Back Country Backpack Hunting

huntbux

Well guys I have been doing some research and am having a hard time figuring out which was is up. I am looking at getting into some back county hunting. I plan on backpacking in a few miles and camping in the back country for days or weeks at a time. I plan on doing these hunts in Nevada for mainly mule deer and will be hunting mainly during archery season.
I have a backpack, boots and the main gear needed for the regular day hikes and hunting from a base camp.
I am looking for pack gear such as a tent under 5lbs. water filter, sleeping bag, cooking kit, etc. I thought why not ask all the guys here and get some real info.
Thanks for the help guys and gals and if you need any info to give me better advice let me know. BTW I am trying to do this on a relative budget but I also don't want to have to buy replacement stuff every year or two.

Any and all input will be appreciated

Here is my list so far:

3 season free standing tent 2 man (under 5lbs) $250
Jetboil $70
sleeping bag $100 pr less ?
sleeping pad $40
rain gear $200
water filter system $75 or less ?
Under Armour layering system $200
camelback water bladder $65

total $1000

backpack will be needed as well not sure on price of that yet still doing research.

Last edited:
not sure on an exact budget, the tent I was trying to keep under 300 I am thinking I should be able to get everything so far for under $1000. If that is not possible let me know as well. But that is just through my preliminary research.

I think you'll have trouble getting a good sleeping bag for $100,besides that your figures look fine.I'd spend more to get a good nights sleep;on the pad too.I use Big Agnes tent,bag and air core pad,and they are real nice,light too
I don't bring any rain gear with me but an extra set of lightweight camo gear.I do bring a contractors size trash bag with me in my day pack for rains.If I get caught out in a heavy storm, I can pretty much cover myself with it till it stops or slows down.Good hunt clothes dry very fast in the sun.Last year, I had rain everyday for 5 days in Montana,and was able to have dry clothes with only a few hrs a day of sun to dry them out.I just don't like the noise of rain gear,and i'm not bowhunting in heavy rain anyway.Too much chance of loosing your blood trails
don't go cheap with your sleeping stuff though.After a long day hunting ,its nice to have a comfortable sleep pad and bag.its the best upgrade I made last year

Looks like a good start. I'd ditch the Camelbak. I've had a couple and the water always tasted like dog azzholes after sitting in it for a few hours. They're heavy for what you get, and if you hunt in cold weather, the hose will inevitably freeze. I prefer a Nalgene 'canteen' or the platypus bags. I'll take 2-3, take one along during the day, and leave the others in camp. Saves on having to filter water regularly. I'm not above using a plastic soda bottle either.

I plan on trying out the Sawyer Squeeze filter this summer. Weighs nothing, and it will work with the Platy bags I already have.

$200 for long underwear, or is this for all your hunting clothing/gear? I've been using Champion gear for a base layer for the last 3 years and have zero complaints. Costs 1/3 of the price of UA. My outer gear is a hodge-podge of sorts. I don't have much camo, other than a fleece shirt.

I can get by for 2 weeks with a couple long sleeve T-shirts, thermal bottoms, a pair of hiking pants, (rain pants for backup), fleece pull over x2, a puffy coat, with rain jacket shell, and of course unders and socks.

Rain gear is subjective IMO. Shop around and you can easily fill your niche for $200 or less. I wouldn't think you'd need much for rain gear hunting in NV.

Lots of options for sleeping bags. Don't scrimp here, but I wouldn't recommend getting an all around bag either. Meaning buying a -20 degree bag because some day you "might" go after a tundra grizz... My main bag is a 15 degree down bag, and I can't say that I've been on a hunt that I needed/wanted more, at least not during hunting season. If you plan to hunt cold weather get a cold weather bag, if you're hunting warm weather get a warm weather bag. I think I have 4 bags, couple down, couple synthetic... I sleep better and warmer in down.

Get a nice pad, this is probably the #1 thing on my list. Exped or Big Agnes. With a quality pad you get quality sleep, and can hit it hard, day after day.

Welcome to the obsession of backpack hunting.

Eureka 20* casper bag $75 (heard great things about the north face cats meow for $150)
Liner if it gets cold $25
Big agnes insulated core $70
Water tablets $10
XPG bivvy $100 (heard good things about tarptent contrail for $200 and weighs next to nothing)
Tarp-$15
Walmart Poncho-$5

This is my set up that I use up until early november most of the time. Works great. Cant say ive ever been lacking comfort when I crawl into my bag at night.

Like they say above spend more on sleeping gear. I was in your situation last year when I started bow hunting and realized my old gear was inadequate. go to promotive.com and see if you qualify for any of the discount teams. Its free to join but you have to qualify. I got the Sawyer squeeze filter, a Big Agnes bag, Zamberlan boots, an Eberlestock pack a crazy creek chair and a few other things and saved about $500. The Sawyer squeeze filter works so well I plan on buying another one just for my day pack. I got the Big Agnes Storm King bag for 50% off and Eberlestock Dragonfly with Spike Duffel for 30% off. I wouldn't spend as much on clothing either. I use the 2 for $19.99 Cabela's t-shirts and they work great for a warm weather base layer. I have a couple of under armor long sleeve shirts that I have picked up over the years and got a pair of scentlock long underwear last year from promotive as well. They work fine but I think they get funky smelling sooner than the Russel long underwear I picked up on sale from Cabela's. I would buy the gear you need and watch for sales on clothing you want and pick it up as you go. Camofire.com is another place to keep track of for cheap gear.

