Compound Bow Beginner-Help!

RugerHawg413

Hello,
I am not a beginner when it comes to hunting....with a rifle or a crossbow. But, I am very much a beginner when it comes to pretty much anything compound bow related. Probably 2 years ago, I bought a Bear Species Left Hand (as I am left eye dominant). I thought that would be a good enough bow to get me started, I live and hunt in Arkansas for Whitetail. I have only attempted to shoot the bow a couple of times, I bought some cheap bolts from walmart to use for target practice. I believe that my bow is adjustable from 55-70lb draw weight. I don't really know anyone that is big into bow hunting or that uses compound bows that much. Also, I only have one bow shop in my town, and it isn't the biggest place in the world. Any and all wisdom and information is very appreciated! I would love to be able to get good with a compound bow and maybe even hunt out west for big game with one if I get good enough. Please let me know what you suggest I do or tips of any kind to help me get started. Thank you so much and again it is very appreciated.

Start with John Dudley's Nock On series or Joel Turner's Shot IQ. Joel was on the WiredToHunt podcast (episodes #206 and #535). Would love it if Uncle Randy had one of these types on HuntTalk Radio or Elk Talk soon. There are also a ton of great YouTube resources (Dudley, Chris Bee, Dan Staton/ElkShape). As Dave mentions above, though, individual coaching and mentorship goes so, so much further than reading or listening about it. Find someone who knows what they are doing and are willing to give you some pointers. Then, it's just up to you to practice consistently and frequently enough to make the shot process muscle memory.

Finally, a bit of practical advice: you *will* slap the fire out of your bow-side forearm with your string. The sooner you accept this and make peace with it, the better.

Start with John Dudley's Nock On series or Joel Turner's Shot IQ. Joel was on the WiredToHunt podcast (episodes #206 and #535). Would love it if Uncle Randy had one of these types on HuntTalk Radio or Elk Talk soon. There are also a ton of great YouTube resources (Dudley, Chris Bee, Dan Staton/ElkShape). As Dave mentions above, though, individual coaching and mentorship goes so, so much further than reading or listening about it. Find someone who knows what they are doing and are willing to give you some pointers. Then, it's just up to you to practice consistently and frequently enough to make the shot process muscle memory.

Finally, a bit of practical advice: you *will* slap the fire out of your bow-side forearm with your string. The sooner you accept this and make peace with it, the better.
Awesome! Thanks for the info! LOL! Understood.

My biggest recommendation Is take the time to learn everything and practice intentionally in the beginning. It's so much easier to learn the right way then to learn bad habits and have to work three times as hard to undo them.

I'm relearning how to draw back my bow this year. Been shooting a 70 pound compound for 15 years now. This year my shoulder was starting to hurt a little. Started doing research and lo and behold I've been pulling it back way wrong. I've always held bow arm straight out and used just my shoulder muscles to pull it back. Now I'm having to literally just practice not using any shoulder muscles and using all back muscles. It's so different (but way better and won't damage my shoulder). Going to be nice to practice longer and have no shoulder fatigue or issues.

Lookup Tom Clum on YouTube. For that matter we are blessed in that way that we can go to YouTube and get educated on whatever it is, including anything bow related.

#1 develop a regular shooting practice schedule.gettimg good with a bow is all about consitency in form and shooting regularly.

Only shot a two year old bow a couple times is your biggest problem to overcome and correct.

Personal opinion here.
Start out with a lower draw weight. Build a foundation of form, consistency and accuracy at a lower weight. Then you can work on climbing the weight ladder.
Shoot at big targets, like paper plates. Don’t try to hit a grape at 50 yards or you will be tweaking constantly and unable to build confidence. Time for that later. Inspect your equipment every time you take it out, every time.
Bow shops know bows. Support your local businesses, just understand that he needs to sell stuff to stay open.

IMO do not go out and shoot 50 arrows in a night learn at 15 yrds or so maybe 20 shot a few arrows in the beginning its all about form an muscle memory not so much where the arrows are in the target that can be worked with once you start getting good groups
adjusting the arrow placement in target can be moved from 6 inches left n high to center on the bow once your form is getting set

Book idiot proof archery is a good read. Vertical bows are nothing like crossbows or rifles. They require a lot of practice. If that is not you save yourself the aggravation and the animal potential suffering. Otherwise it is a worthy goal.

#1. Keep draw weight on the lower end to start
#2. Make sure bow is in spec - ATA (axle to axle length), brace height (distance from
handle to string), nock position, cam timing, etc. Your shop will get this all checked very easily. Recheck every 500 shots or so, things stretch, especially at first.
#3. Ensure your arrow spine is correct for your draw weight, arrow length, and the tip weight. Easy to find the spine charts online.
#4. Practice frequently in small doses. Don’t practice if you are tiring out.
#5. Theres a million other small fun details but if you have a good bow, well set up, you will find it easier to progress without unneeded frustration.

#4. Practice frequently in small doses. Don’t practice if you are tiring out.
Emphasis on this one. Bad habits form when you have muscle fatigue.

Would also recommend checking all of your screws periodically to ensure they are tight. I made a post about a $60 mistake I had for not checking my screws. It’s not if, it’s when. They will come loose over time, especially on elevation changes.

Hey RugerHawg413, are you making any progress with archery?

What part of Arkansas if you don't mind my asking.

I would recommend going into the bow shop (prepared to NOT buy anything) and just talk with them. They will show you the models they sell, answer your questions and help you gain knowledge on compound bow setups. They will most likely let you shoot the bows in their shop. After you leave go home and study. Research top bows mid range bows and low end bows to find out what fits you, what your hunting and your budget. Once you are decided, go back ready to buy and they will help you get setup. Most good bow shops will help you pick out arrows and paper tune before you leave. They will also help you get on paper at 20yds and dial in your bow. I've gone the rout before of buying from a big box store i.e. Cabela's and Sportsman's warehouse but prefer the personal experience you get from a local bow shop.

I would recommend going into the bow shop (prepared to NOT buy anything) and just talk with them. They will show you the models they sell, answer your questions and help you gain knowledge on compound bow setups. They will most likely let you shoot the bows in their shop. After you leave go home and study. Research top bows mid range bows and low end bows to find out what fits you, what your hunting and your budget. Once you are decided, go back ready to buy and they will help you get setup. Most good bow shops will help you pick out arrows and paper tune before you leave. They will also help you get on paper at 20yds and dial in your bow. I've gone the rout before of buying from a big box store i.e. Cabela's and Sportsman's warehouse but prefer the personal experience you get from a local bow shop.
Great info! Thank you!!

Back