MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

best antelope gun?

Whatever gun u feel comfortable shooting & have confidence in ! Caliber doesnt matter much for antelope.

I just grab one from my safe without too much thought and seem to do just fine. It feels like they're all sitting there begging to go on my annual antelope hunt so I just grab the one that hasn't gotten to hunt in awhile. Very scientific indeed.

I actually drew an antelope tag in New Mexico this year. My go to gun is a .338 Browning A bolt. I think it is an overkill!. Pulling out a .243 I haven't shot in years!

I have a .260 Remington that was considered. But I have only bore sighted the rifle and promised to my daughter when and If she hunts again. Beautiful rifle! Won it at a Safari Club banquet.

Looks like from what you guys said I'll be looking into a 243 or 25 06. Since I've never been out for antelope, should I get heavier grain bullets or lighter? Sorry for all the questions just want to make sure I get what will work. Thanks.

The heavier bullets buck wind a bit better and give you better reliability. However, antelope are easy to kill and about anything will work. I always like the larger bullets for the caliber. In .243, I like 100-grain bullets and in the 25-06, I like 115-120-grain. The light bullets may look great because of starting velocity, but the heavier bullets will treat you better on long-distance shots.

Either of those calibers will do fine. Find a rifle that fits you the best and go for it.

I'm partial to my 7mm mag. Maybe not the best choice but with 120 gr Barnes it does the trick.
I second that!
If I could afford to have a different rifle for every animal I would probably go with a 25-06 but since I am a one rifle hunter I second the 7mm Mag.

Looks like from what you guys said I'll be looking into a 243 or 25 06. Since I've never been out for antelope, should I get heavier grain bullets or lighter? Sorry for all the questions just want to make sure I get what will work. Thanks.

I use Hornaday 117 grain & like them (25-06)

good luck to all
the dog

Do you already have a rifle that you use on deer? If you have a .308, 30-06 etc., you do not need a different rifle, unless you just want an excuse to buy one. Any reasonable caliber that shoots good at a distance will work.

I forgot to mention that there is no such thing as overkill. Dead is dead. Bigger calibers do not necessarily tear up more meat, either. Velocity and frangible bullets tear up meat, but then again, it doesn't matter if you shoot them in the lungs.

I think we can all agree that the best antelope rifle is a 270 WSM.

(This coming from a guy who has never had the chance to hunt antelope, yet) ;)

Pretty tough to argue with anything between .243-.284.

I think the .22 center fires and anything above the .284 are fine, but really not ideal for pronghorns.

Back