Back Country Backpack Hunting

npaden...

If you go to sacalerts.com you can set up an account to have alerts sent to you via email or text message. You set a list of keywords and if an item is listed that contains a keyword in the title it will send you an alert. It works well. For example... I am currently watching for deals on sleeping bags/pads, packs, and merino wool base layers. I set my keywords as backpack, pack, sleeping, merino, wool, and smartwool and I have gotten alerts for all of those products. It works well, but I would suggest the text message alerts if you can because they seem to come quicker than the email alerts do, and for some of the items that's important cuz they don't have many available.

Here is a list of gear that I recommend. None of it is really top of the line bits its good gear that will serve you well and meet your needs. You won't have to buy twice yet also won't break the bank. The gear listed will also allow you to hunt let's say elk in October in Colorado.

GoLite Shangrila-2. $249. 3lbs 2oz
http://www.golite.com/Shangri-La-2-Tent-P46826.aspx

Marmot Sawtooth 15 degree bag. $179 3lbs 2oz
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___46338

Marmot It's Never winter 30degree 1lb 15oz
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___46451

Big Agnes Insulated Air Pad. 1lb 6oz. $89
https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Pad/InsulatedAirCore

Rain Gear? Get a poncho and call it good. Or buy the cheapest stuff cabelas has. The reality is if its raining that hard your sitting in a tent playing cards.

MSR Pocket Rocket stove. $40 3oz
http://m.rei.com/mt/www.rei.com/product/660163/msr-pocket-rocket-backpacking-stove

Henley shirt and six pocket pants. Polyester blend (no cotton) light weight and worked awesome for me last year. $32 for the shirt. $49 for the pants. Again did AWESOME!

Shirt
http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/sportsmans/Sportsmans-Warehouse-CCT-Henley-Long-Sleeve/productDetail/Mens-Camo-Shirts-and-Tops/prod9999010559/cat114741

Pants
http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/...nting-Pants-and-Bibs/prod9999010561/cat112201

Also check out Russell Outdoor gear they make some good and affordable stuff as well.

Camelback Stow Away 100oz reservoir won't find better. Insulated tube and reservoir. I used this as a pillow in Iraq. Very durable. I still have it 8 years later. $45
http://m.rei.com/mt/www.rei.com/product/833708/camelbak-stoaway-100-reservoir

All of this will put you right at $700. So you will have $300 extra to put towards a good pack and boots. The pack and boots IMHO are the two most important things. I recommend you save up for a Mystery Ranch pack. If you don't want to spend that much then get the Bighorn Combo or Compact Frame Combo (dependent on your height and build) they are Made in the USA and is made by Wilderness Pack specialties. The frame is awesome. I've carried 90lbs for 4 miles and it felt as good as any pack I have tried. The bag is 3,000 cubic inches, has a built in gun/bow scabbard. A quality product for $300. This will be your best bang for the buck IMHO.
http://www.wildernesspacks.com/big-horn-combo

Rain Gear? Get a poncho and call it good. Or buy the cheapest stuff cabelas has. The reality is if its raining that hard your sitting in a tent playing cards.
]

I'll respectfully disagree on this one. I'm not saying you need to spend $400 on rain gear but skimping by using a poncho is bad advice. Maybe I'm in the minority here but I''ve hunted many days in drizzling rain and downpours. Usually you can still hunt as long as visibility isn't so limited. Being wet on a hunt because of either no rain gear or cheap crap will ruin the experience and on some hunts could kill you. I will spend more on my rain gear than some sort of Under Armour clothing that will supposedly make me hunt in Beast Mode. I prefer being dry and able to continue my hunts especially if they are multi day trips.

Some hunts I've been on require 6 hours hiking to get to the first camp spot. We haven't ever just stopped because it's raining and set up the tent before getting to that point. Staying dry will allow you more comfortably do that.

Thanks for the advice again. Really enjoying how helpful people are on here all the time. I try to return the favor whenever I can to others. If anyone that has offered help here or does ever needs any help in something I can assist with I will be glad to assist.
Looking forward to getting all this stuff reviewed by myself as well.

