Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Bad thing?

Very few people make decisions based solely on logic about any issue. We are generally more motivated in our decisions by how it affects us emotionally than pure logic.
Agreed

Most folks absolutely certain they won’t accept restrictions of their 2nd Amendment rights aren’t intellectually honest with themselves that they already have accepted restrictions because they agree that restrictions concerning felons owning firearms and certain military weapons and weapons of “mass destruction” should be off limits for everyone to own.
I think many of those folks are very aware of the current restrictions on the 2nd Amendment and how we got there. Many are probably equally aware of the compromises along the way that they had little to no say in. But it's never enough... if only we pass this one law and compromise on our rights, things will be ok; only to be told we need additional laws. Meanwhile, the laws already on the books aren't being enforced. Take for example your felon with a firearm (a right lost through due process, btw). Felons are being rearrested for other crimes and found to be in possession of a firearm. And it happens over and over again. But it doesn't get prosecuted. Very rarely. So, if the goal is to be tough on gun crime... be tough on gun crime. But at least do that before having the gall to add more restrictions on law-abiding citizens (many of which own those scary "black" guns).

Maybe I am just a snowflake or something, but I have to think if I as an avid hunter and unapologetic gun owner am uneasy being around “Tacticool Chad” and the folks carrying around AR’s at public rallies and protests, how do others with much less exposure to guns and gun owners feel about guns after seeing those kinds of displays?
I mean I don't really care for or support a lot of stuff that's going on in the streets of America over the last few years. People have their right to protest and air their grievances. I avoid rallies and protest, but if for whatever reason I needed to be in the area, I wouldn't want to be unarmed. It's not about be a snowflake or not being a snowflake, but about being aware of your surroundings and adjusting accordingly. I've been to some pretty sketchy places both in the US and abroad and those "Tacticool Chads" would be the least of my concerns.

I am convinced the 80% do not come away with a feeling of solidarity and support for gun owners and everyone’s 2nd Amendment rights after seeing that type of “proud gun owner” behavior.

Personally, I am convinced that a lot of gun owners don’t understand or maybe don’t care that we are losing the “culture war” when it comes to the general public’s view of black guns and guns in general.

Sure, because the average joe is not having conversations about the 2nd Amendment. But they are being fed a narrative, which again, either guilts them into supporting anti-gun legislation or gaslights them into silence. By far, the most common firearms tied back to crime and fatalities are handguns. ARs are not even close but guess what conversation we are having. Why? I mean, if we are going to pretend to care about "gun crime", why is the first conversation we are having about so-called "black" guns or "ghost" guns? It's because it's the narrative you are being told to concentrate on.

Overall, it's a complex situation that's being simplified by blaming an inanimate object and those that own them. Which, in turn, lets us ignore the real issues of rampant bad behavior and the lack of personal responsibility and the increasing mental health crisis and the failures of the "war on poverty" and the failures on the "war on drugs". No, instead it's blame the scary guns...

Why can’t people just be happy with the cricket, or other youth 22lr? I think the ultimate issue with the JR-15 is that it’s designed to familiarize young children with the functions and ergonomics of the AR platform. Any other rifle platform, perhaps save for the AK, and this wouldn’t be an issue. No body is arguing that a 22lr mauser would be bad for kids to learn on. The problem is the AR platform has been used by numerous children to gun down their classmates. In light of that, teaching them how to use one from a young age doesn’t seem like such a good idea. If the parents are irresponsible gun owners, and let their AR fall into their troubled youth’s hands, ignorance maybe the last/only thing keeping the kid from doing irreparable damage to the whole community. For the record, I am an army combat veteran and AR owner, and I do not think “black rifles” are evil. I just think there is such a thing as age appropriate firearms, and that goes beyond weight, LOP, and recoil. I’m sure I’m in the minority on this forum, but that’s my 2¢.
An AR15 is like a hammer very simple to operate any troubled youth that has access to one can figure it out in 5 minutes. Doesn’t matter if they’re “trained” on it from an early age. The “troubled” youth part is the biggest problem we face the way I see it. If we have our kids out shooting and mentoring them and spending time doing responsible things and teaching right from wrong I think we have a much smaller problem. The parents that let the tv and video games raise the kids I would say have a much higher likelihood of having a kid with issues.

