Caribou Gear

Best scope for under $200 ??

Rooster52

What is your choice for rifle scope under $200 ?
Leupold VXI
Redfield
Vortex Diamondback
Burris
Nikon Prostaff

??

I've had a Redfield 4x32 since 1980, and it's still hunting hard to this day. I'd go with the Leupold though, extremely happy with the 3x9x40 on my 7mm/08. My current project rifle is going to be sporting a VX1 2x7x33, as soon as the paycheck can out pace the holiday demands.

I have heard good things about the new Redfields and they are owned by Leupold now. Burris has always been a great scope for me, but mine are older ones. It looks to me like a toss-up on that list.

Go to a store and look at them side by side looking at a dark corner of the store. You will figure it out pretty quickly.

I have Leupold VX1 on my .300. I have friends who have this scope on .308's and .338's. I ride horses with my rifle and use it a lot. Never seen or heard any issues with this scope. For the price, I think this scope is very clear and performs well in low light. Leupold also has a good warranty.

I've bought Leupold's at gun shows and off ebay a couple of times for less than 200.

I tend to stay with fixed power (4X) - so it's easy to find decent prices. You can always send in to Leupold if there is an issue with the scope.

I have a couple of the Burris and a few Nikon's and they have all been/are very nice.

I have both a newer redfield and VX2, both are nice but the Leopold is quite a bit brighter for me. PM Schmaltz on here, he made me a great deal on the Leopold.

You probably won't like this answer it's the truth. It doesn't really matter...it's under $200.00 and you'll get what you pay for in that price point. No matter which one you choose it won't be a top quality scope, it just won't.

They may not be top quality but $200 range in the scope is good enough. My first rifle scope was a $29 4x Tasco that I hunted in Wyoming with and took a mule deer and antelope my first year out there. Today's scopes are much better than that Tasco

Personally,anything under $500 I'd go with Leupold these days.
I almost got a VX3 3x9x40 for$300,til I found a Zeiss for a bit more and could afford it.Still 1/2 price.
Lots of excellent used Leupolds out there too.

I have a Redfield Revolution 3x9x40 on a 35 Whelen, love it. Is it as bright as my VX-2? No, but it isn't far off. It holds its zero and has great eye relief. Also, it is made in America and backed by Leupold's lifetime warranty. If I had less than $200 to spend I wouldn't consider anything else. What others have said is true, "you get what you pay for", but there are some "low end" manufacturers out there that do it better than others.

Back