Lawnboy I agree. If your hunting in the Northwest or in Alaska then you NEED expensive high quality rain gear. But the original poster said most of his hunting is mule deer in Nevada. If your hunting in a desert rain gear can be skimped on. If it rains there it rains hard but not long. Then its hot and sunny again. This is just my $.02

Huntbux no problem. Glad I can help. You definately don't have to break the bank to get useful quality gear. Check out campmor and search around on products you like and then check all the online classifieds to get a good deal.

Lawnboy I agree. If your hunting in the Northwest or in Alaska then you NEED expensive high quality rain gear. But the original poster said most of his hunting is mule deer in Nevada. If your hunting in a desert rain gear can be skimped on. If it rains there it rains hard but not long. Then its hot and sunny again. This is just my $.02

I've never hunted desert conditions so I can appreciate your point. I don't like my clothes or my lettuce soggy :D

I'll agree with Lawnboy considering that the question is regarding back country hunts out of a backpack. My reason is that IME is that it can be difficult to get things dried out appropriately. Without a heated shelter it can get difficult to get everything dry and good rain gear can prevent that. In the desert states, fall often brings nearly daily monsoonal showers and depending on elevation snow. Staying dry and out is better than beating feet back to your tent or relying on a poncho, IMO.

IMO, that's some of the beauty of todays good rain gear. It is breathable and quiet enough to be worn at times other than a complete downpour. I've worn mine more often to cut the wind than the rain and prefer to pack one piece of gear instead of two. YMMV...

You both bring up excellant points. But if your hunting in the desert you don't need top of the line rain gear. I would rather spend the money on quality boots and a pack, which he will use a lot, rather than on gear that more than likely won't be used. I have Frog Toggs gear that I have had since 2008 and have yet to use. And I hunt exclusively in the Northwest. You can get deceny rain gear for pretty cheap.

It seems that I have left some info out that has created some unclear thoughts and comments. I have been hunting for 13 years now.
I have 3 pairs of boots. Under Armour Speed Freak, Rocky Lynx Waterproof, Rocky Sport Utlity steel toe (dont really use) . I have the Blacks Creek Canadian pack as listed prior in the conversation. I have a lot of different camo's and other hunting supplies. Nikon optics and such etc. I am mainly looking to purchase the necessary backpacking products. Tent, Sleeping bag/pad, cooking system, (new pack)?, etc.
Appreciate all the help and hope that clears things up better.

If your hunting in the Northwest or in Alaska then you NEED expensive high quality rain gear.

I found this gear a couple years ago, and have since bought 3 extra sets (lifetime supply). Stuff is bullet proof, 100% water proof, light weight and dries very quick. Coat and pants cost me $90 together.

http://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/or-gear/jackets/shells/rampart-jacket-m-s.html

I don't find myself getting any more or less sweaty in this gear than the 'breathable' crap. I've not had good luck with breathable rain gear. YMMV.

I don't get hung up on my gear being quiet, but I don't bow hunt much anymore either.

Keeps it entertaining. Also keeps moving the post back to the top lol. More info I get!

Keeps it entertaining. Also keeps moving the post back to the top lol. More info I get!

