believe you can leave it on forestry land for like 12 days at a time if you keep using it, but I'm not in to getting my stuff stolen so I never would.

Nicve bull you got there too!

congrats on the bull.

Here in Utah there has been a bunch of stands and trail cams stolen this year..Everyone just assumed it was other hunters. Come to find out it was a bunch of peta and sierra club fags doing it..they got caught in the act by a hunter ...Just another possibility

Here in Utah there has been a bunch of stands and trail cams stolen this year..Everyone just assumed it was other hunters. Come to find out it was a bunch of peta and sierra club fags doing it..they got caught in the act by a hunter ...Just another possibility
Makes me think it was some wolf worshipers...being from the Bitterroot and all.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbaker
Back