Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

MT Bison Hunt Get's Little Public Support

BigHornRam

If we applied the 3 Fools logic here, the Montana Bison Hunt should be dead in the water.

Comments show limited support for bison hunt
Posted on July 31
By BECKY BOHRER of the Associated Press

BILLINGS - The majority of people who commented on a plan to continue Montana's controversial hunting of bison that leave Yellowstone National Park say they oppose the idea and believe the practice should be stopped or changed.

The state Fish, Wildlife and Parks Commission is expected to decide Thursday whether the hunt goes on. The panel is set to act on a plan that would double the number of licenses available to hunters for last season's hunt, the first in the state in 15 years. The plan calls for allowing up to 100 bison to be killed over three months.

At least 68 of the 77 comments received by the Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife and Parks opposed the plan or called for changes in the way the hunt is conducted, a review of comments provided by the department shows.

Many of the comments were from out of state, from places such as Florida, New York, California, even the Netherlands. Several had similar wording.

Eight comments, including one from the Greater Yellowstone Coalition, a conservation group, supported the plan, though several also urged wildlife officials to increase the number of available licenses. At least five of those commenting were from Montana.

The remaining comment focused on a state-federal research project involving young bison from Yellowstone.

The total number of comments compares with the 299 that department spokeswoman Mel Frost said were submitted last year, before the wildlife commission decided to reinstate a hunt and allow up to 50 bison to be killed.

The agency received many form-letter comments last year, Frost said. She did not have a break down of the number for or against the hunt then.

The number of people who opposed the hunt this year should speak volumes to decision makers, said Dan Brister, a spokesman for the activist Buffalo Field Campaign. Brister said his group encouraged people to submit comments but didn't send out form letters.

But Ron Aasheim, administrator of Fish, Wildlife and Park's communication-education division, said the issue is not one driven by majority rule and won't be decided on the weight of public comments alone.

"The fact is, we've got to look as some solutions down there," he said. Aasheim said he didn't believe any of the comments received raised new issues.

Bison management has been a controversial issue for years, largely because of brucellosis, a disease found in the Yellowstone bison herd.

Many ranchers and livestock industry leaders worry that bison that leave the park in winter to look for food in Montana could spread the disease to cattle in the state, putting into jeopardy the state's prized brucellosis-free status and possibly leading to trade sanctions.

A government plan allows for wandering bison to be hazed, captured or sent to slaughter in an effort to reduce the potential for disease transmission. State wildlife officials see hunting as another management tool.

Park officials in March estimated the bison population at 3,500, above the management plan's target of 3,000. A new estimate is expected in a few weeks.

Some people, like Bill Nolan of Missoula, said 100 hunting licenses is too few and that the hunt should be expanded. Many others disagreed _ some, in harsh language. One e-mail comment, from a woman in Mississippi, was sent with the subject line "Disgraceful." Another said Montana was becoming known as "the killing fields of America."

Susan and Lee Eakins of Missoula wrote in their comments that they and others, who view Yellowstone bison as Western icons, "are disgusted by the behavior of this state."

Nolan cited as one reason for his support of an expanded hunt the number of bison killed last winter under the management plan. Nearly 900 bison were sent to slaughter last winter under terms of the plan. Forty bison were killed as part of the state-run hunt.

"Many hunters and non-hunters would love to have a freezer full of bison, and then we don't have to spend more taxpayer money to have the state deal with the bison leaving the park," he wrote.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul, why would the 3 Fool logic leave this hunt dead in the water. Public comment on this issue is much different than other issues we have argued before. Am I missing your point?

mtmiller,

BHR doesnt understand the issue...let alone the difference between a state issue and a federal issue.

Not surprising.

Looks like MT's hunters really went all out on written comments...as usual..."At least 68 of the 77 comments"

Notice how people like BHR only take time to comment after the results are posted.

BHR, was your comment one of the 9 comments in favor or the current management plan? I doubt you even bothered to comment.

Sorry to say, I didn't even know that there was a comment period, and that the hunt was in question. Last I read the state was trying to get the extra tags. It wasn't a question of having a hunt but how many tags.

At least 68 of the 77 comments received by the Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife and Parks opposed the plan or called for changes in the way the hunt is conducted, a review of comments provided by the department shows.

Buzz read the whole thing.
I to did not know that there was a question on if the hunt was going to happen.
And Yes I would make some changes in how the hunt is conducted, kick the press out!!!!

Craig,

The 3 Fools are the ones that constantly point to the "public" comment process when promoting their point of view. This and other articles I've posted shows that the process is crap and gets little "public" participation.

Just an opportunity for the anti's to claim an over 88% public opposition to the Bison hunt. Most reading this article know how false that claim would be. Which comment is more in line with the average Montanan or U. S. citizen?

"Susan and Lee Eakins of Missoula wrote in their comments that they and others, who view Yellowstone bison as Western icons, "are disgusted by the behavior of this state.""

""Many hunters and non-hunters would love to have a freezer full of bison, and then we don't have to spend more taxpayer money to have the state deal with the bison leaving the park," he wrote."

The article does a good job pointing out how extreme and out of touch the anti's are, expecially in the public comment process. Same goes for logging, ranching, trapping, wolf issues, ect............

Cathunt, classic excuse..."I didnt know there was a public comment period".

What a pathetic excuse...

Dont blame the people that made the comments, they were within their rights to comment on something they're concerned about.

What this illustrates is what I've written on this board many, many, many times.

