Backpack pronghorn hunt

jt4

Planning to make my pronghorn hunt this year into a backpack hunt for 2-4 nights. Am I the only one that would do this for a hunt that seems like such a road or truck hunt.

The goal is to give my gear a test run before some more serious trips in the following years. Any tips?

Planning to make my pronghorn hunt this year into a backpack hunt for 2-4 nights. Am I the only one that would do this for a hunt that seems like such a road or truck hunt.

The goal is to give my gear a test run before some more serious trips in the following years. Any tips?
I think it’s a great idea but wouldn’t think it would take you that long. I do the same thing. Test out new gear or setups during antelope before I’m miles back on an elk hunt. Mine is usually one to two days, not usually very picky though.

Not weird at all. Considered doing the same thing last year, especially considering the length of hike into the unit I was hunting. If you do, just keep in mind that an antelope is a heck of a lot lighter than most anything else. So what might feel like a manageable load when you’re packing out your antelope and gear will change quickly with the multiple trips required for a bigger animal.

Call me lazy but backpacking on the prairie isn’t my style. Ripping wind with little cover. The last goat I shot was a mile from the truck which wasn’t bad. I carried it out most of the way on my back until some nice hunters from Canada let me throw it on their quad for the remaining 1/4 mile.

I'm a roadless kind of guy. Feel great enjoyment when miles from the nearest human.

When I cruised timber, Forest service would work plots in house that were near roads and contract out the tough plots. I worked the tough plots with many backpack trips. Many times had a weeks worth of work 10 - 20 miles in, paid a friend to carry a heavy pack a $100/ day. He lives here local - I introduce him to friends as my own private sherpa. Would never call him a mule.

Last edited:
Nope. Good idea. Don’t assume that if you hike in 5-10 miles that you’ll be alone opening day. Guys will have vehicle access through the adjacent private land. Leave the spotter in the Camry. Good luck.

My brother is doing that this year. He and a friend picked a unit with limited access, but they plan to hike in deep. They know that they still may get some pressure from the adjacent private land, but it should still be less than the masses at the main public roads. Water is a concern though

Wait... there is a place to backpack in for antelope that isn't within eyesight of a road?
In Idaho - Biggest buck I've seen was while working at 9000' in the Lost River Mts. It was back awhile - Was July or August. He was by himself.
Seems our antelope are more spread out and are in smaller herds than Wyoming or Montana. I see them in not antelope country sometimes.

I've toyed with that idea for an area I've hunted for a few years. Limited access, but you can walk into some big chunks, and being back in there first for the opener gives you an advantage. Water has been a limiting factor, as all of the available water has oil and gas related pollution. I also don't think it would amount to more than one night back in there to fill the tags. It would be fun, and something different.

It’s gonna suck when you’re camped out on the prairie and all the beer is at the truck.

Back