Bass Cabelas Pro?

I can find what I need online at better pricing, no tax, and definitely more amenable shipping than either.

I usually order online too, but when I have to go to VA appointments we like to stop and look around and buy a few things on the way home from Denver. Cabela's we stop at to look at mounts and pretty stuff, BPS we stop to shop at. Another thing I like about BPS is their redhead brand clothes actually fits me as a fat dude. Their sizes run true to the sizes, with a little extra wiggle room. I've bought Cabela's brand clothes that didn't fit worth a damn.

I have not been impressed with Bass Pro lately, but do get a fair amount of hunting gear from Cabelas. I have found their clothing to be very well made and they stand behind it if they have their name on it. I have run into very good employees at their Minnesota stores.

If you want a real joke, go to a Gander Mountain.

I really like how Scheels in Bismarck, ND has there gun area laid out. I love the fact that I can just walk in and pick up a rifle and get a feel for it. I fondled and drooled over a lot of guns in there just a few weeks ago :D

Oh Boy, now it's a Monopoly on outdoor gear, less choices and higher prices due to buying up the competition. Saw a BPS in Sacramento, never stopped or shopped at one. I buy online from Cabelas and no problems so far with returns. Sportsmans Warehouse is OK but higher priced IMO.

My brother tells me the following story.....

He was with a Senior Cabelas executive and my brother told him that the sorta nearby Bass Pro didn't have the 50 cal bullets he was looking for. "That's right!!! That (expletive deleted) Bass Pro Shops is a fishing store that carries a few hunting items. Cabelas is a HUNTING store that has some nice fishing/outdoors gear" exclaimed the Cabelas exec.

I can hardly stand to walk around inside Bass Pro or Cabela's stores anymore. If were not for the mounts on the wall or my need to get blackpowder supplies can not fly with then I would never step into one again. Cabela's is slightly less annoying but each morphed into carrying so much crap like sugary food and funky cabin lamps that I would never buy nor expect to show up in a hunting camp. I don't fish much so can't comment on the in-store selection.

I buy quite a bit of my hunting clothing from Cabela's online. Had a coat tear at the zipper after about a decade and Cabela's response that the Cabela's Outfitter warranty was for the EXPECTED life of the coat rather than for as long as I wore the coat. Hmmmm....shouldn't the tag sewn in the coat say warranty expires in X years then? That was odd and definitely made me see Cabela's in a different light since then.

Im a Cabela's guy. . .my Dad likes BP. Id hate to see them merge though! I'm kind of shocked with the support of Sportmans Warehouse. . .they always seemed high on stuff here.. . . (or you had to be high on stuff to go there) LOL:D

If you were to compare branded gear head to head, Cabelas is going to win nearly every time.

Cabelas feels like a more Western oriented store in terms of product selection.

But the reality is that with the internet retailing both of them do, the store selections are not as wide or deep. They will both focus on high margin and high volume items, and let you order the more specialized stuff from the web.

I often thought idf I lost all my hunting stuff the day before opening day and had an insurance check, I could go to Cabelas and get everything I need to do an elk hunt. Might not be the lightest backpacking gear I could get at REI, or the brand of bow I bought from my pro shop, or the most advanced technical raingear KUIU sold me on, but I could hunt effectively. Probably could do the same with BPS stuff, but might not have sage camo, and I'd worry about the Redhead footwear and raingear holding up vs the Cabelas brand.

You know, I don't look at big chain stores in the right fashion I guess. If they have what I need I usually buy it. I would prefer to use local stores though. The closest Cabelas is roughly 50 miles from my house in Lehi, UT. The nearest BPS is in Las Vegas. So when I am in Vegas the wife and I will usually take the kids and go to BPS to see the fish.

Their Redhead braded stuff works for it's intended purpose. The Cabelas branded gear also works for it's intended purposes. Are there better products, yes! Are they the same cost, heck no! The way I look at these two stores is easy, east coast hunting (east of the Mississippi river), turkey, upland game and the majority of the fishing gear a person needs can be had at BPS. If a guy wants to hunt in the colder, rockier, higher altitude areas, fish the streams, and so forth, basically west of the Mississippi river then Cabelas is where you would get the majority of your stuff.

Now one could argue that hunting in Texas a person can get their stuff at BPS, that's true, but Texas is big as fu** also! I think if they combine it wont affect 75% of the population that uses the stores, it will affect the 25% that are brand/store loyal.

I can hardly stand to walk around inside Bass Pro or Cabela's stores anymore. If were not for the mounts on the wall or my need to get blackpowder supplies can not fly with then I would never step into one again. Cabela's is slightly less annoying but each morphed into carrying so much crap like sugary food and funky cabin lamps that I would never buy nor expect to show up in a hunting camp. I don't fish much so can't comment on the in-store selection.

I buy quite a bit of my hunting clothing from Cabela's online. Had a coat tear at the zipper after about a decade and Cabela's response that the Cabela's Outfitter warranty was for the EXPECTED life of the coat rather than for as long as I wore the coat. Hmmmm....shouldn't the tag sewn in the coat say warranty expires in X years then? That was odd and definitely made me see Cabela's in a different light since then.

Cabela's had to change the warranty policy, because too many "renters" were just using stuff and taking it right back. Cabela's-and their customers-pay for all of the idiots that take advantage, instead of using warranties for the intended purpose. When my wife was still working in customer service, she told me some real horror stories on stuff that Cabela's should never have taken back. People have no conscience anymore.

As far as shipping goes, Cabela's eats millions of dollars in shipping. People would really whine if they had to pay ACTUAL shipping on Cabela's products. I wish that they would charge actual shipping and then lower the item price.

Cabela's has to pay for all of these stores they keep building all over the place.... I was all excited to find out they built one in Missoula, only to find out it's an outlet store that sells discontinued stuff and bargain crap. It seems like Cabela's is more concerned about expansion and putting up as many stores as possible than building on their brand and on what they have and making it better. Why do we need TWO Cabela's stores in Denver? The stores are getting smaller and selection is getting smaller as well.

Have you been by BPS in Springfield lately? What a zoo. And BPS must be making some serious cash for all the crap they have added to that store over the years.

I go the BPS in CO Springs and wonder how it's in business with hardly anyone in the parking lot. Huge overhead and inventory with all the shiny stuff.

I go to Cabelas in Lone Tree, parking lot is 1/2 full all the time. Same with the store up north when I drive by it.

The sportsmens store in the Denver area suck. They don't have chit or guys who know chit. Prices are average with any other large retail place.

Cush, I've got a $100 BPS card I'll sell you for $150....

went to a bass pro in Iowa once.Never went back to another BP after that.Hunting selection was terrible.Didnt notice any quality gear or clothes.Alot of that redhead stuff was it and looked like junk to me.I have one of the biggest cabelas stores near me,and I can get pretty much anything I need there,and good quality.Looked for elk calls for my partner in BP in Iowa and they had NONE.I couldn't believe that.Customer service I don't think is great in either store.Most have less knowledge then my wife
I wish I had a sportsmans warehouse close.I hope the 2 don't merge,but it may help out the little stores that sell quality

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back