Bipod or what?

canvsbk

Do you have a bipod on your elk rifle? Trigger stick, shooting stix - shoot of your back pack or what?

I used to carry those stoney point shooting sticks but hardly ever used them and lost them 2 years in a row- once they slid out of my pack and the other time I stuck them in the ground and forgot about it. Now I just used my pack for far shots or shoot seated when less than 200 yds.

I prefer to have a bipod, Harris non pivot 9-13. If i need to clear sage, brush, etc I prop up on a pack, toes, the debris itself. It adds some weight but they offer a dramatic amount of accuracy for little investment. Sure some rifles react to pressure on the forend, test it.

I bought one Atlas bipod and switch it between all my rifles as I use them, simply because they are too pricey to put on all of them.

The way I look at it, if the bipod works for the current shot then use it. If not, well than anyone should be able to make a 300yd and under shot with a backpack/tree/truck hood. If you can't do that then go shoot your rifle more and learn the basics.:D

They do add extra weight but I love my Harris bipod. As mentioned, they don't work in every situation but I personally love them. If I can get prone with the bipod, I am super confident of making a good shot.

They are a pain if you use horses as you have to take them off to get them in a scabbard. I am in the process of hopefully getting a scabbard made that will allow a bipod on the rifle.

Harris Bi-Pod.
I've been using a 9-13 for decades. Last year I picked up one that goes to 25".
Have not shot anything but squirrels with it yet, but It will be on my deer rifle this fall.

I find shooting sticks much more useful in where I've hunted elk. If I can get low enough to use a 9-13" bipod, I go prone and may use my pack as a rest. For sitting I use the sticks as I find I can get them set up faster/easier, especially on side slopes, than a bipod. FWIW...

I'd really like a set that can also double as a hiking pole, but haven't went that route yet...

Shooting sticks or my pack. I just don't care to have one of them on my rifle. mtmuley

I use my pack 90% of the time. If I need to make a long shot standing, I use my spotting scope tripod which I almost always have with me. If I know I'm sitting a spot where a long standing shot will be required, I mount The Claw on my tripod and have the rifle set up the entire time.

I use a knock off of a bog pod, wish I would have went ahead and bought the bog pod now because is is so versatile, you can use it as a walking staff and also put your spotter on it. mine does not allow the head to come off and put on the spotter or binos on for those long sits. but, it works great and maybe some day I will take the dive for the bog.

Mostly shoot off of limbs or stumps. Never had a problem.

One of my orxy hunts in the desert, the official guided asked me to find a stick or branch to shoot off of. Nothing there, I missed a 300 yard shot offhand.

I had a pair of shooting stiks, back in the truck. Did not miss the next shot. Do not normally use them, but were essential on this hunt.

I use this 23" version. I started using a bipod when shooting coyotes back in the mid-80's. I would not ever hunt without one, unless weight was a paramount issue, which like some here, I shoot off the frame of my backpack.

I also will not shoot uphill with a bipod. A pack works much better and a good tree or rock will work even better than a pack on an uphill shot.

If you practice enough with a bipod, it will be as solid as shooting from a bench. A few tips I use when shooting with a bipod.

The bipod is going to help slow some of the recoil, so even on my .300Win Mag, I don't have my left hand one the fore end of the stock. I let the bipod stabilize the front end of the rifle. I use my left hand to help stabilize the rear of the rifle. I do it something like this (wish I had a picture).

When I sit down, I sit on my butt, not on my knees. I then pull my legs close to me, so my knees are propped up and each side of the rifle.

I put my right elbow on my right knee. Being right handed, it is natural to place the right hand around the stock and into the trigger guard.

The steadiness then comes from the left hand. I take my left elbow and place it on my left knee. I then reach under the rifle with my left hand and grab my right forearm, just up from the wrist.

Now, you have complete horizontal stability as your right hand is on the stock and your left hand is on your right wrist. You can lock that down almost as if you are in a shooting vice.

Since the front of the rifle is rested on the bipod, you have complete vertical stability by just lowering or raising your left wrist, since it is under the butt end of the stock.

It takes a few times to get used to it, but once you do it, you will be amazed at how stable that position is. Having your left hand up on the fore end of the rifle is pretty much a waste when using a bipod. That is what you have a bipod for.

To take off on Fin's suggestion, if you're a right handed shooter and using sticks from kneeling, put your left knee on the ground. Your right knee is then about the perfect height to rest your right elbow on.

My biggest hurdle with a bipod had been when shooting across a side hill. It's a bit of a pain and takes too long, IMO, to set the bipod legs at varying heights. In this instance sticks, for me at least, are much quicker.

That one or their 'pivot' model appears to be a much better mousetrap than the one I used.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheyenneKennedy
Back