ATV's out of control

Nut said:
You havent been reading much of what you post then :rolleyes: :p

Well I wanted to get somebody riled and it worked LMAO....shows ya how that some cant be educated. :rolleyes:

Coming from a flatlander from Ohio, that don't mean much! Keep to yer Squirrel hunting bitch! Maybe you can get some good advice from yer kin at OCC!

I think BHR hit the problem on the head. The manufacturers are selling an image which is not consistant with ethical riding. I believe that rider education should be a big responsibility of the manufacturer, much like that done by the major gun makers, and their participation in hunter education programs and gun safety. How many have seen any ads for firearms (or bows) in which the hunter/shooter guns a bunch of game and leaves it? Every gun ad I have seen promotes safety and ethical shooting. Who's to blame for the guys that haul out the old frig/stove/dryer/car door, shoot the crud out of it and leave it? The guy that did it.

Yes the manufacturers need to promote a better ethical image, BUT those breaking the law need to be held accountable for their actions. |oo

FCB, that you think it's funny that I'm looking for illegal riders is a joke, and flys in the face of the people HERE that are calling for policing of ranks. At least I'm doing something active against the problem. You on the other hand seem to see the issue in the same light as IT, they are out there breaking the law, but I just can't be bothered with the effort to get the needed information to the authorities. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Do you think that the nonhunter knows the difference between a hunter and a poacher (those that hunt illegally, even from ATVs are poaching)? :BLEEP: |oo

Ten Bears said:
"FCB, that you think it's funny that I'm looking for illegal riders is a joke"

Ten , You mean it's not ?

If you are out looking for illegal lazy slobs then good for you Ten Beers , you have my sincere appreciation . But here in Nevada it's still legal to ride machines all over Gods creation and the only thing I can do is verbally chastise the lazy slobs when I can catch up to them . Laws will have to be changed to keep these things on the roads , slob hunters will be slob hunters as long as it's legal .

WOW... i guess Arizona is the only place ...where according to some you can`t go off-road.....even to pick up legaly killed game.. WOW ...but in Nevada you can just about go any where? very confusing.

Wapiti Slayer said:
Coming from a flatlander from Ohio, that don't mean much! Keep to yer Squirrel hunting bitch! Maybe you can get some good advice from yer kin at OCC!

ROTFLMAO :D

Why is it that the first thing to be said is flatlander? :rolleyes: Yep I live where the land is flat. Big fuggin deal.

Squirrel hunting is for those who can hit a small target. :p

I do not kiss on first date btw ;)

I dont have any kin at OCC but maybe I can arrange a date for you since you seem to like it so much.

And I still say you do not read your own posts very much :rolleyes:

back to topic

The ATV comunity does not do much to police it's own ranks. It wants the people willing to walk to police it. Geez..... then they probably want the sportsmen to foot the bill for their education and enforcement also. So maybe when they lose they truthfully should blame theirselves(or is it themselves)

cjcj,

You're lack of knowledge of ATV use in various states and public lands is understandable since you dont own one.

I will say you're easily confused as its pretty easy to find out the ATV rules in any state or on any ownership in every State. Want some phone numbers???

Thats one of the big problems with ATVers, not only do they not know the rules governing the State or Land they're riding on/in, they dont want to know so they can continue to break the law..."Gee, I didnt know the rules".

I'm glad they dont know the rules or take the time to find out about them, makes them look even worse and its just that much quicker that legislation and/or regulations will keep them off public lands. The more they screw up, the quicker it will happen, so jump on the ATV's and let the good times roll...because its going to end real soon.

FAIRCHASEBEN said:
But here in Nevada it's still legal to ride machines all over Gods creation and the only thing I can do is verbally chastise the lazy slobs when I can catch up to them . Laws will have to be changed to keep these things on the roads , slob hunters will be slob hunters as long as it's legal .

FCB,

You don't have to rely on verbally chastizing the Fat-Assed ATV crowd. If you carry a Leatherman, you can make quick work of the spark plug wire. ;)

Buzz i`m not confused at all about Arizona....just threw out a little "sarcasm' thats all....yea its true i don`t own an ATV.. so you can keep those numbers in your pocket protector along with those "sharpened' pencils that you carry. Since i have/carry a map of "every " unit that i hunt in. I never have to worry about breaking any laws or rules....and i just bought a new map 2 months ago for unit 27 [turkey hunt]... its up to date [8 bucks] seems they keep going up.... guess we gotta support the "forest circus" [hope their not spending that map money on ATV`s] Cause they sure do own a nice fleet of them...but if you ever get confused again about Arizona.. just say so i`ll be glad to help you out with the latest Maps...but hey since we are having this conversation...I admit i know very little about game/offroad laws in other states...is it ok to go offroad in Nevada to pick up a tagged critter?

Even if its legal it still isn't right. ATV's need to stay on the roads (of which we have too many). I see the recent surge of ATV use as a blight on the hunting community. I have witnessed four wheelers chasing elk in the spring (in a lame attempt to get their sheds the "easy way") cross country. Then to be greated by some pinhead on a ATV on a closed road during hunting season can just about push a guy over the edge.

