ATV's out of control

Whiskers i agree with your post...Buzz your an Idiot..you lost that offroad argument ...you just can`t /won`t admit it....I`m not going thru all the trouble to "school" you again... and YES Buzz its an absolute "fact" that if you are way,way, back in the boonies you are not going to bring out 100% of an elk...You might Bullshit others but you can`t bullshit me...and i don`t have a problem with your half-ass boning job..you can leave the heart/liver/hide/head/ and the entire skeleton for the Birds and coyotes...thats your choice... but don`t be an ASSCLOWN.. [your new BUZZword] to people who legaly go offroad on a pickup or ATV to legaly retrieve their elk.

CJCJ- According to the Arizona Fish and Game and USDA there are areas in Arizona that you can legally go off-road. However, there are a lot of areas you can not. According to the Tread Lightly Program which is supported by the Forest Service and the Arizona Fish and Game, a person should restrict their use of atv's in areas that may be harmful to habitat. "A resource that is sometimes overlooked and that is difficult to quantify, is "solitude" (or lack of disturbance). Many species of wildlife have negative (flight or fight) reactions to approaching noises, including OHVs." The Fish and Game may give a person a ticket for disturbing wildlife thus an atv being illegal in these areas. It is highly recommended by the AZFG to educate yourself in the area you are going to use an atv or off-road vehicle.

There are only 4 designated areas that the AZFG recommend to use ATV's. All other areas should be looked at closely before going off road.

Cinder Hills OHV Area
Near Flagstaff, is a 13,500 acre OHV area. There is both open riding and miles of single track trails. Dispersed camping is allowed but there are no facilities such as water or restrooms. To get to the Cinder Hills OHV Area, take U.S. Highway 89 north from Flagstaff. Approximately 3/4 mile past milepost 426 turn east on Forest Service Road 776 and follow the signs. More information on the Cinder Hills OHV Area can be obtained by contacting the Coconino National Forest, Peaks Ranger District, 5075 N. Highway 89, Flagstaff, AZ 86004. Phone (520) 526-0866.

Hayfield Draw OHV Area
Near Cottonwood, provides a "tot lot" for beginners, a motocross track, 40 acres of open riding and over 120 miles of trails with the longest trail over fifty miles long. The staging area is south of U.S. Highway 260, approximately 5 1/2 miles west of I-17. Contact the Prescott National Forest, Verde Ranger District, P.O. Box 670, (300 East Highway 260), Camp Verde, AZ 86322, for further information. Phone (520) 567-4121. ATV trails also exist on the Apache-Sitgreaves, Tonto and Coronado National Forests.

The Eherenburg Sandbowl OHV Area
The BLM has several areas along the Colorado River and this area offers a 2,000 acre dune system surrounded by additional designated routes. To the north on the Parker Strip are Crossroads and Copper Basin Dunes OHV areas which offer challenging desert driving. For more information on OHV opportunities in the Yuma District contact the Bureau of Land Management, 2555 East Gila Ridge Road, Yuma, AZ 85365. Phone (520) 371-3200.

Hot Wells Dunes Recreation Area
This 2,000 acre area of rolling sand dunes offers an open riding area for OHV's. There are low, sparsely vegetated dunes for those preferring a slower paced ride, while several larger dunes provide challenges for the more adventurous riders. The area gets it's name from an artisan well that produces 250 gallons of hot water per minute. Facilities include developed campsites, toilets, fire grills, and of course, hot tubs. From Safford, travel 7 miles east on Highway 70 and turn south on Haekel Road. Hot Wells is 25 miles. For more information contact the BLM Safford District Office at (520) 348-4400.

Matt you are talking about "offroad travel" which is illegal in most areas "Except for Retrieving legaly killed big game".. yes your right you cannot drive around offroad to hunt. and i don`t know anyone who does... but you can in plenty of areas to pick up your killed big game [State trust land etc.] I don`t have time to go over this subject again... we already beat it to death. [see archives]

I guess the article the fish and game wrote on their web page must be a big old lie then. It restricts all use to designated areas or trails. It also designates the USE of atv's to areas that will not be harmful to habitat. I did a simple search on the AZFG website to get this information. It is always illegal to hunt from an atv, that is correct!

I wish I could remember the topic title where we discussed ATV use in AZ for retreiving game. Matt would find it very interesting. Anyone able to find it? If I were in AZ I wouldn't dare go off a road or trail anywhere with an ATV.

cjcj, you didnt "school" anyone in the last debate. All you did was solidify the fact that 99% of ATV'ers operate their machines without knowledge of the rules or laws.

If you need clarification please contact the BLM, FS, or State lands offices...they have people there who will be more than happy to explain the laws and rules to you.

As to bringing out 100% of the elk....I havent left but half an elk hide in the woods for a long time (the capes are worth packing out to sell, so I always pack them out). I do admit that I've been "guilty" of leaving the guts, bones, legs below the knee, and most of the skull. It makes no sense to bring that stuff home to throw it in the garbage.

