Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Best advice for accuracy?

JWP58

Banned
I just started shooting a bow about three weeks ago. I'm a long time hunter, firearms guru, but bows are foreign to me.

I would say Im consistently average right now. When I'm focused, the wind is perfect, and fresh (not fatigued) I can keep six arrows inside of the diameter of a large dinner plate (10"?) at 20yds. And I can usually keep my groups like that out to 30yds....40 plus is a different story...

But its very easy for me to have a flyer. I don't really know what causes this. Is it my anchor point moving? How a hold my release? Is it my bow? If it matters my flyers are ALWAYS to the right (I am right handed)..

So any advice? Is it just going to take me time to figure it out, or am I probably doing something fundamentally wrong? (I know its almost impossible to tell without actually watching me shoot)

Last edited:
My guess it's in your form somewhere. I suffer a flyer to the left and low sometimes as I drop my bow hand too soon. Two things I try to do and seem to help me with flyers: 1. try to keep the pin on the target until after the arrow hits and 2. let the release 'surprise' you. #1 one just makes me concentrate more, plus there's plenty of time to see where it hit later. #2 is easier with a very light trigger. If your release is adjustable, might want to consider lowering the pull.

Are you shooting a compound bow? If so I'd go down to the local archery shop and just ask questions, tell them your a beginner and would like some pointers. Ask them to tune your bow to make sure everything is as should be. Most places will let you shoot for a while and have someone watch you and give you pointers on your form and locate any issues with your bow.

Something is not going right if your shooting a compound bow and getting only 10" groups @ 20 yards. Its likely a combination your shooting form/consistency and issues with your bow setup/arrows.

Yes its a compound bow, PSE Stinger 3G shooting carbon arrows. I bought it at a good shop, was fitted, shot a lot of arrows, and was really shooting well.

Thinking back, when I bought my bow my accuracy was great (sighting it in a 20yds took minutes)....and I was indoors. Shooting outside, my groups open way up. Could be the wind (we have plenty lol), I have noticed its incredibly hard for me to hold steady when on target.

I guess I'll just go shoot some at the shop and see if the "pros" can detect whats going on. I have a feeling its my form, whether I'm dropping my bow hand to soon or something else.

Thanks fellas.

All good advice above, I will add that when I have a flyer to the right its usually me peeking.Tighten up those groups at 20 yards and the rest will take care of itself.

I agree that it sounds like a form issue. Could also be that you are still getting used to drawing the bow and so you fatigue quickly. Get a 10" stabilizer. It will help a great deal. I promise. Those little nubby ones suck.

My biggest problem tends to be when I grip the bow too tight. I do best when I hold the bow "loosely". The bow should sit in your hand.... no holding necessary (that's what the wrist strap ifs for). I f I do this it eliminates those flyers.

good luck to all
the dog

Accuracy is all about consistency with a bow, so ensuring your grip, anchor, follow through, etc are the same every time is key. All of the advice above is good stuff. Here are a couple other ideas that might help:

1. drop your draw weight and work on perfecting your form, and slowly build it back up over the summer.

2. draw as small of a aiming point as you can see, and use that to develop your accuracy. "Aim small, miss small" once you develop the accuracy you can star shooting at silhouettes where you have to pick a spot.

3. Kisser button. this will help you make your actor point more consistent

4. adjust your grip to reduce your torque and then use that grip every time. I like a grip that reduces the area my hand is in contact with the grip, this makes it much more difficult to torque the riser.
archery.jpg

5. Read this article on back tension, it will help create more consistency in your follow through. http://www.thearcher.com/coachCorner/tipDetails.cfm?tipId=7&type=general&email=No

Hope this helps.

Ross

I had a similar problem when the cable guard slipped a little and the fletching started grazing the cables. The amount of deflection would vary depending on the orientation of the fletchings.

I also agree on not "gripping" the bow, forgot to mention that previously. For me, once I draw I don't grip the bow as much as it's braced against my hand. The above pic is a good representation of how I hold my hand.