It is legal in Arizona to go off the road to retrieve a downed animal in most units. I had this same discussion on another board and called the Forest Service and Game and Fish and was told the same at both. If they catch you wheeling big tracks up then you get a ticket. That said I do own an ATV. I use it on forest roads to get back as far as I can from camp then hike up to hunt. I also have had fights with idiots who ride around at first and last light road hunting and mess up my hunts. There are pig hunters and pigs that hunt and that's that. I love the boys who think cutting wires on ATV's during the hunt is smart. I had three ATVs ride within 10 feet of me on a NM elk hunt and they were USO guys so ya never know where a hunter is. Good way to join the manmade teeth club with us old guys. If they were outlawed but trucks not then you would see the same fudgepackers driving the trucks around and wrecking the forest. If the area is closed off then that's a different story and I will hand you the cutters. That's my opinion so have at it.

Have to agree with [most]of your above post....most of the damage i have seen [huge ruts] has been caused by heavy 4x4`s..... But i won`t speak for other states/area`s.....but your first sentence is sure to be challenged [to death] by out-of-towners.

cj- I agree most of the damage to roads is from trucks/SUVs. I still don't think it is even in the same neighborhood as the amount of damage done by ATVs going cross country.

I think going cross country to get game is a pathetic excuse to tear up the country. Pack/drag the animal to the truck or to an open road/trail.

To add to pointers last comment...why is it that ATV hunters can (once in a while) walk into an area and shoot some game...but have a phobia about packing/dragging an animal out???

I say if you hike in and kill an animal you pack it out. Leave the ATV's on the roads where they belong.

Ithaca 37 said:
ringer, How aware are you of all the limits on ATVs in AZ? Read this recent topic:

http://www.hunttalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12328&page=3&pp=25

Make sure you get as far as post # 53. That's where we start learning about the restrictions-----then there's a lot more after that post.

Ithaca did you see CMC`s elk pic`s? in AZ? would you be saying he went offroad legaly to pick it up? I have seen hundreds of elk hunters go offroad to pick up their legaly killed elk...Every single one of them was legal. Most use pickups.

cjcj,

I'm going to be the first to call bullshit on you, I seriously doubt you've seen "hundreds of elk hunters drive offroad to pick up their elk"...

I'm also going to call bullshit that you knew whether they were legal or not...

cjcj, In the topic I've been referring to, ("Do you guys really believe that all ATV riders break the law?") you made it real clear that you had no idea what the law is in AZ concerning offroad driving of ATVs or any other vehicle.

You made this post: "Its ok to drive off road to pick up a dead critter [thats tagged] ? thats all i said and i stand by it because its legal and always has been legal, and you can try to pick on me all you want, hell Bring it on! but you have already verified what Buzz said i was full of crap about [legal to drive off road to pickup game]........."

We proved that it is not always legal to drive offroad to pick up game or do anything else. How much more plain can anyone make it? There are many restrictions on offroad use of vehichles in AZ. I can't imagine why you won't admit it or, even worse, keep claiming that it is legal when we all know it is not always legal. In fact, it seems like it usually is NOT legal.

Ithaca-What's your point? I read a bunch and this was the same stuff as the other site was arguing about. I have read page 69 and it does not forbid the use of an ATV to retreive game. I did call both services and they both told me the rules. You will be cited if they catch you tearing up a mud trail right after a rain to get your elk or riding across a meadow. If it is dry you can definitely ride off the road to retreive in the woods. I have only ridden off the road one time to get my elk and that was in NM. I really don't like them buzzing around me either but if it is legal and not in a restricted area then go get the laws changed or just keep whining about them. You guys can argue till u are blue but it is a waste of air IMO. As far as Arizona laws go I am right on this one. Later.

Ringer, You have to check with the agency that is managing the land, not the F&G Dept. The BLM, FS, or state is the agency that decides off road restrictions. That's where you and, it seems like, most other hunters are making the mistake. Just because F&G says it is legal does not make it so. The are not the agency with jurisdiction on off road travel. And different forests and BLM districts have different restrictions. Even the receptionists at the agencies don't know the rules, so don't rely on them.

Ringer,

I strongly suggest a couple things:

1. Whats printed in the AZGF regulations is that the MANAGING LAND AGENCY sets the off-road rules...so its up to the BLM, FS, or STATE to decide whether or not off-road travel for any reason (including game retrieval) is legal. IF and only IF no other off-road rules are in place by the managing agency, then its fine to go off-road to retrieve game...otherwise you're in violation of the managing land agencies off-road regulations, even if you're only going off-road to retrieve game. This was confirmed through phone calls made to the BLM, FS, State, and AZGF.

2. You better have a good map and know who's land you're on as thats the key to this debate. I know for sure that the Tonto and Coconino NF's have strict regulations regarding ATV use, and game retrieval is not an exception to their off-road regulations. Buy a good Forest Travel plan map as its well worth it to avoid being ticketed.

I'm not picking on you, but this is a classic example of why ATVers are cutting their own throats, they THINK they know the regulations, but in fact, are clueless.

Ignorance and complacency will put the final nail in the coffin of ATV use on public lands....

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiskeyRiver
Back