Big Bull In My Future?

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
EDIT: With the Montana deadline approaching next month, thought I would link this Montana elk hunt story to where it can be watched for free on our YouTube channel.

https://youtu.be/0f5mSzlFkHk

IMG_4709.JPG

Original Story:

Packing all my gear, bringing extra rifles, tent for the camera guys, enough food for the entire community, and everything else needed for another On Your Own Adventure.

On this one, we are headed to the hills for a Montana elk and deer hunt. We being me, Lawnboy, and those two camera guys, Troy and Loren.

Season opens on Sunday morning. I am headed out tomorrow, to start scouting and get camp set up. Why am I always the one in charge of setting up camp?

My hope is to find a good bull, camp out on him, and shoot him opening morning. Reality is that I will find a small bull, many other hunters, and will show up opening morning with a hunter on every visible ridge, and all the elk chased down to the private. Oh well, it is elk hunting, and what we live for here in Montana.

Lawnboy doesn't hunt on Sundays, so I will probably wait until Monday to pull the trigger. Would hate to have the solo packing job on Sunday, when if I waited a day, could have Lawnboy doing all the work.

He is suspicious of my motives, as last year when we filmed, he warned me he had a very important day, and could not be around on Friday. What did he do? Waited and shot a bull at last light on Thursday, so I would have to follow through on my promise to get the elk out the next day. Way I see it, he owes me, and I intend to call in a few chips.

This is always a fun hunt. Always lots of people in the woods, but it is the time of year to go fill the freezer, and with any luck, score on a nice bull. Have been too busy filming this fall to do any archery elk hunting here, so I am itching to find a good bull.

Last time I was in this spot, cell coverage was available on the highest knobs, so I will climb each day to provide the best updates I can.

Been doing a ton of research via the phone, maps, and the web. Feel like the pressure is on to make good on the tag, and this year has been the year of big bull rumors in Montana. I suspect I find them to be just that - rumors.

Wish us luck. If nothing else, I am sure Lawnboy will find a good deer. If we can't find a bull or a buck in a week, we have no business producing a hunting show. Ooops, with a comment like that, I just set us up for failure.

Good luck Big Fin. I found my bull but I'm waiting to the second week of gun. If he's still alive then hopefully I get a shot at him. May the trees be scarce and the elk be plentiful.

My hope is to find a good bull, camp out on him, and shoot him opening morning. Reality is that I will find a small bull, many other hunters, and will show up opening morning with a hunter on every visible ridge, and all the elk chased down to the private. Oh well, it is elk hunting, and what we live for here in Montana.

I hope you fair better than I.

Last Thursday night, Friday morning AND Friday night I sat on 'My Bull".

Sometime between 6:00pm Friday night and shooting light Saturday morning he climbed 2000ft up and 2 miles away to be shot almost from the road Saturday morning. I was just lucky enough to have the remainder of the herd come back down into my canyon:rolleyes:

You'll kill Fin, you'll kill.

Best of success and certainly look forward to the stories behind this annual event! Besides - I need another teaser video of Montana elk / deer hunts to watch.

Find some wood to knock on for that last comment:
Big Fin said:
If we can't find a bull or a buck in a week, we have no business producing a hunting show. Ooops, with a comment like that, I just set us up for failure.
Nice wood stock for a favorite rifle would be my suggestion... :D

Best of success guys! Stay safe.

Good luck to the OYOA crew, can't wait to watch this one play out!

Good luck fin, go big or go nuttin

That's the plan. Which is why nuttin is the "odds on favorite" at this point. Been told that if I shoot something less than 330, I am a puss. Anyone ever shoot a 330+ raghorn? :eek:

On the Road again!

I won't let Randy shoot anything smaller than this guy.

dreambull.jpg

He has his work cut out for him! Looking forward to hitting the road tomorrow and getting back in the field with the crew.

Lawnboy on the other hand, my expectations for him is to shoot anything bigger than this guy.
muledeer.jpg

I'm trying to get one up on him before we get to camp...not sure if I am prepared for another week at camp with Mr. lawnboy. Will be a fun time.

Well It looks like I'm in for another fun week with that Homo Troy the cameraman;) I'm glad I have a seperate tent. He'll be pressuring me to shoot some forkhorn so he can get back home to the ol lady. It's not happening buddy. Should be a fun week and new country for me.:D

Sorry for the lack of updates. No coverage around here.

Has rained about an inch in the last 24 hours, and it is still coming down. A mess of the greatest proportions. Anyone who has fought the gumbo of Eastern MT, WY, or CO, or the western Dakotas, knows what I am dealing with.

In two days of scouting, I have not seen an elk. Two tracks, but no elk. Really couldn't see very far in the rain this morning.

Got my ATV stuck in a creek crossing. Camera guys threw me a strap and towed me back to shore. And to think this road is open to vehicles.

Lawnboy was supposed to be here two days ago, but I think his crew got deported back to Juarez, so he might not get even get here. Supposed to rain like this until Wednesday, so Lawnboy might need a boat to get here.

A lot of guys are pushing things pretty hard to get into these places for the opener tomorrow. Wonder how some of them are going to get out, if this rain keeps up like they forecast.

Tried to go into another spot that is rumored to be hard to get to. In these road conditions, it is impossible to get to, so I crossed that off the list and will just work the areas I can get to from camp, via my ATV.

Not looking good at this point, but until the season is over, there is still hope.

Will try to post, as things happen, but don't reckon you guys want to read weather reports, but rather would like to hear about the elk that supposedly live here. Hope to at least see one tomorrow. Tough hiking these hills and covering this much ground while wearing rain gear.

More tomorrow.

Sounds like a tough break.
Do you have time at the end of the season to go back if it doesn't work out this week?

Back