MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

ND Badlands trip

Jamen

I got asked to go with a long time family friend to help him fill his once in a lifetime ND elk tag. Without hesitation i said yes. The badlands will always be one of my favorite places. Having my own tag out there and helping a cousin get one a few years back we had a sort of a game plan. Outside the weather sucking and highs in the 90s it was an amazing trip. Saturday morning, we turned up 13 elk on private land and i found 4 that evening on the public we were hunting. Not much light left in the evening and the tag holders' knee not doing well we couldn't make a play. I should have taken pictures of the elk but didnt. The one bull was a mile away and gone in 15 seconds and into a drainage.

Sunday and Monday we saw nothing, i had to venture home Monday to get back to work. Tuesday i get the text of bull down. I was excited to receive the text and pictures to follow. He shot a nice 5x6. The bull was bedded 50 yards beneath them when they were glassing. I don't like posting pictures of others online without their permission so you will only get to see some mule deer pictures. Now i knew if i took my bow with i wouldn't see any deer, and if i left it at home id see some nice deer. And that held true. Some really nice public land mule deer. But i didn't want to be selfish and try and hunt them on this trip, wasn't my hunt. I wanted to put forth my best effort for him as i could and didn't need to be chasing some of the deer. I will post a picture of the elk if he wants me to at a later date. There was 3 more mule deer i didnt get pictures of that were really nice as well. I just love being out there and seeing the critters even if i do not have a weapon with.

It was an awesome trip with some great memories made. I am glad it all worked out for him and he filled his tag!

Attachments

• 20230901_063125.jpg
    20230901_063125.jpg
    959.4 KB · Views: 122
  • 20230903_062347.jpg
    20230903_062347.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 122
  • 20230903_062405.jpg
    20230903_062405.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 125
  • 20230903_062408.jpg
    20230903_062408.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 124
I'm not sure if he damaged the base when shedding but the side with the 5 points is alot lower than the other side.
If he does a euro mount, it would be cool to see the skull plate on that guy. Its a cool trophy, congrats to your friend.

I have always called these Broken pedicle bulls. It’s surprising how many of these there are. My dad and I both have one. I have a shed off another one.

Looks like you need to head back out there and bring your bow this time .

Always amazes me driving over from
Montana into that country the quality of deer you find even on a “down” year for ND. Also makes me pissed to see what Montana could easily be.

Heading over there this weekend to help a friend find a bull for his wife

Montana into that country the quality of deer you find even on a “down” year for ND. Also makes me pissed to see what Montana could easily be.

send me a PM i can relay a little of the info i have from this season.

Being from ND and hunting MT as well, i could not agree more. MT used to be special, seeing hundreds of deer and antelope daily. Not anymore. They really need to take some herd inventory and cut the tags. Its sad to see the low number of critters.

I got asked to go with a long time family friend to help him fill his once in a lifetime ND elk tag. Without hesitation i said yes. The badlands will always be one of my favorite places. Having my own tag out there and helping a cousin get one a few years back we had a sort of a game plan. Outside the weather sucking and highs in the 90s it was an amazing trip. Saturday morning, we turned up 13 elk on private land and i found 4 that evening on the public we were hunting. Not much light left in the evening and the tag holders' knee not doing well we couldn't make a play. I should have taken pictures of the elk but didnt. The one bull was a mile away and gone in 15 seconds and into a drainage.

Sunday and Monday we saw nothing, i had to venture home Monday to get back to work. Tuesday i get the text of bull down. I was excited to receive the text and pictures to follow. He shot a nice 5x6. The bull was bedded 50 yards beneath them when they were glassing. I don't like posting pictures of others online without their permission so you will only get to see some mule deer pictures. Now i knew if i took my bow with i wouldn't see any deer, and if i left it at home id see some nice deer. And that held true. Some really nice public land mule deer. But i didn't want to be selfish and try and hunt them on this trip, wasn't my hunt. I wanted to put forth my best effort for him as i could and didn't need to be chasing some of the deer. I will post a picture of the elk if he wants me to at a later date. There was 3 more mule deer i didnt get pictures of that were really nice as well. I just love being out there and seeing the critters even if i do not have a weapon with.

It was an awesome trip with some great memories made. I am glad it all worked out for him and he filled his tag!
Those muley are nice

Which unit did he draw out for a cow tag. I drew out for unit E2.
E3, i was in E2 a few years back helping my dad find a cow. Never did see an elk. But we only had a week to hunt. Ive been around most of E3 this will be my 4th time out there for elk.

E3, i was in E2 a few years back helping my dad find a cow. Never did see an elk. But we only had a week to hunt. Ive been around most of E3 this will be my 4th time out there for elk.
I live close to E2 will probably hunt every weekend until I get one or the hunt is over.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back