Best Camp Coffee Maker?!?!

MKotur325

Ok Guys.

I have to admit. I am a fan of Premium Coffee... Have played with several different methods for making coffee at home. Turkish, Moka Pot, Espresso Makers, Aeropress, French Presses... Most of what I do at home is with an Aeropress. I enjoy it, and have used it sparingly for camping. Its lots of parts, fairly bulky, and a bit inconsistent if you don't bring a good thermometer for a hunting camp... Looking for a better option for Concentrated Coffee or Espresso for camping.

Looking for something I can use with as few parts as possible, hopefully uses less grounds than the Aeropress, hopefully inexpensive, and can be made over a fire or over a gas burner.

Kinda leaning toward swapping for a Moka pot, but any insight is appreciated.:D

We need to hunt together.

I like the moka pot if you have a base camp because they are very durable. I never had much interest in them until we got an aupair from Italy and she brought one for me. I'm a big fan, I've been messing with roasts and ground size to find the perfect comb and I think I am about there. The downside for me is the temp required for the Moka pot, I prefer a lower brewing temperature so the coffee isn't so bitter.

We need to hunt together.

I like the moka pot if you have a base camp because they are very durable. I never had much interest in them until we got an aupair from Italy and she brought one for me. I'm a big fan, I've been messing with roasts and ground size to find the perfect comb and I think I am about there. The downside for me is the temp required for the Moka pot, I prefer a lower brewing temperature so the coffee isn't so bitter.

Most of what I do is base camp ish. The thing thats appealing to me about the Moka pot is you only really have a few pieces... As far as the lower brew temp I AGREE. I cannot stand the flavor of burnt coffee...

What sort of grind size do you use? Most of what I've done with them is with super fine espresso stuff like I use for the Aeropress...

Come on Dink...

I would have expected Colorado's Sexiest Elk Hunter to lounge in Camp in the mornings with a Double No Fat Extra Hot Extra Foam Soy Peppermint Mocha with Whipped Cream. :D Talk about extremes... Folgers Crystals?!?! Do they even call that Coffee, or is it Coffee Flavored Beverage?

as fancy as I get is starbucks instant.Taste pretty darn good to us poor folk though

I don't drink coffee very often, and since I don't need to have it, I will not tolerate bad coffee. I don't know anything about your fancy coffee makers, but maybe I can give you a few ideas. I basically learned about coffee while living beyond the edge of the civilization in central America. The treated water tasted so bad (of chorine or iodine) that it was difficult to drink without some kind of flavor. The only readily available flavoring was coffee.

In central America, they make excellent coffee with nothing more than a cloth filter. Some just use a clean rag from of an old t-shirt, but cheese cloth would work if you mentally interject the flavor of old clothes. I have found that a thin polyester beanie does an excellent job. If you don't have a discerning taste (Dink) you could just use your dirty undies.
Anyway, I've seen two methods. One is to dump the water and coffee together and heat it up just short of boiling, then use the rag to filter as you pour into a cup.
The other method is basically just a redneck French press. Wrap the grounds in the cloth and let it soak in hot water for about 5 minutes then pull the rag and squeeze any liquid back into the pot.

The only other way I've ever made coffee is with the GSI mini express.
The mini express can make a very bold brew and it is very efficient with your coffee grounds. It only takes about a tablespoon of grounds to make a cup. It does best with low heat. You need patience to make a good espresso because it just sits there doing nothing and you'll be tempted to turn up the heat. DON'T! If you use too much heat it comes out weak and on the bitter side. It is great if you like to add things to your coffee, i.e. cappuccino, etc. The "straight black" purists may not like the idea of diluting the espresso to get the flavor they're used to.

Ben Lamb has a French coffee press.

Danged straight. And I love it. Makes a great cup of coffee at home or in a cabin or trailer.

For base camps, etc, I use an old aluminum percolator. Camp coffee has to have grounds, dirt and a little bit of pine twig in it to actually be camp coffee.

Signed,

A guy who owned a coffee house for 3 years.

Folgers or starbucks instant for me...I try not to drink coffee at camp in the mornings, usually just at night during the campfire. Coffee makes my system too active too early and I hate having to find a tree right after first light.

Thanks for posting the link. I am just guessing we will be getting one of those for our camp cook. The rest of us have been trying to pick up something to upgrade his kitchen the last couple of years and I think this will fit the bill.

Just remember that when you look at the sizes on there... you can basically read Shots instead of cups. A 3 Cup Moka Pot DOES NOT MAKE 3 Cups of Coffee. It make about 1. If you want to get one for everyone in camp. The 12 cup should make enough potent Coffee for 4-6 people.

Thanks. Had already decided on the 12 cup as 4-6 guys are what we usually have in camp.

Just remember that when you look at the sizes on there... you can basically read Shots instead of cups. A 3 Cup Moka Pot DOES NOT MAKE 3 Cups of Coffee. It make about 1. If you want to get one for everyone in camp. The 12 cup should make enough potent Coffee for 4-6 people.

I'm a sucker for good coffee, but some Swiss Miss in the thermos before bed and I'm ready to rock n roll in the am. We've also been known to keep a case of frappacino in camp...:eek:

Back