Bipod, Sticks, Pack, or Nothing?

ElkHunter11

Just curious to see what others use for their hunting trips for shooting purposes? I'm going to have my bipod mounted, but will have a monopod stick in my pack for backup.

Depending on the distance for me. If I'm shooting any type of distance I get proned out. If that's not possible depending on the terrain bipods aren't bad to have either. I have used my pack as well or even coats to lay my gun on to get solid.

Never like using a bi-pod, to bulky and cumbersome. Usually use the pack, or I found a Bi-pod shooting stick @ Cabelas that adjusts from sitting to standing height that I am going to use this year. this one was only $30 if I remember correctly, much better deal than some of the name brand shooting sticks.

I use an old pair of ski poles as hiking sticks. (I don't think that's the correct term anymore) I also carry a piece of twine, or some elastic cord. If I need shooting sticks, I use the cord to bind together, quickly, and I've got shooting sticks. It's worked for about 10 years so far, and fewer pieces of stuff to carry around.

My guide carries a tripod for me to shoot off of. It is the Primos with the trigger that adjusts the height. Legs come together so it's not bulky for carrying, but opens very quickly. Very solid to shoot off of in the standing position, and the legs can be shortened when we are sitting in a makeshift blind or near a waterhole.

I've been using Bipod Shooting Sticks for 6 years now, and they are still going strong. I have not found anything better, lighter or more easy to use and pack. They work for mountain hunting, the flat lands of SD and every place in-between. I've also used them at my gun club. I highly recommend them. The presentation is a little "different" but effective. Take a look! http://bipodshootingsticks.com/index.htm

I use prone,pack,branch or tripod. I had been using sticks but I like the tripod for bin/spotter and I have a shooting rest for it.

I like my pack for shooting probe and I always carry a pair of stony point shoting sticks. They fold up small and I carry them on my waste strap of my packs. They deploy quickly and I love proping my binos on them while glassing. I think primos calls them safari stix.

I've used Snipe Pods. Light weight. Also like to use a pack as a shooting bench if possible.

I loved my bipod till it was stolen, I was guiding and reckon I know the client though could never prove it.

Have used pack and shooting sticks since but they don't compare for me.

I usually use something natural or pack, trekking pole if you use them can be crossed, using wrist straps to make a pretty solid rest.

I hated my bipod every minute last year while climbing through brush until it was time for the shot - sure felt better at that point and it gave me the height to shoot over the sage where my pack could not. I think this year I will be packing lightweight sticks instead.

Off-hand out 150, steady sticks to 250, backpack from 250 and beyond. Only use bipods in open country, antelope type stuff.

I carry sticks if I'm pronghorn hunting or other si.ilar open terrain, other than that I make do with whatever rest I can make.

I've tried bipods in the past and couldn't stand them.

I use harris bipod's, very steady without having to carry something else in my other hand or pack.

I always have my Harris bipod on. If given the opportunity and it's a further shot, shooting off the pack is my favorite.

SITKA Pre Season Savings

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mallardman1911
Back