PEAX Equipment

ATV's out of control

milshooter

This is my first year hunting public land near where I live. So this is what I have seen and what lazy hunters do. The other day I was doing some scouting and low and behold here came a ATV in an area where he wasn't supposed to be. This is not a unusual circumstance. This is a noomal thing out there and most of the offenders are cityslickers and out of towners. Why should they care about this? It is simple if this continues we will not have access tothese public hunting lands. These lazy hunters is what makes it hard on us few that enjoy the outdoors and dont need an ATV to get us there. The land is very accessable so there is no reason to go off the trail to get to the stand. All I can say is get your butt off that ATV and walk cause we can all afford to lose some weight.

milshooter

Milo- Imagine if nearly 1/3 (or more) of your state was treated that way by that same user group?

Now hold on there Milo ,
Yes they may be inconsiderate A-hole flathead cityslickers , but some of them spend hours getting in shape for hunting season . Thumb exercises , handle bar grip workouts and hours of rigorous training in front of the TV watching slob hunter videos . With proper training they can actually watch their asses grow while hunting .

Another successful ATV riding hunter..... Check out my pictures in the Deer Forum under Hey BUZZ...... I will say that while the deer was shot within 80 yards of the ATV Trail, the reason you only see the head and hise is because I "packed" the deer back to the ATV. I skinned it, halfed it, and "packed" it to the ATV (our country isn't as flat and accessable as many on this board). I didn't have a camera with me during the hunt, and had already got the meat to the walkin before I got a camera.

I would like anybody to prove that I am either a SLOB or LAZY. I recover more meat from the field with my method of hunting then MOST. I recover the WHOLE animal, sans the intestinal package, and take time cutting and boning out the critter right. I have come across many "backwoods" boning jobs (on elk) that leave 30 -40 pounds of rib, neck, and even tenderlion (inside the ribs) in the woods.

Ten,

That is the ONLY way to do it. We don't even try to move an elk anymore without boning it. WAY too much work the other way.

Ten Bears said:
. I have come across many "backwoods" boning jobs (on elk) that leave 30 -40 pounds of rib, neck, and even tenderlion (inside the ribs) in the woods.

and could you prove that those hunters were NOT also ATV riders?

I am 53 years old and had my first ATV experience on Tuesday. Hunting private property with a friend and his family that all ride quads back to their stands. The longest ride is about 3/4 of a mile. The trails they have made are nothing but swampy muddy ruts, that channel rain water. I walked back to the stand I was to hunt, all I had to do was follow the quad trails. Walking back to the camp at the end of the day, one of the hunters came across me and told me to jump on, no sense walking when I could ride. It was the end of the day, dark, cold and tired, I got on. 5 minutes later we were both rolling down a hill with packs and guns on our backs and a big ol Quad rolling behind us. He hit a side incline at the wrong angle and over we went. No one was injured other than bruises and a sprained ankle. But I think I will continue to walk to my spots. This experience especially seeing the condition of the trails didn't change my attitude towards ATVers. The trails get so muddy they can't get their 4 wheel drive quads up them, so they move over making the trails wider and wider. Granted its thier property and they can ruin it if they want, but what about the damage downstream.

I'm glad to hear you survived! :D Thanks for noticing the environmental impact. Out here in the West I believe we're seeing so much erosion from off road vehicles in some areas that it's affecting water quality. Next thing will be damage to spawning beds from mud and silt. If your friends were on public land do you suppose they'd be any more concerned about the damage they are causing?

Ithaca, I don't beleive it would matter to them. They don't have that far to walk to there stands but they insist on riding to them, parking underneath, and riding back. The property they own is only 45 acres, they never leave their property on their quads. You can imagine how bad everything is chewed up. 5 quads up, 5 quads down, 4 trips a day. They go up in the morning, back for lunch, then back after lunch, and of course back down at the end of the day. 20 trips a day does alot of damage.
Like the old commercial says...we all live downstream.

Snake, they don't litter, which is what I envision when you say "slobs". Lazy, yes, don't care or don't understand the damage they are doing, right again. Litter bugs they ain. other than that they were pretty nice people. But I doubt I will go back again next year. The whole atv thing turned me off.

Whiskers said:
Snake, they don't litter, which is what I envision when you say "slobs". Lazy, yes, don't care or don't understand the damage they are doing, right again. Litter bugs they ain. other than that they were pretty nice people. But I doubt I will go back again next year. The whole atv thing turned me off.
To my mind a slob is any person who leaves a mess behind them. :MAD I want my wilderness to be litter AND rut free.

SRR, then have a nice time in the Frank Church, or even the Mallard Larkins. I never said that they were not slob or lazy. I said I would like any of you to prove that I was a SLOB or LAZY.

Yes, I can prove that those that left the elk were not ATV riders. :mad: I have turned the information over to fishcop, and he has a good lead as to who it was.

Ive posted this before and all off the "Davy Crockets" that post here have ignored it....When i kill an elk i go pick it up in my truck and No meat is wasted even my 2 dogs get the meat off of the bones.. they love those huge leg bones and rib and spine sections..[ i freeze them ] and everythig else. But according to the Daniel Boones i can`t legally go off road to retrieve my legaly downed game SO which is it? All of these ATV`s are Ruining everything by driving off road [Illegally} Or lots of hunters are "wasting" game meat ...which in Arizona is a Game and Fish violation..'

cjcj, I don't live where most of you guys live. The county I live in, has more people than the entire state of Wyoming. I can see going in with a 4 wheeler or a pickup to retreive an Elk, Moose, Bear, or big deer. What I was refering to is guys with 45 acres, the longest walk being about 3/4 of a mile using ATV's to get to the stand. They are older guys like I am, I could even understand a sometime use to drag deer out or haul stand material in. But to scar the land as badly as they have because they are too lazy to walk is ridiculious.
Snake, point made and agreed with.

cjcj,

Driving off road to pick up an elk is a violation on a vast majority of public lands in AZ, so are you illegal? Which is it?

Are you saying its not possible to pack an elk out and not waste meat?

Thats your defense of ATV's for hunting???

What a clown.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caleb_u
Back