Mine is accurate as hell..bought it from a damn good seller in Montana. Sits quietly in the safe, chews up the center of a target on occasion, show no interest in atrocity.
I've got one too. Can't figure out how to make it shoot, but it also shows no propensity to commit atrocities or do much of anything except look ugly and occasionally go "bang".

Overall, it's a complex situation that's being simplified by blaming an inanimate object and those that own them. Which, in turn, lets us ignore the real issues of rampant bad behavior and the lack of personal responsibility and the increasing mental health crisis and the failures of the "war on poverty" and the failures on the "war on drugs". No, instead it's blame the scary guns...
I agree. How do we get everyone to focus on addressing the root issues?

I think it’s fair to say that people on both sides of the conversation focus on peripherals rather than cause and support politicians who support and shape their views.

“Guns are bad. Let’s get rid of them so bad things can’t be done with guns.”, is a simplistic viewpoint of the left.

“Bad people do bad things, so if a perp has a gun with a 30 round magazine, I want a gun with a 50 round magazine.”, is a simplistic viewpoint of the right.

What investment are we making for a better future for our children and grandchildren? How are we going to address the bolded portion of your post?

I think it’s fair to say that people on both sides of the conversation focus on peripherals rather than cause and support politicians who support and shape their views.

“Guns are bad. Let’s get rid of them so bad things can’t be done with guns.”, is a simplistic viewpoint of the left.

“Bad people do bad things, so if a perp has a gun with a 30 round magazine, I want a gun with a 50 round magazine.”, is a simplistic viewpoint of the right.

What investment are we making for a better future for our children and grandchildren? How are we going to address the bolded portion of your post?
I'd say it would take a major shift in how society as a whole think. And there are no easy answers. But it all starts at home.

Kids nowadays go to school or leave home with unrealistic expectations. Life is hard and either no one prepared them for it or that's all they've been prepared for depending on their background. Add to that, schools have been become institutions more concerned with pushing graduation rates and less interested in actual education. Now we have graduates who can barely read or write.

9 years ago, when I left the military, new troops were coming in wondering why they weren't already running the unit. This is barely an exaggeration. And nothing was their fault. Some of them had never been told "no' before. Some were told they could be anything in the world; but everyone along the way neglected to tell them they'd have to work for it. It was really a whole other level of BS.

Despite all this, there are still some parents sending out some outstanding young adults into the world. I'd say that if you observed those parents, you'd probably find that their children had structure and discipline and were held accountable from a young age and throughout adolescences. If we could get back to this and maybe restructure the education system to actually educate our children, we might get headed in the right direction.

If your kid wants an AR, what are you gonna do? mtmuley

All good points. I think it starts at a more basic level than our education system.

Our education system is a product of our expectations as a society and reflects (and shapes) our values.

If, if, individuals in society lived by the principles expressed by Jesus in the Gospel of Matthew 22:36-40 many of these root causes to social problems could be addressed and overcome.

How to inspire people to “love your neighbor as yourself” on their own volition is the biggest question, IMO.

My daughter already has an AR. It’s fun to shoot.

I would like to think she has the wisdom to use it wisely for hunting, recreational shooting and personal protection, not as a tool to publicly intimidate others with differing views and opinions than herself.

Tell him no. If your 9 year-old kid wants a car, what are you gonna do? Fortunately, up here the govt makes sure I don't have to deal with that issue. ARs are now illegal. Oh well.

These could really help younger children to accomplish missions like Columbine and Sandy Hook. Middle schoolers, heck even grade school kids need to be able to express their 2nd amendment rights on their classmates. Merica!

Pesky freedom. Good ol government saving you from yourself.
Yeah, the govt also doesn't allow me to possess bomb making material, machine guns, meth labs, anti tank guns, or hand grenades. It's more about saving me from nuts who want to do away with govt.

Yeah, the govt also doesn't allow me to possess bomb making material, machine guns, meth labs, anti tank guns, or hand grenades. It's more about saving me from nuts who want to do away with govt.
Good point, laws will stop those nuts right in there tracks.
Bingo! laws stop nothing bad people intend to carry out.

Good point, laws will stop those nuts right in there tracks.
Nothing will ever entirely stop crazy people. It's about mitigating the damage they can do by making it harder to access weapons of mass destruction.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otto247
Back