First off Thank you guys for the info and recommendation, it is really appreciated. The $$$ and figures I posted above are from some basic research I have done. I currently have a multitude of Camo's from King's Outdoors desert camo for early season archery, long and short sleeve and pants, they work great for early season hunting as well as an extra layer. I have some Cabelas wool camo, top and bottom. As well as the dream season set from drury outdoors. I have a blacks creek guide gear Canadian pack. Under Armour Speed Freak Boots as well as a pair of Rocky's for colder weather and snow etc. Lots of basic old school under layers however they dont seem to work as I would like. However, I tend not to get cold. It was -5 here in nevada a couple of years back on the opener of muledeer and I was on top of the mountain in the snow, in the clouds with a walmart tent and a 30 degree sleeping bag, not a -30. It was manageable and got the wife a buck. As you might imagine I only had the sleeping bag because she was cold and I gave her everything else.
I have no specific rain gear as of now other than a poncho.
I will do some more research on the camelbak and others as I have had bad luck with the camelbak in the past.
Tent, sleeping bag/pad, will be my main purchases I think. Lots of water in some of the areas so i will take a look at the different water options you mentioned as well.
Thank you and keep the info coming, I am like a sponge right now.

I would strongly suggest spending some money on some decent rain gear and I would make sure it's not a poncho. Just imagine stalking a bull or buck with a poncho on a windy ridge. Too much loose material that can get caught on trees, your bow, or turn into a windsock when you're at full draw. There's plenty of stuff out there that will keep you dry, is quiet, and breathable.

Check out the rainwear and base layers from Patagonia, their stuff is good and they've usually got some good deals on the web specials tab.

Ok so I have done some more research.
Couple of questions.....
Internal or external frame backpack? What is the general size I should be looking for? Tents which are stronger of the aluminum or should I go with something better? Is it true manufacture always lists items a little lighter than they actually are.
I want to get 1 pack that can handle these trips for now. 3000 to 4000 cubic inches big enough? As I said above I have a blacks creek guide gear canadian alredy. The Canadian has a Spotting Scope pocket and will carry a bow and rifle. 24 pockets. 2200 cubic inches, but will expand to 3850 cubic inches. The pack only weighs 6 lbs 8 oz. The day pack weighs 1 lb 3 oz. Realtree Max 1 Camo.
No frame in this pack and even expanded I do not believe it would suit what I am looking for. However I do want a pack with pockets and such. I am leaning towards an internal frame pack for comfort fit although I know it will cause more sweat.
Thanks for all the help again hunt talkers.

I have a Eberlestock J107 and recently purchased a MR Crew Cab. Neither is a bad pack, but the NICE frame on the MR seems more stable based on the conditioning hikes I have been out on this spring. I would also reccomend Promotive, you can get some pretty good deals on Big Agnes, Eberlestock, Firstlite Merino wool, ect.

http://www.promotive.com/

Also, check out the Clymb

http://www.theclymb.com/home

As far as tents go you can't go wrong with either the Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2 or the MSR Hubba Hubba. The MSR is going to be closer to the price you are looking for but weighs a little over a pound more at 4lb 3oz.
I would agree on spending some more of your cash on your sleep system, the Big Agnes system has worked very well for me. Your shelter and sleep system is something you don't want to cut corners on!
-Dave

Check out the Marmot Limelight 2p (listed weight 4lbs 10oz). I picked on up a couple of years ago for $189 and it has been a good 3 season tent. I have been snowed on in temps down around 15-20 deg and it did pretty well (especially for the money). It is a really simple design, which I like. REI tents are worth checking out too.

Last edited:
Don't think you can get a good bag for that price, I'd be prepared to spend some more on the bag. How well you sleep will determine how hard you hunt the next day. Ditto the remarks on the Camelbak, they give the water a bad taste. Skip the under armor and buy Smartwool. It's the best thermal stuff out there, by far. It's not cheap but you just can't beat it.

Ok so I have done some more research.
Couple of questions.....
Internal or external frame backpack? .... I am leaning towards an internal frame pack for comfort fit although I know it will cause more sweat.
Thanks for all the help again hunt talkers.

I think the internal/external frame could be debated forever. I used to have an old Camp Trails pack, used it for a couple seasons of horn hunting, and threw it away... have used a lot of other cheap internals over the years with good success, and finally settled on a MR. With a big awkward load (think bone-in moose quarter, or a moose rack) a frame might work a bit better, but with a quality internal you can pack anything you want, comfortably, as long as you can get it in the bag. I haven't run across anythign that I couldn't lash on my internal frame.

attachment.php

attachment.php

My preference would be something bigger than 90L or 5500cubes for backpack hunting. I think the perfect size is 6500. My last couple packs have been inthe 6500 range. I rarely stuff one full, but when I need it, I'm glad I have it. Seems like a full 6500 is about I want to carry anyway. I know there are plenty of guys that seem to get by with a smaller pack, but for me I just can't make it work especially on extended trips. Most big internals will compress down to the size of a standard day pack.

Sweat? I've yet to find a pack that kept me from getting sweaty. :D

My next base layer I purchase will be merino wool. I have UA and C9 both.

Don't be afraid to ask the granola's at REI about how to fit a pack, or what tents are the best. See what they have available to rent at the Reno Store, and do some summer trips up in the Sierras. You can rent stoves, bags, pads tents backpacks and even snowshoes. They may even sell them used at the end of season.

I like my Jetboil.

Cheap synthetic bags are dangerous. I got very clammy in a 100 dollar 0 degree bag in the summer. The next week I spent $400 on a 800 down 30 * bag that has out performed the prior one 4x over...

Tents- No real experience except big ones and cheap ones.

Backpacks are like shoes. Individual fit important. I did a summer weekend hunt with 2200 cu inches. I would have had to make 2 trips out if I connected. 4500 cu in seems to be a workable size. I prefer internal frame for comfort and adjustability.

Back