Hunters are a complacent bunch of whiners. They rarely get involved in the public comment periods, yet bitch endlessly about issues like this. You know what, if you dont have the time to comment...tough shit then if it doesnt go your way. Classic example is the wolf issue. Of all the people I know that hunt, I bet less than one half of one percent of the hunters in MT bothered to comment. Yet, those same people bitch, whine, and complain endlessly about wolves.

I used to attend all the MTFWP public meetings on important issues when I lived in Missoula. Typical turnout in a town of 80K+ would be 30-40. Always the same faces, always the same people making public comments. Pretty pathetic considering how many thousands of people in Missoula or the Missoula area hunt.

I heard it was the same way in Billings, Bozeman, Great Falls, etc.

I have no sympathy for those that cant take the time to comment on issues important to hunting.

Public involvement definately has an impact on how state and federal issues are decided. Get involved or quit bitching.

Cathunt, classic excuse..."I didnt know there was a public comment period".
Buzz if you are going to quote something I said then make sure I said it....
I did not see anything in the local paper saying anything about if there was going to be a hunt.

Cathunt,

Ever heard of the Montana Fish Wildlife and Parks department?

They have this neat deal called a website. On that website they have a news link.

I find that particular link has many important issues about MT's wildlife and wildlife management on it.

I also stop by the Montana Hunting and Fishing Journal website...many federal and state hunting, fishing, wildlife, resource issues are found there. Complete with a daily update on important articles like public lands management comment periods, wildlife management issues, etc. can be found there.

Anyone with half a firing brain cell can stay pretty up-to-date on the important issues...it isnt that tough.

Its not even that difficult to take an hour several times a year to actually comment on the issues.

You should try it sometime.

What I am trying to say if they want a public comment on a issue then they should make it more of a public notice. The paper would be a good place to start. I THINK they did a poll like 92% of Billings reads the paper on sunday.
I did sit in on some of the Wolf issues but everyone had a idea that was going on.

Yea Buzz, it's within the anti's rights to comment on hunting issues, but do their comments like these need to be recorded?

"Many others disagreed _ some, in harsh language. One e-mail comment, from a woman in Mississippi, was sent with the subject line "Disgraceful." Another said Montana was becoming known as "the killing fields of America.""

I guess the gov. agencies can start a file title "Critisisms and complaints from clueless kooks and crazies" to put comments like these in triplicate. Who knows...it may come in handy if we ever have an ass whipe shortage. Just think how many trees have to die each year just to properly document this crap! What a waste!

BuzzH said:
Cathunt,

Ever heard of the Montana Fish Wildlife and Parks department?

They have this neat deal called a website. On that website they have a news link.

I find that particular link has many important issues about MT's wildlife and wildlife management on it.

I also stop by the Montana Hunting and Fishing Journal website...many federal and state hunting, fishing, wildlife, resource issues are found there. Complete with a daily update on important articles like public lands management comment periods, wildlife management issues, etc. can be found there.

Anyone with half a firing brain cell can stay pretty up-to-date on the important issues...it isnt that tough.

Its not even that difficult to take an hour several times a year to actually comment on the issues.

You should try it sometime.

Buzz - Could you please be a little more condescending? I know with a little extra effort, your patronizing would place you all the way at the tip-top of the ladder from our feeble points of view.

BHR,

Yes, it does need to be documented as part of the public record. Whether or not you agree with the process or the comments...thats the way the system works.

If even 1% of MT's hunters would have taken the time to comment...guess what? Their comments would have overwhelmed the negative comments and would also be part of the public record. Its real simple.

Sled Idaho...

People are lazy...thats why they dont know about the important issues...and thats why they bitch about wolves when they fail to kill an elk from the window of the pick-up...and why they dont take a couple hours a year to comment on the sport they supposedly love.

It isnt my job to spoon-feed people their mush. However, I wont be handing out sympathy to the people that cant do 1-2 minutes of research a week to keep updated.

As to the rest of your post about my condescending tone...

Jimmy crack corn....

Same thing here in Idaho. We rarely see more than 50-75 people show up at the F&G public meetings, and rarely hear comments from even 10 of them.

It's kinda like people who don't vote, but then spend all their time bitchin' about what politicians are doing.

Imagine what would have happened to the wolf re-introduction program if all the thousands of hunters who now bitch about wolves had ever shown up at any of the public meetings or sent in comments opposing re-introduction.

Buzz,

I sent in comments in favor of the bison hunt a couple years ago. Then newly elected Schweitzer decided to pulled the plug on the hunt at the last minute. That got him a bunch of fan mail from myself and thousands of other Montana Sportsmen. I think he got the message. Do we need to repeat ourselves every year about our thoughts on the hunt, or is the fact that many thousands a year that apply for a tag, proof enough that it's popular?

You like to whine about ATV's. Did you get your comments in concerning their use and abuse in the Petty Creek area? Often sportsmen have their voices heard through sportsmen's groups like RMEF, FNAWS, NWF, ect. Well thought out comments from groups like this carry a lot of weght in the process. Also most of the meetings I've attended as of late have been well attended. Last one had almost as many people standing in the hall as in the room.

What does Jimmy think about that?

Don't quote me on this, I going off memory. The fact that the first year of the drawing, the one that was canceled, 8,000 applicants filed for the 15 tags shows the support that the FW&P has for a Bison Hunt.
Regardless of the comment period, cancel the hunt and you'll hear a scream, loud and clear.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back