Best scope for under $200 ??

I'm always on the lookout for older used Leupold scopes, they're the only ones worth buying used because of their excellent warranty/Customer service record. They do tend to hold their value better than others, other than the European items. But the German glass is seldom up for sale.

Athlon Optics is a new company based in Lenexa, Kansas. Their Talos line of scopes is in that price range with a variety of reticles and/or illuminated reticle. Lifetime warranty.

http://athlonoptics.com/product-category/riflescopes/talos-riflescopes/

www.facebook.com/athlonoptics/

I am pro staff with them. Currently I am using their Argos 8x42 and Ares 10x42 binoculars and the Ares 15-45x65 ED spotting scope. The optics are awesome. That spotting scope is a real dream for me to carry at about 2 3/4 pounds. I am getting ready to scope a new rifle(Remington 700 Tactical in .308) and haven't decided on a scope yet, but will be in the Talos line.

Last edited:
The problems I have had with scopes have been with the elevation / windage adjustments rather than the optics (maybe because of my old eyes). In my experience, Redfields seem to hold up well.

Redfield is Leupold's value brand, and as far as I know is made by Leupold or to their specs. IMO you are getting a Leupold, but trading the different brand name for a few bucks.

WHats not to like?

The best 200 dollar scope is a used one that cost more when new. Preferably one with a lifetime warranty. mtmuley

Probably Redfield Revolution.

I just picked up a Burris 3-9x40 C4 for $109. (Burris's version of the Leupold CDS). We'll see how it works.

I just saw some deals from Midway? Leupold VX2 3x9x40 for $299? They even had the mz scopes on sale.
I'm replacing my Nikon BDC this year with a Leupold mz scope

Reality check folks.
If you pay $200 or less for a scope,get an off brand or such,your probably wasting your $ .You should just save a little $ and get quality optics.You do get what you pay for. Sometimes.

I have had great Bushnells,but they are not a Zeiss or a Leupold.
I would put a used Leupold or newer Redfield on my rifle before something you will be replacing because of failure,lack of light etc..
Same with Binos.

I just got a Minox zv-3 3-9x40 for $99 which originally retailed around $250 and it looks like a winner. It will be mounted to a Ruger 10/22 so it will never be tested against heavy recoil or much adjustment. I want to say it is the old Zeiss Conquest scope under a different name but I could be mistaken. At any rate, it looks good enough for a budget rifle or 22

Last edited:
I just saw some deals from Midway? Leupold VX2 3x9x40 for $299? They even had the mz scopes on sale.
I'm replacing my Nikon BDC this year with a Leupold mz scope

Reality check folks.
If you pay $200 or less for a scope,get an off brand or such,your probably wasting your $ .You should just save a little $ and get quality optics.You do get what you pay for. Sometimes.

I have had great Bushnells,but they are not a Zeiss or a Leupold.
I would put a used Leupold or newer Redfield on my rifle before something you will be replacing because of failure,lack of light etc..
Same with Binos.

I've got three FFII's and I can't kill them. Not for lack of trying..

Beat up Leupolds get passed over at garage sales sometimes. Leupold will freshen them up, usually at no charge. mtmuley

I have a vortex crossfire as well I shoot black powder usually but it bought one for my .270 I shot it one at the range once. I was very impressed with the clarity.

I've since upgraded most of my glass to Zeiss, Swaro, and Meopta, but I've had plenty of success with VX-1 and VX-2 Leupolds. I just killed a great whitetail buck with my muzzleloader that is topped with a Redfield Revolution 3-9x40. It was a 240 yard shot on a cloudy day, about 20 minutes before last light. The scope did the job just fine.

Sure there are better optics out there, but for a basic scope that will help kill things I'd buy a Leupold or Redfield any day.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back