best antelope gun?

I have used a Browning 243 for years but this year it will be my new browning 270WSM just because I have never took any game with it so far.

For years myself and 2 buddies killed a semi trailer load of antelope with .220 Swift, and .22/250 rifles. That was before Barnes made bullets like they do.

What do you guys recommend as a decent antelope gun that will get the job done without being overkill?

Define overkill, too much gun, availability/cost of ammo?

For simplicity and ammo I'd look at a 243, 25-06, 260 Rem (in that order).

Upside versatility and style points: 257 Weatherby

Classy: 264 Winchester in a Pre64 M70

Get it done all day every day: 270 WCF

Wildcat: 25-06AI, 6.5 SAUM 4s (Hornady brass available this summer)

I think the old saying still applies here - shoot what you shoot best. I've killed several freezers worth of antelope with my trusty 30.06 - mostly with 165 gr bullets. I'm generally a one-gun kind of guy - it's worked on everything from antelope to moose. However, between me and me kids we've also used a .243, a .270, and a 25.06 to kill a bunch. The only (slight) negative is that these smaller calibers can have a problem with wind drift - and the wind is always blowing where we hunt pronghorn on the high prairies of Wyoming.

Ahhh, that reminds me of my very windy hometown, Great Falls, MT. The joke when I was growing up was that one day the wind quit blowing....and everyone fell over. :)

Don't know what the best caliber is, but my .270wsm has worked great for me. Taken antelope from 50-500 yards with it.

My Remington Sendero in 25.06 has been smacking them for years,....up until I stopped successfully drawing tags. I love everything about this rifle.

Every antelope I've killed has been with my Savage lightweight hunter in 260, nice light weight rifle, very manageable recoil ...................... BTW my lifetime total on antelope is 'one' so you can toss my opinion if you want, but I do really like my 260.:D

It doesn't take much to kill an antelope. I try to avoid high velocities and frangible bullets, because there isn't a hell of a lot meat on a pronghorn to begin with.

An old friend and boss of mine killed piles of antelope with a .220 Swift.

Since no one has mentioned it yet..... I'd have to say the .25-06 is probably ideal. Although you could go .257 Roberts if you want to be a little more unique and have similar ballistics. 100 grain Barnes TTSX should be ideal.

I don't know about best and never believed in overkill but what I have used over the years has been 243, 270 wcf, 270 wsm, 7mm rem mag. and even a 30-30. Many good choices out there.

Shoot what you like, feel comfortable and confident with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back