Bison Restoration Project DOA

Straight Arrow

"A proposed “test project” to restore bison to the UL Bend National Wildlife Refuge has been submitted to Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks for consideration under the state’s new guidelines, but will not be considered due to litigation." Billings Gazette May 13, 2020

P1000397.JPG

Unfortunately, Montana FWP's decisions are critically impacted by political paranoia and litigation, rather than science, viable wildlife management principles, and the North American Conservation Model.

"A proposed “test project” to restore bison to the UL Bend National Wildlife Refuge has been submitted to Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks for consideration under the state’s new guidelines, but will not be considered due to litigation." Billings Gazette May 13, 2020

Unfortunately, Montana FWP's decisions are critically impacted by political paranoia and litigation, rather than science, viable wildlife management principles, and the North American Conservation Model.

In this instance, I think it's the right call. FWP is currently being sued on their FEIS. If that lawsuit is successful ( I highly doubt that it will be, and will simply be used to advance ant-bison legislation again), then the proposal is not going to be accepted anyway, since there is no framework for putting a plan together at the agency level.

In 2013, there were around 12 anti-bison bills. We saw only a couple in 2015 & 2017 due to the backstop of the Governor's veto pen. Last session 2 more anti-bison bills were passed, one of which would have eliminated the hunt outside of Yellowstone because the intent was to make ALL bison livestock, rather than wildlife. The other bill would have shifted wildlife management authority over to County Commissions.

Those bills will pass in 2021. If there isn't a Gubernatorial backstop, then we will lose all wild bison in MT.

Those bills will pass in 2021. If there isn't a Gubernatorial backstop, then we will lose all wild bison in MT.

That would be an absolute shame. The anti-rhetoric surrounding bison is sometimes baffling to me.

That would be an absolute shame. The anti-rhetoric surrounding bison is sometimes baffling to me.
Isn't it crazy? Blame wolves for poor elk hunting, treat elk like a nuisance, and treat bison like the red headed step children to elk.

Back