Caribou Gear Tarp

best antelope gun?

Antelope are not hard to kill. Anything from 243 Win /6mm Rem. through any of the 1/4 bores 6.5 or 279. Anything much over that is a waste. Flat and fast is more important than hitting hard. My personal favorite is a 6mm Rem. Sako and a Weatherby 257 WM.

.257 bullets are poor at slipping wind, no secret there. Won't matter much at modest ranges. You could also just shoot up $500 of components for your current rifle in field conditions and you'll be a wind doping champ compared to most hunters.

1x power per 100 yards of intended shooting distance is sufficient for my needs. Lower power and higher FOV can be really handy for sorting your target in a herd of swirling antelope. Any scope that holds zero and tracks well is worth infinitely more than a few more or less X's (or glass quality).

I've used 22-250 on antelope before and it was on the light side for what I was trying to do... I've kind of standardized on using my 7mm Rem Mag for everything in the lower 48 (including moose). I've yet to pull an antelope tag since I got rid of my 22-250, so I don't have carnal knowledge of how much damage the 7Mag does once an antelope is on the ground!

I've used 22-250 on antelope before and it was on the light side for what I was trying to do... I've kind of standardized on using my 7mm Rem Mag for everything in the lower 48 (including moose). I've yet to pull an antelope tag since I got rid of my 22-250, so I don't have carnal knowledge of how much damage the 7Mag does once an antelope is on the ground!

It doesn't do anything once it is on the ground! I use a 139-grain Interlock at 3100 fps in my 7 mag and it does not do any more damage than any other rifle. All rifles damage game if you hit bone.

It doesn't do anything once it is on the ground! I use a 139-grain Interlock at 3100 fps in my 7 mag and it does not do any more damage than any other rifle. All rifles damage game if you hit bone.
My grandpa used to say "You won't ruin any meat if you don't shoot em where the meat is". mtmuley

I think too many forget the old simple wisdoms (common sense):
~ Don't hunt 'em where they ain't.
~ Can't kill 'em if ya ain't out there.
~ Dead is Dead, period.
~ Shoot well, think less
~ Beware of the man who only hunts with one rifle.
~ Redheads beat Blondes for "Don't ask, Don't Tell"
~ Practice, Practice, Practice....and then have a plausible wild ass excuse ready....involving a Redhead, when ya miss.

I'm a fan of my Savage LRH 6.5x284 with 140gr Berger Hybrids

3 elk, 4 deer, & 3 antelope since I bought it 3 years ago...

.257 bullets are poor at slipping wind, no secret there. Won't matter much at modest ranges. You could also just shoot up $500 of components for your current rifle in field conditions and you'll be a wind doping champ compared to most hunters.

1x power per 100 yards of intended shooting distance is sufficient for my needs. Lower power and higher FOV can be really handy for sorting your target in a herd of swirling antelope. Any scope that holds zero and tracks well is worth infinitely more than a few more or less X's (or glass quality).
Agreed.

If you just have to have a new rifle here'd be my picks: factory ammo 243 and a distant second 6.5 Creedmore. Handload: 260 Rem and/or 243. Reason I put the Creed in the factory ammo category is that I've read of folks having stupid good results with the Hornady 140gr Amax ammo in that chambering.

Happy I had to look that word up and it wasn't/isn't part of my vernacular. Just sayin'.

Honestly, there is no "best" antelope rifle. Use what works best for you, no matter the cartridge. mtmuley

The best Antelope rifle is one that your comfortable carrying all day. It has to be accurate at what ever distance your comfortable shooting at. The sights should meet your needs for your eye sight. The caliber should be common so if you need to buy a box of ammo due to losing or misplacing yours is possible.
That in my opinion is the perfect Antelope rifle but then again that could be the perfect Deer or Elk rifle to :D
Dan

Ditto Dan O and mtmuley! Whatever you are comfortable carrying all day and what ever gun you shoot well. If there is a well placed shot, it doesn't matter the caliber. The goat is most likely going down! I've used .257 Ackley Improved, I've used a .280, I've used a 6mm. Just depends what I feel like shooting at that time and what I have shells loaded for.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back