Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

BigFin Paying it Forward

406LIFE

As a Hunter Education instructor we see a lot of kids come through, almost always with a parent who hunts themselves. I like seeing the future of hunting staying in the family. Those students have a mentor who will introduce them to their traditions in hunting. Most of us have a story familiar like this.

Then there are stories that stop you immediately. This year I had a single mother bring in her young son to my class, knowing nothing more than "this is where you start" hunting. He wanted to hunt, she was going to help, even though neither had any knowledge of where or what to do. He was quiet but attentive throughout the class and you could see mom was trying to take it all in. They graduated and then found me via social media. Sometimes you are presented with a situation that you know you just have to help out; this was that moment for me.

I reached out to BigFin and explained the situation to him. My question was if he knew how we might be able to start them with a rifle. He got back to me quickly and said to standby. While he was prepping for his trip to BC, he took the time to find a Howa .270 with a Leupold scope from his gun cabinet. His generosity and eagerness to help was frankly overwhelming. Anyone in the industry knows guys get hit up for stuff all the time, but to make something like this happen shows BigFin's character as well as his commitment to growing new hunters.

I feel privileged to be the middle man to watch this happen. Saying "Thank You" feels inadequate compared to the gesture, but Thank You, Randy. And thanks to Howa and Leupold, as well for investing in hunting's future.

20191017_162327.jpg20191017_161806.jpg20191017_161522.jpg

Fantastic read. I thank you for posting this. Thank you for helping future generations enjoy and start in this great pastime. And for helping educate his mother into the sport so she may better understand it.
And with total respect, Thank you Randy for helping in this situation. Your generosity is commended and envied. You have, and do, so much for us as hunters especially with public lands. Thank you greatly.

Love reading stuff like this. Huge props to all involved.

Man, I love to read good news like this!

One thing that sustains and promotes the future of public land hunting: recruitment. Helping newbs get started is essential. Big thanks to the big heart of Big Fin and to that awesome Mom. Good luck, good hunting to that young man.

That Mom deserves credit for doing right by her kid! Not knocking anything else that happened, which is all off the charts, but she knew she had to get something going for him and took the lead step. She's a class act.
Didn't she just, what a great mother, doing her best on her own as a single parent, that must be tough.
To seek 406LIFE out through social media (it does have it's positives on occasion) shows determination and the seed has been sown, a future hunter and maybe his mother to, all through 406LIFE and the modest generosity of Randy.
Cheers
Richard

Everything about this is cool. 406 and Big Fin, you’re doing good work. Thank you.

406, did the kid ever say what drew him to hunting? I’m always curious about kids who don’t grow up with it but still want to do it.

How cool is that ! Good for the mother, son, Big Fin, and 406life--- :love:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back