I just started shooting a bow about three weeks ago. I'm a long time hunter, firearms guru, but bows are foreign to me.

I would say Im consistently average right now. When I'm focused, the wind is perfect, and fresh (not fatigued) I can keep six arrows inside of the diameter of a large dinner plate (10"?) at 20yds. And I can usually keep my groups like that out to 30yds....40 plus is a different story...

But its very easy for me to have a flyer. I don't really know what causes this. Is it my anchor point moving? How a hold my release? Is it my bow? If it matters my flyers are ALWAYS to the right (I am right handed)..

So any advice? Is it just going to take me time to figure it out, or am I probably doing something fundamentally wrong? (I know its almost impossible to tell without actually watching me shoot)
IMO...if you are having flyers consistantly to the right there is a good chance when you are getting fatigued you are probably torqueing your bow.Lets say your bow it dialed in ...how long are your shooting scessions? Fo me I can not shoot more than 15 min due to some serious elbow and nerve issues in my left arm. If you are new to shooting your muscles might not be developed and you are suffering from fatigue and that will seriously hurt your accuracy. My advice...read all the posts above and.keep your practice scessions short. Focus on shooting your best 15-20 arrows and increase your shooting time gradually. Also keep your distances short in the beginning 20-30 yds....get that down first before moving out.....:cool:

Last edited:
>>>Is it just going to take me time to figure it out, or am I probably doing something fundamentally wrong? (I know its almost impossible to tell without actually watching me shoot)'

Answer imo : Yes = take you some time.
and Yes = fundamentally, most likely a breakdown. do not rule out that arrow either - the way its fletched, hits a rest or the point, etc.

My 8 year old is getting into his shooting more now finally. Shoots a little Menace I bought from a Hunt Talker. He was consistently below average, but is getting to be more average with more practice. He has some 'fliers' every now and again, but getting better at his groups at 10 and 15 yards.

Accuracy is all about consistency with a bow, so ensuring your grip, anchor, follow through, etc are the same every time is key. All of the advice above is good stuff. Here are a couple other ideas that might help:

1. drop your draw weight and work on perfecting your form, and slowly build it back up over the summer.

2. draw as small of a aiming point as you can see, and use that to develop your accuracy. "Aim small, miss small" once you develop the accuracy you can star shooting at silhouettes where you have to pick a spot.

3. Kisser button. this will help you make your actor point more consistent

4. adjust your grip to reduce your torque and then use that grip every time. I like a grip that reduces the area my hand is in contact with the grip, this makes it much more difficult to torque the riser.
View attachment 35626

5. Read this article on back tension, it will help create more consistency in your follow through. http://www.thearcher.com/coachCorner/tipDetails.cfm?tipId=7&type=general&email=No

Hope this helps.

Ross

Everything said here is spot on. I had a similar experience when I first started shooting bows and had to drop the weight, add a kisser button, practice aim small miss small, and adjust my grip. If I would of learned to do that all at once and right away it would of taken a lot of time and frustration away.

I have no complaints with the bow it self. Take this with a grain of salt, since I don't know a ton about bow, but I think its a lot of bow for the money.

It will do everything I need it to(fill my freezer if I do my part). I'm a hunter, not a target shooter. It will kill stuff so that's good enough for me.

I like to spend the big bucks on other stuff, like shotguns, dogs, ect.

Maybe number your arrows and you'll be able to tell if your consistent fliers are related to some arrows, but not others.

Thanks to everyone.

Today the wind was calm (for a few minutes lol), and I REALLY focused on my grip, anchor point, tightening my core, and follow through.

Once warmed up and focused I was able to stack 4 arrows (I only shoot 4 at a time) well within 3 inches a couple of times. Then I got fatigued and the groups opened up, but stayed consistent.

This arrow stuff aint easy, but I guess that's why I want to do it.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbaker
Back