ATV's out of control

Ten Bears said:
Once again, BUZZ posts without having all the FACTS. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D ;)

Once again, Ten Beers skips school.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Don't you realize how important it is for you to regularly attend classes??? Third Grade is a very important step in your edjumacation.

You don't want to grow up to be like ringer do you??? |oo

OK, no off-road or off-trail. I will go out on a limb and assume they are not referring to game trails or hiking trails. I would even goes as far as to assume they are referring to trails specific for vehiclular travel. Fine.

What I am saying, if your elk didn't die on a vehicular road or trail then you better be packing. I may be wrong, but I guess that is between you and the LE.

After looking at the pictures of the truck and the cow elk in the Tonto, I'm amazed that any hunter would think it was neccessary to drive a vehicle right up to it. I woulda grabbed it by the ear and dragged it to the nearest road. Look at that flat terrain!

Those AZ hunters better stay outta Idaho if they can't deal with game out in the flats like that! Imagine thinking they have to be able to drive right up to every little cous deer they shoot! :rolleyes:

Current (and Future Proposed) Status of ATV use in Arizona

To retrieve legally downed game(other than wilderness or other site specific areas):

Arizona State Trust Lands--LEGAL Page 4 http://www.azgfd.org/pdfs/outdoor_recreation/atv_brochure.pdf.

Apache-Sitgreaves National Forest--LEGAL Page 3 http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/ohv/deis/asnf-amend.pdf

Coconino National Forest--LEGAL Page 5 http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/ohv/deis/coc-amend.pdf

Kaibab National Forest--LEGAL Page 4 http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/ohv/deis/kaibab-amend.pdf

Prescott National Forest--LEGAL Page 4 http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/ohv/deis/prescott-amend.pdf

Tonto National Forest and Coronado National Forest--Not Clearly Stated Calling their office reveals it is legal to retrieve legally downed game and if part of the USDA Southwestern Region then it clearly is legal according to the following (http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/ohv/faq/index.shtml#question16):

What exceptions for cross-country travel would be allowed under this proposal?
The following exceptions allowing cross-country travel would apply unless currently restricted by a site-specific analysis and decision:

-Motorized wheeled cross-country travel for camping would be permissible within 300 feet of roads and trails by the most direct route after site selection by non-motorized means. This exception does not apply where existing seasonal restrictions prohibit traveling off designated routes to a campsite. This could be modified through subsequent site specific planning.
-Motorized wheeled cross-country travel for personal use permits, such as firewood and Christmas tree cutting, could be allowed at the local level (FS ranger district) in specific areas identified for such uses.
-Motorized wheeled cross-country travel by the most direct route would be allowed to retrieve a legally tagged big game animal other than turkey or javelina. Through subsequent site-specific planning big game retrieval could be restricted.
-Motorized wheeled cross-country travel would be allowed for any military, fire, search and rescue, or law enforcement vehicle used for emergency purposes.
-Motorized wheeled cross-country travel for Forest Service official administrative business would be allowed.
-Motorized wheeled cross-country travel for lessees and permittees, to administer federal leases or permits would be allowed within the terms of the permit, unless specifically prohibited by other specific closures.

Thanks for pointing out the rules to everyone. We need better enforecement and maybe raising non-resident hunting and fishing fees can cover the extra costs of patrolling our 12 million acres of YOUR national forest. I don't own an ATV but in my research I noticed a study that said 52% of Idaho hunters use ATV's. It looks likes a majority of Idaho hunters are fat assed ATV riders and unfortunately you guys are in the minority. Good luck and happy hunting.

Thanks CFREE. Looks like IT/BUZZ/even MTMILLER got a little schoolin' here today.

Looks like not only is BUZZ posting without all the FACTS, so is IT & EG. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D :D |oo |oo |oo

Thanks to my attorney for clearing this up. Oh, what's an ass clown? If it's an old dude who plays the banjo while bending know it alls over a log I just might be one. hump ROTFLMAO!! :D

This whole thread is great...really shows the selective reading skills the ATVers have, and how they like to address the CURRENT rules with 2-year old proposals.

It would sure be fun to be an LEO down there...you'd need a case of ink pens...

Ten Brews,

Why don't you hurry and hop on your Schwinn and ride to school. Maybe your third grade teacher will help you look up the word "proposal"...

CURRENT STATUS: EIS decision expected in September.
OFF-HIGHWAY VEHICLE POLICY
The policy for driving motorized vehicles on this National Forest is tied to the State of Arizona's motor vehicle policy. On all state, county, and those forest roads marked by a horizontally-numbered route marker (ie 249), the motorized vehicle and its driver must be "street legal." On unmarked forest roads or forest roads that are marked by a vertical route number, then the driver and the vehicle do not need to be licensed. Driving off of forest roads is not encouraged but may be legal if no damage is done to plants or soils or if wildlife is not harassed and if a muffler/spark arrestor is in place.
http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/ohv/index.shtml
|oo |oo

ringer-sorry about the "ass-clown" comment. Probably not appropriate and I am still unsure where I came up with the word. :D

Anyway, I guess my point is you jumped into this with both feet and don't seem to know much about the topic and did a poor job of defending anything. You stated you made some phone calls, which you probably did, but I don't thin kthat give you much of a leg to stand up on. Misinformation occurs all the time when you call these folks (not different in what happens at my office). Either the caller misunderstood or wrong information was given by the office.

Although I am not sold on what cfree came up with (specifically because it was only proposed). I have to give him props for doing the research.

Ten brews..."MAY BE LEGAL"...

It isnt legal on many NF's as Miller has pointed out...

Having trouble with your comprehension again?

No offense taken as I am sure I do qualify as one. It has been funny to me and I rarely take an ATV to a hunt. Havent for about 5 years. I do know that hunters including outfitters here and New Mexico take them off the main roads to get an animal. Maybe it is just accepted by the local G&F and NF employees as OK and that is why they tell people it's OK. You really should write an e-mail to the NF offices so you could reprint their response here and enlighten us all as it is common practice here. Later.

MAY BE LEGAL, doesn't mean ALWAYS ILLEGAL as you (BUZZ) portray either.

Here is a response emailed to me today from a friend. He is considering putting in to hunt in AZ, and was requesting a link to an e-map, and ATV info.

Subject
Re: Fw: Game retrieval?(Document
link: Vincent M Picard)

No we don't have this type map yet. Currently, he can go off highway
to
retrieve BIG game as defined by AZGF. Currently he can ride his ATV on
existing roads and trails. Any route that is maintained by a local
government, a county or the State means he must have his ATV licensed
through DMV. These conditions may change as we progress with OHV
management.

If he has further questions, I'll gladly talk to him.

Thanx,

Tammy Pike
OHV Coordinator, Tonto National Forest
><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>
Phone: (602) 225-5235 Fax: (602) 225-5295
email: [email protected]

I know the difference between reading good information, and trying to mislead everyone with partial or misleading information.

That is interesting Ten Bears. Kind of funny, I also emailed Vincent Picard this morning and still haven't received a response. :D

Hopefully he also forwarded the message to Ms. Pike.

ASS CLOWN.... thats from Office Space, When he was talking about Michael Bolton, calling him a "Non Talent ASS CLOWN".... a Fetching clASSic !!!!!!

I still don't get why it's so hard to just drag your animal to the nearest road! Why the hell do you need to drive to it??? What's so hard about that? Hell, I'm short, fat, and out of shape and have to hunt with guys like miller to keep me hiking up the hill, but I don't have to drive off road to pick up my animals.

TB- How can one drive off a road without damaging plants, soils, or wildlife?

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moko
Back