Here is my gear list, Alberta Canada hunting

Hunting
Item Description Weights at bottom-

Hunting Pack - Stone Glacier sky 7400 with meat shelf- 4.75 lb
Gun - Kimber 270wsm with kahles 3-10 x 50 and tally rings/bases 7.1 lb
Food mountain house 8 days lunch and dinners 137.6oz 8.6 lb
Tent - tigoat 7.5 carbon pole with titanium Medium stove 4.1lb Tent and 2.8 wood stove
Spotting scope - Swarovski CT 85 with cabon fiber tripod 82.08oz 5.13.6 lb
Binoculars - Zeiss conquest 15x45 21.9oz 1.36lb
Sleeping Bag - Big Agnes Moon hill 33.92oz 2.12lb
Sleeping pad - Thermarest Neoair and foam pad 20 oz 1.2lb
Stove - Jet boil sumo titanium with 2 cans fuel (100 gram ) 1.3 lb
Eating items 2 titanium long spoons with titanium 650 ml cups
Camo - Sitkka downpour pant/ jacket, kelvin pant / jacket 84.48oz 5.28lb
Camera - Panasonic lumix HD w/ batteries 16oz 1. lb
Salt - 1 box Salt 35.2oz 2.2 lb
Knives - victorinox paring and Havalon Piranta Skinning Knife with 12 blades 0.6oz .037lb
Water Aluminum bottle - 1.5 L full 35.2oz 2.2lb
liner Sea to Summit Thermal Reactor (15°) 8.5oz .53lb
Range Finder - Swarovski 1500 yard 13.65oz .853lb
Misc Clothes socks (3), underware( 5), t shirt (3) 20oz 1.25 lb
1st aid kit Bandaids, matches, tylenol tabs, toridol tabs 0.35oz .0218lb
Saw - what a saw with meat blade and 2 wood blades 19.2oz 1.2 lb
Headlamp - Saint minimus w/batteries head lamp 3.4oz .212lb
Rope - 20 ft General use and tying items onto pack 0.3oz .187 lb
Toilet Paper - baby wipes 1 plastic box, can also let these dry to save weight 8.6oz .537 lb
Can split weight between two guys ie tent stove, food

Total Weight - Weight – 50 lb 6 ounces

For a pad I use the Big Agnes IAC pad. Sleeping bag is a Marmot Sawtooth 15 degree. Look on Sierra Trading Post, they have a Sierra Designs down bag (15 degrees) for a really good price.

For a tent, I got a BA Seedhouse 2 for about 170 bucks. Shop around, I think I got mine on Ebay.

Watch for REI's Memorial Day sale. I got a Snowpeak titanium cup/gigapower stove set for about 60 bucks or so. I picked up a Katadyn Pro Hiker on sale for about 60 bucks also.

Also, go to Backpacking Light forums and look through their classifieds. Those guys are nuts and are always upgrading gear.

You know NV better than I do, but I think I would forego the rain gear for now and get the other stuff.
Welcome to the Forum.

Stick around and maybe you'll learn some stuff about hunting.

I would strongly suggest spending some money on some decent rain gear and I would make sure it's not a poncho. Just imagine stalking a bull or buck with a poncho on a windy ridge. Too much loose material that can get caught on trees, your bow, or turn into a windsock when you're at full draw. There's plenty of stuff out there that will keep you dry, is quiet, and breathable.
I rifle hunt but am still new to elk hunting. I got started last fall and will be going to Montana this year. I'm currently considering upgrading either my rain gear, or my backpack. Which would you consider to be more important to upgrade first? I might only be able to do one before the trip.

I rifle hunt but am still new to elk hunting. I got started last fall and will be going to Montana this year. I'm currently considering upgrading either my rain gear, or my backpack. Which would you consider to be more important to upgrade first? I might only be able to do one before the trip.
I’d upgrade your pack or boots before rain gear… dress smart in layers you’ll be fine on clothes.. unless you’re from like Florida. Then you might buy clothes FROM here for here.

I’d upgrade your pack or boots before rain gear… dress smart in layers you’ll be fine on clothes.. unless you’re from like Florida. Then you might buy clothes FROM here for here.
I bought some good Crispi boots last fall. When starting out I prioritized feet and sleeping...so those items I didn't skimp on. I have good quality merino and KUIU down layers and KUIU outer layers so you are probably right that the layers should get me by. I'll have to spend some time researching packs.

I bought some good Crispi boots last fall. When starting out I prioritized feet and sleeping...so those items I didn't skimp on. I have good quality merino and KUIU down layers and KUIU outer layers so you are probably right that the layers should get me by. I'll have to spend some time researching packs.
Mystery ranch and stone glacier is right here in Bozeman, it’d be the pits to get here and they don’t have the model or size you want, but if’n you wanted to get it straight from the source…

Mystery ranch and stone glacier is right here in Bozeman, it’d be the pits to get here and they don’t have the model or size you want, but if’n you wanted to get it straight from the source…
I'll be flying into Bozeman so I'll check the local stores out. I'll definitely have something before I get there though

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back