Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Atvs worth it?

Jbhunt51

We're heading to unit 12 Colorado for elk in the 2nd season this fall. Coming from Michigan and have never hunted the western states before. Is it worth bringing at atvs with us . Looking at hunting mostly national forests and some blm land. I know that to have success we need to get away from the crowds and that means on foot but can we travel from point a to b on atvs.

If you have them already, I would bring them. Some forest service roads here are in good shape, and others are incredibly rough. It would suck to inflict major damage on your pickup on one of the rough roads and then have to pay to get it towed out, or delay returning home waiting to have it repaired. But you are correct in your thinking that you need to get off and walk once you get to your hunting area if you want to be successful on public land in the 2nd season.

They can be great to get around rough FS roads, but even if you are still planning to hike ATVs make considerably more noise than a truck and can put animals on alert that wouldn't be with a truck.

Look at the maps closely. I used to hunt an area in Colorado that had very little access other than main roads. Most had been shut off (which helped the hunting immensely). If that is the case, then leave it home.

If there are lots of open roads, then they will help you get in and out-especially if it gets muddy.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Just trying to get our ducks in a row as early as possible.

You'll need a $25.25 CO permit for every atv you operate on public land. cpw.state.co.us/bg/OHVpermit
CO big game atlas has an MVUM overlay that shows trails legal for atvs as dotted lines.
http://ndismaps.nrel.colostate.edu/index.html?app=HuntingAtlas
Those maps do not show BLM atv access, only USFS.
ATV weapon carry rule, illegal to:
Carry firearms (except handguns) on an OHV
during deer, elk, pronghorn and bear seasons
unless they are unloaded in the chamber and
magazine. Firearms (except handguns) and
bows carried on an OHV must be fully enclosed
in a hard or soft case. Scabbards or cases with
open ends or sides are prohibited.

I have no knowledge of Co, but I did form an opinion on atvs last year on my first muley hunt. If there are more than two people going in the same vehicle, its a great way to be able to hunt more country without taking two trucks. We had two guys back out, but if they hadn't one truck would not have been as easy. With an atv, we could have divided forces for scouting and been able to access an area I was scared to attempt in the truck. Good luck

Wouldn't own or use one on a bet. Course, probly not news to most here. mtmuley

Wouldn't own or use one on a bet. Course, probly not news to most here. mtmuley

I'm with mtmuley on this one.
They have become a nuisance because of those people who don't use them legally by staying on established roads.
Yes once again a few bad apples make everyone look bad.

I have seen in 10 years of hunting Colorado BLM lands the abuse by them. The BLM does nothing to stop it. I use one to travel unmaintained roads as not to destroy my truck while out there. I don't go off on trails etc though but most do.

Hmmm.... ATV? no. UTV? yes.

I have a side x side now. They are valuable as all heck.

pre atv/utv days, I crawled my truck along some ugly roads to the start hunt locations... extremely slow and significantly much more potential to damage my general use vehicle. The utv saves my, "oh sh!t" factor, routes me to my start location for the hunt 3x's+ quicker, spares the side panels of my truck, keeps me from swapping out a tire and dramatically increases my chance to not break the truck that I generally use.

Add the fantastic opportunity to use as a shuttle vehicle... and yes, w/o a doubt atv's and utv's are fantastic tools. To hike over a mountain or two and have another vehicle waiting on the other side is a God send - especially if you get something down!

Atv's, I personally find, are a bit deceptive. They are almost in the same category as a motorcycle with respect to safety. It is not a matter of if, it is a matter of when you are going to wreck. Atv's present opportunities that may unknowingly exceed the rider's ability. In a nutshell, a false sense of security, until it is too late. Whereas a utv, in my opinion, retains a bit of vehicle operation respect. Utv's are much more versatile and simplify the transport of supplies, game and passengers.

Hmmm.... ATV? no. UTV? yes.

I have a side x side now. They are valuable as all heck.

pre atv/utv days, I crawled my truck along some ugly roads to the start hunt locations... extremely slow and significantly much more potential to damage my general use vehicle. The utv saves my, "oh sh!t" factor, routes me to my start location for the hunt 3x's+ quicker, spares the side panels of my truck, keeps me from swapping out a tire and dramatically increases my chance to not break the truck that I generally use.

Add the fantastic opportunity to use as a shuttle vehicle... and yes, w/o a doubt atv's and utv's are fantastic tools. To hike over a mountain or two and have another vehicle waiting on the other side is a God send - especially if you get something down!

Atv's, I personally find, are a bit deceptive. They are almost in the same category as a motorcycle with respect to safety. It is not a matter of if, it is a matter of when you are going to wreck. Atv's present opportunities that may unknowingly exceed the rider's ability. In a nutshell, a false sense of security, until it is too late. Whereas a utv, in my opinion, retains a bit of vehicle operation respect. Utv's are much more versatile and simplify the transport of supplies, game and passengers.

Correct. I have used my Kawasaki Mule on a few hunts and it saved a lot of pounding on my truck. I use it almost daily around my place and do some custom spraying work with it in the spring. I would not be without one.

That being said, I have done far more hunts without it, than with it. My boots took most of the pounding.

I have a Yamaha Rhino. I use it to get to my planned hunt area, then proceed on foot. I'm old, my hips & knees are shot and if not for the UTV, my hunting would be severely curtailed if not ended.

It would have been nice to have one this past fall on my Wy Lope/Deer hunt. Hit a part of road leading back to a Large BLM tract that was just too washed out for my F150. An ATV would have let me get on back w/o a hitch. Missed hunting a huge tract of land I'd planned on.

I have been thinking, the unthinkable for me........getting an atv for the ranch and elk recovery.
I use them when we work cattle now here once in a while.
I'm not the horseman or athelete I once was.
...................But they sure spook elk in my local observations.

If I'm not mistaken, most UTV's are illegal on federal land. Don't they still have a 50" max width. I hunt on foot so I haven't noticed if the rule is the same still

I think 95% of ATV use is a result of being lazy or with the intention of going places they aren't supposed to go.

If you have an offroad capable truck you aren't loosing much except a bit of offroad speed which doesn't matter if you camp as far in as you can drive and walk from there. They become more viable if you have a more hauling oriented 3/4 or 1 ton truck that likely isn't very good offroad. There are a limited number of places where maximum width roads allow better access than a truck.

Generally speaking I don't want to hunt around hunters using ATV's a lot because my in the field experience has not often painted them as particularly law abiding or considerate.

ATV's are useful for recovering game on private land, but once again so is a decent offroad pick up truck.

Last edited:
I have been thinking, the unthinkable for me........getting an atv for the ranch and elk recovery.
I use them when we work cattle now here once in a while.
I'm not the horseman or athelete I once was.
...................But they sure spook elk in my local observations.

Get a side by side and you will be much happier. You will not believe how much you will use it around the place. They are great if you live near old logging roads etc., too, as they sure save the pounding on an expensive truck.

They aren't cheap, but you could buy three for the price of a new truck now.

Back