Buzz you should know by now that i don`t own an ATV..never did..Just that they are a tool like anything else. and when used llegaly and properly.. i don`t have a problem .. i have a problem with poachers,a- holes, hunters/4x4 drivers etc. whatever, who don`t follow the rules or obey the law... I do and thats all there is to it ..When i hunt i Always no where i am . and what i`m doing....so if you are a ATV Homophobic.. thats your problem . I am not i fan of anyone on anything that tears up the land whether legal or illegal....and if i see something illegal i will report it....you out of staters don`t know 1/2 as much about AZ as i do..so get over it..you can look at your maps and guess.. i`m here with the same maps. but i`m standing on real solid ground ... i`m actualy in AZ see the differance?....i wouldn`t even begin to try to tell anyone from Montana/Idaho/Wyoming or any other state "how things are" without living in the Hood.

MattK said:
I guess the article the fish and game wrote on their web page must be a big old lie then. It restricts all use to designated areas or trails. It also designates the USE of atv's to areas that will not be harmful to habitat. I did a simple search on the AZFG website to get this information. It is always illegal to hunt from an atv, that is correct!
Matt can`t you see what you are writing? YES its illegal to hunt from an ATV [exception CHAMP permit] no one is arguing that point its generaly illegal to hunt from any vehicle OK?..[yes there exceptions]...I`m not going to do your research for you....i hope you can find the thread Ithaca was talking about [the one we beat to death] it will give you all of the arguments for and against "offroad travel" and even the A.R.S. statutes for retrieving big game off road [where applicable] state trust land etc.etc....

.Sorry but i get tired of some of the same worn out stuff

If you want to be fair to yourself read the whole thing...try to wade through the bullshit, outright lies, and deception [both sides]...damn i`m tired from just thinking about that...did it set a record for ATV stuff?

Well the brief time I had to hunt today I saw 3 ATV's on public lands and numerous others on private land. I did not have batteries in my camera(short story I took them out yesterday for the boy's wrestling tournement to use for cam corder) to take any pics of the illegal SOB"s . Why was the ones on private illegal? They was shooting from the ATV.

This was all the local people around that area of course. (No trucks that carried atv's and no trailers to be seen) No LEO's around either. Just people being lazy SOB's.

Do I blame the ATV....no. Just the lack of education from the manufacturers.

No worries Nut , detective Ten Beers is on the case .
Since he killed that old whitetail (which resulted in him having to buy a whitetail tag no doubt ) he's been out tracking down illegal ATV/Offroaders !

That's still one of your best Ten .

It reminds me of OJ out tracking down Ron & Nicoles real killer .

Did TEN Bears break any laws? Was he unethical?.......If not Whats the problem [with TEN BEARS} not the other lawbreaking jerks....these jerks would probably be tearing it up on a dirt bike or a big 4x4 if they didn`t have a Quad.

Here's my last experience with a jackass on an atv. Last spring I was bear hunting in a gated road complex in N. W. Montana. One day a guy came putting along on his atv. He wasn't hunting but had a small chain saw and fishing pole on board. I don't know where he was planning on fishing because the nearest fishable water was about 20 miles away. He claimed that the gate was open. I told him he was mistaken. This area had year round motorized veh. closer, and that he needed to consult his forest use map a little better next time. I told him that the fines for what he was doing were considerable and that he had better turn around imediately. He told me to "lighten up a bit". I told him " that I didn't backpack all the way in there to have some asshole on an atv F--k up my hunt", and that I was starting to lose my good humour.

It's seems to me that bad behavior amongst atv users whether they are hunting, fishing, or just tearing up the countryside is becoming the rule rather than the exception. Atver's better start policing their ranks a lot better if they want to continue to use public land.

Paul

Nut said:
Do I blame the ATV....no. Just the lack of education from the manufacturers.

Why should the Manufacturers be responsible? Should people who manufacture Guns be responsible for murders committed with their weapon or for people who poach with their weapon? That's one of the most ignorant things I've read!

I think what Nut meant to say was "lack of any education what-so-ever by the assclowns who own ATV's".

I think the atv commercials that are put out by the manufactures are part of the problem. Some guy ripping up and down some mountain flinging mud and rocks. COOL! Funny how they edit out the sound on every commercial. Then some dipshit buys one and gets mad when he finds out there are rules to riding an atv. The manufacturer should be the first to promote ethical riding, starting with their sales pitches. I have yet to see a gun advertisement promoting unethical gun use. My .02 cents.

Big horny ..I have to agree with ya...they show everyone hauling ass tearing it up.... you would think they would show them enjoying the out doors and fishing or hunting....and being responsable...alot of the farmers use them out by me and they drive them slow and quiet hauling trailers,irrigation pipe etc. using them as a "tool" which is what they are.... but i do have one little shithead who is always going about 60 mph down my dirt road throwing dust 100 ft. into the air...but he`s no hunter he drives a 2 wheel drive suzuki blaster.... i caught him once.. and he has slowed a bit but i still see him ripping it up over across the street [ not my property]. i do agree with the adds [dirt bike mentality]

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wisco94
Back