Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

best antelope gun?

Just get a 30-06 and call it a day, kills everything.

Antelope hunting generally means wind. I killed many goats with a .243 but one windy day I had a 12-16" drift at a moderate range.The 25.06 is fast and flat and carries better.Antelope dont take any bullet well,but you have to get the bullet there.

I've killed them with:

.222 Rem
.243 Win
.257 Weatherby Mag
.270 Win
.270 WSM
7mm-.08
.308 Win
.300 Win Mag

125 grain Magnus Stingers
125 grain Magnus Buzzcuts

That gives a pretty wide range of what you might choose from. They are not really picky as to what kills them. Odds are that whatever you use to hunt other critters will be just fine with antelope. Save your money and hunt with what you have.

Unless, of course, you have been given permission by your spouse to purchase a new rifle. Then by all means, make sure you buy one. No matter the caliber, just take advantage of the moment.

So, I don't have to feel bad about shooting dad's old 30-06 if I draw, then??

Wouldn't even have to think about it, a good ole 30-06 handles about anything. That's all my brother has ever used on pronghorn.

Draw your tag and kill a pronghorn with dad's rifle would be hard to beat.

The 30.06 worked for me!

The antelope won't worry about whether you're using dad's old gun or not. In fact I feel quite comfortable saying they'll hate your choice either way.

Pick One:
250/3000
257 Roberts
25/06
6.5 Creedmore
6.5x55

v
7mm/08** <---
^

7x57
300 Savage
30/06
: Go hunting (and not a Mag in the bunch)

Last edited:
Not that piling on here is going to add a whole lot to the conversation, but here are my thoughts.

When I look at a round for antelope, stopping power is obviously not an issue, but I do think speed is. Alot of the terrain you hunt them in is pretty flat and I have found myself having trouble getting a good range because often the goat is barely above the sage. Even taking several ranges with the laser, I can get different readings each time that could be plus or minus 50yds. Having a flat shooting rifle gives you some "fudge factor" as your bullet is not dropping as dramatically, and if you are off 50-75 yds either way, it should have much of an impact.

I am not much for .22 caliber anything for big game, but .243-7mm seems like a pretty common sweet spot in this thread. I have killed them with: 270 Win, 7mm Rem Mag, and 30-06. All with the same bullet I was hunting deer with, but if I was going to buy a dedicated antelope gun it would probably be a 25-06 (with factory ammo) or a 26 Nosler (handloading).

From what I've read, I'm Goin with the 25-06. In looking seems like the savage 11/111 is the best deal. You can get the rifle and 3x9 nikon for $550 at bass pro. Is 3x9 enough power or would you step it up?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back