Badlands Scouting Trip

hardscrabble

A friend of mine and I spent last weekend out in the badlands to check out this years crop of mule deer. With deer numbers down state wide our hopes were not to high to find lots of deer. Dispite the numbers I was still able to find some nice bucks. Hope you all enjoy a few pictures.

A young up and comer that came close.
Scouting 7-7-2012 (5).jpg

This was a really nice wide buck that I have not seen before. Only bad thing he has a short G-4 on the right side.
Scouting 7-7-2012 (20).jpg

Scouting 7-7-2012 (25).jpg

I have watched this buck for the last two years. I had a close call with him while bowhunting two years ago. Me and some friends have spent two rifle seasons trying to locate him with no luck. If only I knew where he spent his time come November. He grew an inline in his back left forks this year.
Scouting 7-7-2012 (28).jpg

Scouting 7-7-2012 (30).jpg

Scouting 7-7-2012 (31).jpg

Scouting 7-7-2012 (46).jpg

This was the highlight of the weekend. Friday night I was lucky enough to glass this guy up a ways away just before dark. I do have to say this is the largest bull I have ever seen in the wild. If any of the elk experts around here have a guess on what this guy would score I would love to hear it as I am an amature elk judge.

Scouting 7-7-2012 (11).jpg

Scouting 7-7-2012 (16).jpg

He looks like he has awesome tops and main beams. Hard to tell on the rest but if they match he has to be a 350+ bull.

Great pics and thanks for sharing! Sounds like a great weekend. Don't really want to guess on the bull. Can only see his tops real well but he is a dandy of a bull!

That's a big ol' bull. Hard to score from the photos, but there's not an elk tag out there that I would pass him with.

Even from the fuzzy pictures of that bull it appears he has tremendous width and with that usually comes good beam length. It also looks like he has good tops and very good 4ths. I'd say he will top 350" easily before he sheds his velvet.

Cool stuff. I hope that country can stay somewhat intact for future hunters. It is a remarkable place.

Nice buck and very nice bull thanks for sharing. I hope to see a bull even resembling that one during my Nevada elk hunt.

nice looking buck....and the elk would have to agree he should switch to light beer.....but a really nice elk either way....thanks for sharing the pics.

Scrabble, did you draw a gun tag this year in the Badlands? Or are you scouting for bow? I have a few spots where I have seen some really nice bucks the past couple of years in 4B.

Scrabble, did you draw a gun tag this year in the Badlands? Or are you scouting for bow? I have a few spots where I have seen some really nice bucks the past couple of years in 4B.

No rifle tag this year. I had one two years ago. I just like spending time out there and looking for something to chase with my bow.

Where did all the green grass come from? Around here it is major drought.
I can't tell on the bull. Better put him on the ground so that you can measure.

Appreciate the pics Hardscrabble. Enjoy your posts on here and FBO. I backpacked 17mi over a few days early this month to look over some new country in the ND badlands. I love bumping into elk out there. In 2010 I came across a 320" elk skull in a creek bottom.

Keep the pics coming!

Trail Cam Pics

A friend of mine went out and pulled cards out of the two trail cameras we set up. The one location was a shot in the dark and there was only one good buck on it. My other camera is in a morning transition area.

This buck is a new one I have not seen before. This area where the camera is at is a transition area that seems to alway have deer the first weekend or two of season. I know where I will be on opener.
CDY_0033.jpg

I am almost positive this is the buck from pics two and three from my original post. He has good main beams and width just a bumber he is short on some tine length. No matter what I would love to put my bow tag on him.
CDY_0031.jpg

This is the only decent buck on my shot in the dark spot. There are some good ones in this area I just need to find their travel routes.
MDGC0025[1].jpg

I am almost positive this is the buck from pics two and three from my original post. He has good main beams and width just a bumber he is short on some tine length. No matter what I would love to put my bow tag on him.

I think you're right, but he sure looks bigger in this picture. Thanks for sharing, hope you run an arrow through one.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back