Bipod or shooting sticks

mdunc8

Before moving to Montana I hadn't done much spot and stalk or open country hunting. I also had never shot at an animal over 65 yards. Therefore, I had no use for a bipod or sticks. I'm getting ready to load up on gear for next year and I'm debating on which setup to go with. I'm leaning towards sticks since they come in handy for standing or kneeling shots, but thought I'd get some input for those more experienced.

I've been using a bipod for the last fifteen years. Makes me much better, and I need all the help I can get. Have never been able to get the and of shooting sticks, but probably have not given them enough of a chance.

I've used both...and like both, each having pro's and cons.

I like the stability of a bi-pod over the sticks, but I like the sticks because they are more versital, plus they allow you to shoot over tall grass. I dont necessarily like the weight of a bipod hanging on my rifle, but you can get used to that. If you go with a bi-pod, get the tallest one you can, I bought some of the shorter ones and mostly they just sit at home.

I also just use my pack for a rest a lot of the time.

Cant go wrong with either...IMO.

I've never tried either. Having hunted with Fin and seeing his bipod they look nice. It would definitely take some getting used to. I'm just a backpack guy myself. I feel really comfortable using it. It does have it's limitations in high grass but being an elk and deer guy I don't find too many of them in "high grass areas" were I hunt. I suck at off hand shots so almost every shot I take is either from my pack or the branch of a tree.

When I hunt the plains you cant beat a good bipod. Backpacking in the mountains I find there is enough structures to shoot off with my backpack. My wife did use a monopod to shoot standing up this year, the grass was crazy tall. Sitiuations call for different answers.

bog-pod, I use it for my spotting scope and also doubles as shooting sticks....... I use to carry around a harris bi-pod, there bulky and extra weight thats not needed.......IMO

Where are you hunting, and how far do you want to shoot?

I use a bipod, shooting sticks, a backpack, or nothing, depending on the above answers.

If you don't have the above hardware and want to go shooting sometime and try some options out, let me know. I live pretty close and will take you out if you like.

I'm a shooting sticks kind of guy. I don't like the extra weight on the rifle. With that said I prefer shooting prone over my pack if I have the opportunity.

I have tried the sticks and bipod... They both sit in my garage now. The bipod was a bulky attachment, didn't like the weight - The sticks were decent enough to carry, though flipping them out seemed too much movement for my liking.
Now, I simply use my pack, limb or other natural feature to steady my shot. I have been frustrated when I could have really used my sticks and didn't have them...

I do not shoot too far though - Don't think I have exceeded 250yrds in my entire hunting life... so, I certainly understand the use for those long distance questionable shots - each know their own skill level.

If I was to choose - I would say sticks work best for me. They are light, out of the way packed, and having the time to fiddle with them, they work better than not having them.

I really like the stoney point shooting sticks.

For me, they're just so easy to use, and weigh a lot less than a bipod. I started with them because they're so much cheaper than a good bipod, and now that I'm used to them I don't really see any reason to try a bipod for hunting.

It's also nice when you move in to the timber just folding the sticks up and stuffing them in a pocket, and a lot easier to shoot your rifle offhand without the bipod hanging off.

I really like the stoney point shooting sticks.

For me, they're just so easy to use, and weigh a lot less than a bipod. I started with them because they're so much cheaper than a good bipod, and now that I'm used to them I don't really see any reason to try a bipod for hunting.

It's also nice when you move in to the timber just folding the sticks up and stuffing them in a pocket, and a lot easier to shoot your rifle offhand without the bipod hanging off.

So you like the shorter 3 ft ones, or do you have the tall ones for shooting in a standing position?

I tried the snipe-pod but even those were a bit clumsy and I can't take the extra weight of the bi-pod. I settled on the bog-pod tripod. I've only used it a few times but I really like how steady it is. Don't think I;'ll ever get anything else

So you like the shorter 3 ft ones, or do you have the tall ones for shooting in a standing position?

I just use the shorter ones. I don't see why you'd ever have the need to shoot standing up where I hunt, unless it was a quick offhand close shot. Which actually 2 of my 3 kills this year were.

If I were gonna buy another set though I think I'd get the 'magnum' ones. They're a little stouter and I gotta imagine just a bit steadier.

Don't attach anything to my rifle(s)...except good glass...I have used bi pod shooting sticks---helped me get my best Elk and Muley,each at over 300 yds...I have used tri-pods, the standard, in Africa, many times...they also even make a good rest in low grass when you can sit, use one leg and rest elbows on knees...for a say 300yds or so on shot on PG....none are much help when DG charge!....

In short grass or rocks, a bipod all day, they are just more solid but get the kind that has the canting pivot. A pair of sticks are faster to adjust for height changes and you can tilt or rock them to change height. Also the sticks are nice because they are not on the gun while hiking. Pros and cons for both like other said. Get both!

Have to agree with Schmalts on this one. I use both depending on the situation. I just have alot more confidence in my shooting if I have a solid rest from a bipod or sticks.

I picked up a pair of these www.bipodshootingsticks.com at a gunshow a few years back and they are great once you get used to them. And then there is always just using the pack. My rifles have more scratches from rocks or logs than anything else though. Lol

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back